The long-term goal is to build a chip with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
IBM Research has debuted what it is boasting to be a “breakthrough” new software ecosystem and programming model inspired by the human brain.
Introduced amid the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks in Dallas this week, the cognitive computing project is a new silicon chip architecture inspired by the power, function and “compact volume” of the brain.
Also following up the introduction of two prototype cognitive computing chips back in 2011, IBM reps asserted that the particular model being unveiled today breaks the mold of sequential operation underlying the traditional von Neumann architecture separating CPU and memory.
They stipulated that traditional software and programming languages (i.e. Java or C++) would also not work on this type of chip because the architecture, while complimentary to existing computing systems, is fundamentally different.
It is instead tailored for a new class of distributed, highly interconnected, asynchronous, parallel, large-scale cognitive computing architectures.
Still, at it’s core, this project is about tackling one of the biggest items on the current and long-haul agenda at IBM: big data.
The long-term goal for Big Blue is to develop a chip platform with 10 billion neurons and a hundred trillion synapses — all while only consuming roughly a kilowatt of power and taking up less than two liters in volume.
In a nutshell, the brain served as the inspiration for the groundwork to eventually support applications by using similar techniques and patterns in regards to human perception, action, and cognition.
The Latest on: Cognitive computing
- Cognitive Computingon January 24, 2020 at 10:14 am
Considering the rising trends for technology like cognitive computing and systems is an appropriate approach to stay updated and relevant in the market. Where every technology is tending to become ...
- Cloud-Native Cognitive Computing How to Get Ready For The Next Frontier in AIon January 24, 2020 at 5:44 am
When we talk about cognitive computing, we are referring to a set of technologies designed to mimic the way the human brain works. They work a little differently from “narrow” AI. Put simply, (narrow) ...
- Cognitive Computing Technology Market 2020 - 2023: Business Trends, Emerging Technologies, Size, Global Segments and industry Profit Growthon January 22, 2020 at 2:00 am
Cognitive Computing Technology Market Overview: Cognitive computing technology market is growing at the rapid pace. Increasing volume of unstructured data and advancements in technology are the major ...
- Global Cognitive Computing Market, Trends, Analysis, Opportunities, Share and Forecast – 2019-2025on January 21, 2020 at 2:57 am
Rise in the development of an integrated cloud platform and artificial intelligence is projected to sustain the growth of the global cognitive computing market. The major driving factors that help in ...
- Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Computing Market Foreseen to Grow Exponentially by 2026on January 20, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Ameco Research announced the latest market research report on “Global Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Computing Market: Global Industry Size, Share, Trends and Forecast, 2019-2026". A report on ...
- Cognitive Computing 2020 Global Market – Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies & Forecasts 2026on January 9, 2020 at 2:13 am
The global cognitive computing market is anticipated to reach USD 53.73 billion by 2026. The growth of the industry is highly attributed to the constantly increasing concern of many enterprises to ...
- Cognitive computing and machine-machine business modelson January 6, 2020 at 10:34 am
Cognitive computing can be understood as a set of technologies based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its subareas: machine learning, natural language processing (NLP) and neural networks.
- Worldwide Growth Of Cognitive Computing Market During 2020-2029 | CAGR, Volumes, Value and Development Factorson December 26, 2019 at 9:29 pm
The global Cognitive Computing report offers the weaknesses as well as strong points of the established market players. It analyses various features of the Cognitive Computing market such as ...
- COGNITIVE COMPUTING MARKET Analysis; By Key Players, Applications, Growth Trends, Share & Segment Forecast to 2023on December 20, 2019 at 10:41 pm
The Cognitive Computing empowers a machine to think, translate and construe data like a human cerebrum. The greatest headway in this market is IBM’s Watson Cognitive Computing. There are couple ...
- Did you know why cognitive computing has become a game-changer for business?on December 6, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The thing is, employing cognitive computing in big data analysis helps organizations process information faster and make more informed and balanced business decisions. The main difference between ...
via Google News and Bing News