The long-term goal is to build a chip with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
IBM Research has debuted what it is boasting to be a “breakthrough” new software ecosystem and programming model inspired by the human brain.
Introduced amid the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks in Dallas this week, the cognitive computing project is a new silicon chip architecture inspired by the power, function and “compact volume” of the brain.
Also following up the introduction of two prototype cognitive computing chips back in 2011, IBM reps asserted that the particular model being unveiled today breaks the mold of sequential operation underlying the traditional von Neumann architecture separating CPU and memory.
They stipulated that traditional software and programming languages (i.e. Java or C++) would also not work on this type of chip because the architecture, while complimentary to existing computing systems, is fundamentally different.
It is instead tailored for a new class of distributed, highly interconnected, asynchronous, parallel, large-scale cognitive computing architectures.
Still, at it’s core, this project is about tackling one of the biggest items on the current and long-haul agenda at IBM: big data.
The long-term goal for Big Blue is to develop a chip platform with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
In a nutshell, the brain served as the inspiration for the groundwork to eventually support applications by using similar techniques and patterns in regards to human perception, action, and cognition.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Hybrid cloud set to drive digital transformation: IBM’s Viswanath Ramaswamyon November 27, 2020 at 5:56 pm
With India accelerating its digital initiative, IBM is striving to put the country on the global innovation map by embedding ‘good tech’ in everything that it does and leveraging the power of new-age ...
- Cognitive Computing Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026on November 26, 2020 at 10:32 pm
Latest update on Cognitive Computing Market Analysis report published with an extensive market research, Cognitive Computing market growth analysis and Projection by - 2025. this report is highly ...
- Live Now: Cognitive Computing Market Size, Share and Trend to Generate Lucrative Returns By 2026on November 26, 2020 at 1:50 am
Selbyville, Delaware Global Cognitive Computing Market is valued approximately at USD 9.16073 billion in 2018 and ...
- On AI And Ad Tech: 3 Questions For IBM’s Bob Lordon November 23, 2020 at 5:05 am
IBM has started prioritizing practical advertising applications of its cognitive computing system, Watson. AdExchanger talks to Bob Lord about it.
- Cognitive Computing Market is anticipated to exhibit a high CAGR of 23% over the forecast period of 2020 to 2030 - Persistence Market Researchon November 20, 2020 at 4:30 am
Cognitive computing solutions utilize a combination of Artificial Intelligence (AI), neural networks, Machine Learning (ML), Natural ...
- Peloton Collaborates with Sfile Technologyon November 19, 2020 at 11:00 am
HOUSTON, Nov. 19, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Peloton is pleased to announce that our Well Data Lifecycle Team is now collaborating with Sfile, a cognitive computing company. The opportunity to align Sfile's ...
- Savvy enterprises can mimic success of cognitive AI in healthcareon November 18, 2020 at 5:03 am
Cognitive technologies are being deployed to solve the world’s biggest challenges. AI-based bots are working side-by-side with humans to increase quality and efficiency. Here’s how enterprises can put ...
- Healthcare Cognitive Computing Marketon November 12, 2020 at 1:54 am
Global Healthcare Cognitive Computing Market Size, Share, Industry Trends, Growth Analysis, Industry Report from DBMR highlights deep analysis on market characteristics, sizing, estimates and ...
- Fueling Global Climate Research with Cognitive Computing Applicationson November 8, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The result is the emerging field of cognitive computing, a sub-field of artificial intelligence (AI) which simulates the human thought process via computerized models. This type of computing is still ...
- Global Cognitive Informatics Markets, 2020-2025 - Cognitive Informatics will become an Integral Component of Human-Machine Systems and Solutionson November 2, 2020 at 5:08 am
It also evaluates the impact of 5G, edge computing, and IoT on the cognitive informatics market. All forecasts provide a market outlook from 2020 through 2025. The report also provides specific ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Big banks think new furniture is innovation, but they are wrongon November 28, 2020 at 1:40 am
If banks won’t focus on real innovations, they might lose market share to crypto companies and fintech startups.
- Big Data and Analytics in Telecom Market Next Big Thing : Major Giants Splunk, Couchbase, Teradataon November 27, 2020 at 12:32 pm
This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire Edison, NJ -- ( SBWIRE) -- 11/27/2020 -- A new business intelligence report released by HTF MI with title "Global Big Data And Analytics In ...
- Big data powers design of 'smart' cell therapies for canceron November 26, 2020 at 11:02 am
Finding medicines that can kill cancer cells while leaving normal tissue unscathed is a Holy Grail of oncology research. In two new papers, scientists at UC San Francisco and Princeton University ...
- UN warns law enforcement against using ‘big data’ to discriminateon November 26, 2020 at 10:09 am
UN experts urged law enforcement groups around the world to ensure that the data they collect from AI is used properly.
- Europe dabbles with big data protectionismon November 26, 2020 at 9:26 am
The European Commission seems to think that if it improves data sharing within the bloc, that might give it a better shot at taking on US big tech.
- U.N. Decries Police Use of Racial Profiling Derived From Big Dataon November 26, 2020 at 8:47 am
Police and border guards must combat racial profiling and ensure that their use of "big data" collected via artificial intelligence does not reinforce biases against minorities, United Nations experts ...
- Global Big Data Analytics in Retail Market 2020-2024 by Vendors, Market Expansion, technology, supplies, production, profiton November 26, 2020 at 6:22 am
The report focuses on the favorable Global “Big Data Analytics in Retail market” and its expanding nature. The Big ...
- Hadoop Big Data Analytics Market Segments, Future Demand, Market Growth, Recent Trends, Top Playerson November 26, 2020 at 4:00 am
Global Hadoop Big Data Analytics Market is a trending market expected to witness substantial growth during the forecast period, from 2020 – 2027. The scope of this particular report covers market ...
- 7 big data goals for 2021: AI, DevOps, hybrid cloud, and moreon November 26, 2020 at 4:00 am
If you're thinking about your big data for next year, here are some goals you should have in mind. In 2021, corporate big data leaders will be looking to improve data quality and turnaround of big ...
- Climate Researchers Enlist Big Cloud Providers for Big Data Challengeson November 25, 2020 at 7:30 am
Amazon, Google and Microsoft increasingly are providing the computing muscle scientists need to glean insights from vast stores of climate data.