The long-term goal is to build a chip with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
IBM Research has debuted what it is boasting to be a “breakthrough” new software ecosystem and programming model inspired by the human brain.
Introduced amid the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks in Dallas this week, the cognitive computing project is a new silicon chip architecture inspired by the power, function and “compact volume” of the brain.
Also following up the introduction of two prototype cognitive computing chips back in 2011, IBM reps asserted that the particular model being unveiled today breaks the mold of sequential operation underlying the traditional von Neumann architecture separating CPU and memory.
They stipulated that traditional software and programming languages (i.e. Java or C++) would also not work on this type of chip because the architecture, while complimentary to existing computing systems, is fundamentally different.
It is instead tailored for a new class of distributed, highly interconnected, asynchronous, parallel, large-scale cognitive computing architectures.
Still, at it’s core, this project is about tackling one of the biggest items on the current and long-haul agenda at IBM: big data.
The long-term goal for Big Blue is to develop a chip platform with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
In a nutshell, the brain served as the inspiration for the groundwork to eventually support applications by using similar techniques and patterns in regards to human perception, action, and cognition.
The Latest on: Cognitive computing
- Synthesizing an artificial synapse for artificial intelligenceon December 6, 2019 at 8:18 am
The application could lead to the wide use of AI and revolutionary advances in cognitive computing, self-driving vehicles, and autonomous manufacturing. In addition to the research component of the ...
- Maximizing the digital workplace with new technologies and techniqueson December 4, 2019 at 11:42 am
The road to cognitive computing is paved with good intentions, Larsen said. She referenced Scott Likens, PwC, The Future of AI in America: What All Leaders Should Consider, February 2019 study that ...
- Cognitive Computing Market 2019 Strategic Assessment and Scenario - Google, IBM, Microsoft Corporation, Palantir, Saffron Technologyon December 2, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Global Cognitive Computing Market Size, Status And Forecast 2019-2025 studies the latest industry trends, market development aspects, market gains, and industry scenario during the forecast period.
- Cognitive Computing Market Analysis by Top Companies, Driver, Existing Trends and Global Forecast by 2026on December 2, 2019 at 7:30 pm
New Jersey United State, – Verified Market Research published research report provides In-depth Research on Cognitive Computing Market Size and Forecast to 2026. This report offers a complete and deep ...
- How IBM put Watson in spaceon December 2, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Space is a tricky thing. It may be vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big, as Douglas Adams once wrote, but the sophisticated tin cans that used to protect humans in space are relatively cramped. And the ...
- Global Healthcare Cognitive Computing - Market Size, Outlook and Growth Opportunities, 2019- 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 28, 2019 at 4:19 pm
The "Healthcare Cognitive Computing Market Size, Outlook and Growth Opportunities, 2019- 2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The 'Healthcare Cognitive Computing market ...
- Fueling Global Climate Research with Cognitive Computing Applicationson November 19, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The result is the emerging field of cognitive computing, a sub-field of artificial intelligence (AI) which simulates the human thought process via computerized models. This type of computing is still ...
- Stefanini partnered with IDG to conduct research about how cognitive technologies will transform the customer experienceon November 14, 2019 at 6:02 am
Eight in ten respondents (80 percent) highly rate the value of a virtual agent based on cognitive computing and AI, with natural language capabilities. A more specific breakdown of this rating is as ...
- Sinequa Ushers in The Era of Cognitive Computing with New Version of Its Cognitive Insight Platformon November 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm
By 2020, 50% of all business analytics software will include prescriptive analytics built on cognitive computing functionality. In order to achieve the quantum leap into the world of Cognitive ...
- Entering the Cognitive Era of Supply-Chain Optimizationon November 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Many supply-chain managers already get this. IBM reported in a survey this year that, among outperforming supply chain executives: 86% said cognitive computing will transform their demand planning and ...
via Google News and Bing News