A new type of water cleanup technology that can effectively and efficiently remove organic contaminants from large quantities of water, without using any added chemicals, could be a huge step forward for aquaculture and the world’s growing farmed fish operations.
In 2011, the production of farmed fish worldwide surpassed global beef production for the first time, and the industry shows no sign of slowing down. However, producing fish at those levels comes with its own set of challenges that require solutions, including the need to constantly remove ammonia and kill harmful bacteria and other aquatic pathogens in the water.
The new water cleanup technology, Electro Water Separation™ (EWS), is said to be a three-in-one solution that could lead to a more sustainable and viable farmed fish industry, because it not only cleans and sanitizes both the supply and the discharge water cost-effectively, but it can also harvest algae for use as fish feed. The discharge waters, which are nitrogen-rich, can then be used to feed the algae ponds, which may help aquaculture operations to “close the loop” a bit more.
The EWS technology works in two stages:
- Electro-Coagulation: contaminated water enters the first stage, which is a proprietary electro-coagulation process. In this stage, mild electrical impulses are applied in long tubes, causing the organic contaminants to coagulate, or “clump” together.
- Electro-Flotation: the clumped-up material travels into a second stage where low power electrical pulses generate a cloud of micro-bubbles that gently lifts the concentrate to the surface for harvesting.
Originally developed as part of OriginOil’s algae systems, the EWS system is capable of removing up to 99% of the water for algae harvesting, and can extract more than 98% of the biomass in the first pass. In addition, the EWS system can remove 98% of bacteria from harvested algae, which helps to keep it for rotting for up to 5 days, without refrigeration.
The Latest on: Breakthrough water tech
- MobileDemand Innovation – New Rugged Cases with Productivity Options…on July 23, 2019 at 1:23 pm
These breakthrough cases include options to allow users to scan ... The cases can also be outfitted to take mobile payments with credit card readers with MagTek® or ID TECH® magnetic stripe readers ... […]
- New NSF awards target breakthrough technologies to enhance food securityon July 23, 2019 at 11:45 am
Imagine crops that required less water because a "wearable sensor" could "grow ... high-reward" fundamental research in these new Breakthrough Technologies awards. "This competition called for ... […]
- GenCell appoints Amorele Technology to accelerate fuel cell adoption in The Philippineson July 23, 2019 at 3:21 am
Initially targeted at first responders, local businesses and the military, the breakthrough solutions will work to ... To support the Philippines moving towards green technologies and renewable energy ... […]
- HealthyWelthy LLC Is Now Distributor Of NIKKEN Wellness Productson July 23, 2019 at 1:05 am
"NIKKEN's revolutionary product line, breakthrough research ... is now promoting NIKKEN products and technologies online to promote healthy well-being. For more than 40 years, the Japanese wellness ... […]
- Microsoft invests $1 billion to OpenAI for new supercomputing techon July 22, 2019 at 8:19 am
"By bringing together OpenAI's breakthrough technology with new Azure AI supercomputing technologies ... find out which one of these three wireless earphones can handle the most water. ... […]
- CISBAY'S Breakthrough Microbial Solution for Pecanson July 22, 2019 at 5:38 am
July 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Cisbay Global, a leader in microbial technology solutions ... the Pecan Store and Farmers Water Co., an Arizona water utility, and employs more than 300 people ... […]
- Should we go back to the moon?on July 21, 2019 at 4:52 pm
The moment stands as one of the signature events in American history and marked a major breakthrough in scientific ... and as an opportunity to test new technology for human excursions into ... […]
- Ten breakthrough technologies to feed the worldon July 18, 2019 at 7:02 pm
One way to boost crop yields sustainably (without over-application of fertilisers or over-extraction of irrigation water) is to unlock traits in crop genes that increase yields. CRISPR technology, ... […]
- VIKING Wins Breakthrough Order for HydroPenon July 17, 2019 at 11:59 am
What’s more, the system only requires a ship’s existing fire hoses and water pressure to function. For some years now, the maritime sector has experienced breaches of various computer and information ... […]
- 10 Breakthrough Technologies That Can Help Feed the World Without Destroying Iton July 15, 2019 at 8:57 pm
One way to boost crop yields sustainably (without over-application of fertilizers or over-extraction of irrigation water) is to unlock traits in crop genes that increase yields. CRISPR technology, ... […]
via Google News and Bing News