A new type of water cleanup technology that can effectively and efficiently remove organic contaminants from large quantities of water, without using any added chemicals, could be a huge step forward for aquaculture and the world’s growing farmed fish operations.
In 2011, the production of farmed fish worldwide surpassed global beef production for the first time, and the industry shows no sign of slowing down. However, producing fish at those levels comes with its own set of challenges that require solutions, including the need to constantly remove ammonia and kill harmful bacteria and other aquatic pathogens in the water.
The new water cleanup technology, Electro Water Separation™ (EWS), is said to be a three-in-one solution that could lead to a more sustainable and viable farmed fish industry, because it not only cleans and sanitizes both the supply and the discharge water cost-effectively, but it can also harvest algae for use as fish feed. The discharge waters, which are nitrogen-rich, can then be used to feed the algae ponds, which may help aquaculture operations to “close the loop” a bit more.
The EWS technology works in two stages:
- Electro-Coagulation: contaminated water enters the first stage, which is a proprietary electro-coagulation process. In this stage, mild electrical impulses are applied in long tubes, causing the organic contaminants to coagulate, or “clump” together.
- Electro-Flotation: the clumped-up material travels into a second stage where low power electrical pulses generate a cloud of micro-bubbles that gently lifts the concentrate to the surface for harvesting.
Originally developed as part of OriginOil’s algae systems, the EWS system is capable of removing up to 99% of the water for algae harvesting, and can extract more than 98% of the biomass in the first pass. In addition, the EWS system can remove 98% of bacteria from harvested algae, which helps to keep it for rotting for up to 5 days, without refrigeration.
The Latest on: Breakthrough water tech
- Unifi Manufacturing to upgrade its texturing capabilities in the Americas with exclusive use of unique new technologyon June 25, 2019 at 1:49 pm
REMSCHEID, Germany, June 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Oerlikon's new eAFK Evo texturing machine, which was unveiled to select clients at the ITMA trade fair in Barcelona, has proven to be a breakthrough . ... […]
- Trait Biosciences Secures Breakthrough Patents for Truly Water-soluble Cannabinoidson June 25, 2019 at 9:39 am
today announced the US Patent and Trademarks Office ("USPTO") has allowed it patent protection for breakthrough technology platforms that produce truly water-soluble cannabinoids and dramatically ... […]
- A Plan to Mine the Minnesota Wilderness Hit a Dead End. Then Trump Became President.on June 25, 2019 at 6:19 am
Ivanka Trump, left, and Jared Kushner, second from left, two of the president’s closest advisers.CreditAlex Wong/Getty Images But the mining project’s breakthrough ... to study the region’s geology ... […]
- The chemical recycling technology that might unlock a plastic neutral Australiaon June 24, 2019 at 11:10 pm
A breakthrough technology that turns plastics back into oil is now commercially ... and other materials back into oils (where the plastics came from originally), using water as the change agent. This ... […]
- New sustainable technologies for wood-to-textile value chain enables increased production of man-made cellulose fibres in Europeon June 18, 2019 at 2:02 pm
The project will improve the existing wood-to-textile value chains by developing breakthrough technologies that can open up the ... properties open up the possibility for targeted and water-scarce ... […]
- Cork Airport uses eco-friendly technology to turn tap water into cleaning agent stronger than bleachon June 17, 2019 at 9:37 am
CORK Airport is slashing the impact of chemicals on the environment by using a new breakthrough cleaning technology ... but is as safe as normal water. Globally, this technology has eliminated the ... […]
- Polar bear’s fur inspires Chinese breakthrough in super insulator for spaceon June 17, 2019 at 4:42 am
What can withstand heat of more than 1,000 degrees Celsius (1,832 Fahrenheit), maintain its elasticity in extreme cold, and dry almost instantly after being submerged in water? The answer ... the ... […]
- NATO tests smart energy technologies at exercise in Polandon June 13, 2019 at 10:21 pm
NATO tested new energy-saving technologies in Poland during ... diesel contamination and pollution of primary water sources, which required a smart energy response. "We had two major break-through ... […]
- Alien life BREAKTHROUGH: Study narrows search area for advanced life in the universeon June 13, 2019 at 9:10 am
READ MORE: Astronomer says look HERE for proof of alien life - ‘I’m hopeful’ Complex life on Earth exists because our planet sits in a so-called “habitable zone” where the conditions are right for ... […]
- The largest water slide in Benidorm was officially openedon June 12, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Aqualandia Water Park Maybe you're interested in: City of the future in 2035: City breakthrough AI technology application Of course, there’s no shame in being an adult who’s happier to stick ... […]
via Google News and Bing News