The long-term goal is to build a chip with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
IBM Research has debuted what it is boasting to be a “breakthrough” new software ecosystem and programming model inspired by the human brain.
Introduced amid the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks in Dallas this week, the cognitive computing project is a new silicon chip architecture inspired by the power, function and “compact volume” of the brain.
Also following up the introduction of two prototype cognitive computing chips back in 2011, IBM reps asserted that the particular model being unveiled today breaks the mold of sequential operation underlying the traditional von Neumann architecture separating CPU and memory.
They stipulated that traditional software and programming languages (i.e. Java or C++) would also not work on this type of chip because the architecture, while complimentary to existing computing systems, is fundamentally different.
It is instead tailored for a new class of distributed, highly interconnected, asynchronous, parallel, large-scale cognitive computing architectures.
Still, at it’s core, this project is about tackling one of the biggest items on the current and long-haul agenda at IBM: big data.
The long-term goal for Big Blue is to develop a chip platform with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
In a nutshell, the brain served as the inspiration for the groundwork to eventually support applications by using similar techniques and patterns in regards to human perception, action, and cognition.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Latest Trends in Cognitive Systems and Computingon August 4, 2020 at 5:38 am
Adhering to the increasing trends for technology such as cognitive computing and systems, it is an appropriate approach to remain updated and relevant in the market. FREMONT, CA: In a market where ...
- Top Five BioPharma Adopts LifeSphere MultiVigilance to Automate Drug Safetyon August 3, 2020 at 9:55 am
ArisGlobal, the leading provider of life sciences software that automates drug development functions for over 300 life sciences companies, today announced that a large, top five global ...
- New Report: Cognitive Computing Market Size, Research Analysis and Share is Expected to Exhibit 53.73 Bn US$ in 2026on August 3, 2020 at 8:23 am
Selbyville, Delaware According to Market Study Report, Has Added A New Report On Cognitive Computing Market That Provides A Comprehensive Review Of This Industry With Respect To The Driving Forces ...
- Cloud API Market 2020| Future Growth, Leading Players (Google, TIBCO Software, Red Hat, VMware) Updates by Forecast till 2023on July 30, 2020 at 4:10 am
Speech recognition and cognitive computing are a few more applications of Cloud APIs, and these are rising for its capabilities. These developments are providing developers numerous opportunities to ...
- Cognitive Computing Industry- Global Market demand Analysis, Industry Chain, Competitors, Revenue and Forecast 2020 – 2026on July 30, 2020 at 2:36 am
Cognitive computing systems are developed by using machine learning algorithms and Natural Language Processing (NLP) ...
- Autonomous Data Platform Market Study, 2020-2025 - Increasing Need for Real-Time Information to Track and Monitor the Spread of COVID-19on July 29, 2020 at 10:00 am
Growth, Trends, and Forecasts (2020-2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Autonomous Data Platform Market is expected to register a CAGR of 21.7% over the ...
- Sinequa Ushers in The Era of Cognitive Computing with New Version of Its Cognitive Insight Platformon July 7, 2020 at 5:00 pm
By 2020, 50% of all business analytics software will include prescriptive analytics built on cognitive computing functionality. In order to achieve the quantum leap into the world of Cognitive ...
- Cognitive Computingon July 6, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Cognitive computing and machine learning are among the top buzzwords of 2016, and judging from the product roadmaps of most martech and adtech vendors, they’re going to dominate headlines again in ...
- Cognitive Computing Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities, Forecast 2020on July 6, 2020 at 9:06 am
Cognitive computing like many IT terms is defined both by its technical capability and applications and by marketing statements. From a technical standpoint, cognitive computing is a system that ...
- Fueling Global Climate Research with Cognitive Computing Applicationson June 30, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The result is the emerging field of cognitive computing, a sub-field of artificial intelligence (AI) which simulates the human thought process via computerized models. This type of computing is still ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- The 10 Coolest Big Data Platforms And Tools Of 2020 (So Far)on August 4, 2020 at 11:47 am
Here are 10 such big data platform and tool offerings that have caught our attention so far in 2020. Many of the featured products are new cloud Database-as-a-Service platforms and related software.
- Global Big data as a Service Industry Analysis 2020, Market Growth, Trends, Opportunities Forecast To 2025on August 4, 2020 at 10:53 am
A New Market Study, titled “Big data as a Service Market Upcoming Trends, Growth Drivers and Challenges” has been featured on WiseGuyReports. This report provides in depth study of “Big data as a ...
- Preparing for the next disruption: How a flexible data architecture improves business agilityon August 4, 2020 at 10:07 am
As the volume and types of data continue to grow, businesses need to integrate, manage, and secure in new ways that enable agility and more accurate decision-making.
- Why big data analytics are proving essential for pharmaon August 3, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Big data has the potential to become translated into 'big business' for pharmaceutical firms, despite the slow growth with analysis of large volumes of data using artificial intelligence solutions.
- Global Big Data as a Service (BDaaS) market is expected to reach $84.00 billion by 2027on August 3, 2020 at 11:30 am
According to Stratistics MRC, the Global Big Data as a Service (BDaaS) Market is accounted for $11.30 billion in 2019 and is expected to ...
- How The Customer Data Platform Plays A Role In Securing Big Dataon August 3, 2020 at 10:22 am
A new market research report shows that by 2027, the overall big data security market will grow to $64.4 billion. A Look at how Customer Data Platforms help enable better security of customer data.
- PISR Database, the Next Best Marriage Between Blockchain and Big-dataon August 3, 2020 at 4:45 am
The demand for large-scale development of distributed business calls for the birth of a new generation of blockchain infrastructure, and PISR enterprise-level distributed database takes into account ...
- Migrating big astronomy data to the cloudon August 3, 2020 at 4:11 am
But as the amount of data that telescopes produce grows, well, astronomically, old methods can’t keep pace. The Vera C. Rubin Observatory in Chile is geared up to collect 20 terabytes per night as ...
- Essential Science: Can big data solve our environmental problems?on August 2, 2020 at 8:36 pm
Big data itself can assist with environmental problems if directed by the right policies. By applying the correct algorithms and orientating a study in a particular direction, then the potential power ...
- VCs say that these 29 companies are the top startups in the booming big data industryon August 1, 2020 at 6:40 am
Here are the 29 top data startups, according to venture capitalists, including why they are expected to boom, and how much they've raised.