A new study shows that serious illness, struggling to hold down a regular job, and poor social relationships are just some of the adverse outcomes in adulthood faced by those exposed to bullying in childhood.
It has long been acknowledged that bullying at a young age presents a problem for schools, parents and public policy makers alike. Although children spend more time with their peers than their parents, there is relatively little published research on understanding the impact of these interactions on their lives beyond school.
The results of the new study, published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, highlight the extent to which the risk of problems related to health, poverty, and social relationships are heightened by exposure to bullying. The study is notable because it looks into many factors that go beyond health-related outcomes.
Psychological scientists Dieter Wolke of the University of Warwick and William E. Copeland of Duke University Medical Center led the research team, looking beyond the study of victims and investigating the impact on all those affected: the victims, the bullies themselves, and those who fall into both categories, so-called “bully-victims.”
“We cannot continue to dismiss bullying as a harmless, almost inevitable, part of growing up,” says Wolke. “We need to change this mindset and acknowledge this as a serious problem for both the individual and the country as a whole; the effects are long-lasting and significant.”
The ‘bully-victims’ were at greatest risk for health problems in adulthood, over six times more likely to be diagnosed with a serious illness, smoke regularly, or develop a psychiatric disorder compared to those not involved in bullying.
The results show that bully-victims are perhaps the most vulnerable group of all. This group may turn to bullying after being bullied themselves as they may lack the emotional regulation or support required to cope with it.
“In the case of bully-victims, it shows how bullying can spread when left untreated,” Wolke added. “Some interventions are already available in schools but new tools are needed to help health professionals to identify, monitor, and deal with the ill-effects of bullying. The challenge we face now is committing the time and resources to these interventions to try and put an end to bullying.”
All the groups were more than twice as likely to have difficulty in keeping a job, or committing to saving compared to those not involved in bullying. As such, they displayed a higher propensity for being impoverished in young adulthood.
However, the study revealed very few ill effects of being the bully.
The Latest Bing News on:
Effects of Bullying
- Health experts say effects of bullying can be long-lasting, lead to depression, anxietyon June 17, 2020 at 2:41 pm
If your child is being bullied, medical experts from UnityPoint Health, Unity Place say the impacts can be long-lasting. The President of Unity Place says up to 70 ...
- BAFTA winner Brenda Blethyn joins film project with Kent Youth Theatre, spotlighting the tragic effects of bullyingon June 15, 2020 at 10:04 pm
A youth theatre director has enlisted the help of a Golden Globe and BAFTA winner to bring his "bullycide" film project to life. Brenda Blethyn, who starred in Pride and Prejudice and ITV drama Vera, ...
- Gay-Straight Alliances at School Cut Bullying for LGBTQ Youthon June 15, 2020 at 3:00 pm
LGBTQ students attending schools with gay-straight alliance programs in place reported experiencing less bullying and better health outcomes than their LGBTQ peers whose schools lacked such ...
- Winmar documentary set to enter productionon June 4, 2020 at 12:53 pm
He said the documentary would show "the ripple effect of bullying, racism and how it impacts on a person's mental health". Dickson said there had been "a few attempts" to tell Winmar's story ...
- Grad Profile: An education reclaimedon June 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm
While he did well in the classroom early on as a child, even skipping a grade, he later struggled to maintain focus — in part, due to lingering effects of bullying and abuse he suffered at Catholic ...
- Experts fear a deluge of suicides due to COVIDon May 27, 2020 at 2:10 pm
Some risk factors are linked to being gay or bisexual in a hostile environment and the effects that this has on mental health." Bullying is a common factor, as confirmed by a study released May 26.
- Hana Kimura Tribute From WWE's Paige Calls Bullying 'Cruel' and 'Disgusting'on May 23, 2020 at 1:39 pm
RIP to this beautiful young woman. ". The effects of bullying in Kimura's life were significant, as one of Kimura's last messages described the sheer amount of bullying she was facing and ...
- Superintendent teams up with company to teach students the effects of bullying through virtual realityon November 23, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Nearly a third admitted to bullying others in the same time frame. Nikki Battiste reports.
- ‘Don’t be afraid to stand up’ against bullying: Ferrignoon October 18, 2019 at 12:20 pm
To deal with the effects of bullying, Ferrigno turned to weightlifting and bodybuilding and went on to become a two-time Mr. Universe bodybuilder and a successful actor. "As a kid, I was afraid to ...
- Jonathan Van Ness Opens Up About The Long-Lasting Effects Of Bullyingon October 2, 2019 at 8:44 am
Jonathan Van Ness spoke out about being bullied for his gender expression and sexual orientation as a child in a powerful new interview with The Trevor Project. Van Ness, who is non-binary and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Effects of Bullying
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- Tackling the Unsolvable Problem: The Bottomless Email Inboxon June 29, 2020 at 5:31 pm
That’s because email, which has been around for as long as we can remember using the internet, is a source of pain with no ... Last week, I used Yelp to contact some electronics repair shops for ...
- Communications With Reputation Repair Firm Aren't Privilegedon June 29, 2020 at 2:59 pm
for plaintiff and FINRA to counteract and thus mitigate damages from the defamatory statements concerning plaintiff on the internet, [arising] from his work with FINRA, about which he sues.
- 4 Online Tools to Fix Your Financeson June 29, 2020 at 10:32 am
The Internet has changed the way we shop, get news and keep in touch. But it can also help organize your finances -- sometimes in ways you wouldn't expect. Here are four tools to get your budgets and ...
- Under Center Podcast: Chris Simms talks Bears and the NFC Northon June 29, 2020 at 5:40 am
JJ Stankevitz and Chris Simms discuss who should be at the top of the NFC North this season and discuss what Matt Nagy needs to do to fix his offense.
- Marketing & Technology Data Is Racist & Biased: Here’s How Marketers Can Fix Iton June 29, 2020 at 5:04 am
Learn what implicit bias is, how it affects marketing data and technology, why it’s important to recognize in marketing, and what marketers can do.
- The best indoor TV antennas: fix bad television signals with a new indoor aerialon June 29, 2020 at 2:32 am
Our list of the best indoor TV aerials helps you to say goodbye to glitchy TV channels and awkward programme pauses ...
- These are the most common Pixelbook problems, and how to fix themon June 24, 2020 at 3:03 am
If resetting doesn’t fix your Chrome OS issue, you have a more “nuclear ... for a few minutes until the Pixelbook and Android phone shakes hands over the internet. With your Android phone now linked, ...
- Get your Lavender in the Village fix in a kiton June 20, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Lavender in the Village draws thousands of people to the Village of Los Ranchos each year. This year eventgoers will not be able to browse vendor booths but they can still purchase products from some ...
- AMD says it will fix new CPU bugs by the end of June 2020on June 19, 2020 at 11:00 pm
AMD Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) processors released between 2016 and 2019 impacted by new "SMM Callout" bugs.
- Now Is the Time to Fix the Programmatic Pipes: Christiana Cacciapuoti, AdLedgeron June 18, 2020 at 4:58 am
Now is the time to take the necessary steps to fix the programmatic pipes ... Cryptography is the reason for your peace of mind in these scenarios, and a major reason the internet gained such mass ...