A new type of water cleanup technology that can effectively and efficiently remove organic contaminants from large quantities of water, without using any added chemicals, could be a huge step forward for aquaculture and the world’s growing farmed fish operations.
In 2011, the production of farmed fish worldwide surpassed global beef production for the first time, and the industry shows no sign of slowing down. However, producing fish at those levels comes with its own set of challenges that require solutions, including the need to constantly remove ammonia and kill harmful bacteria and other aquatic pathogens in the water.
The new water cleanup technology, Electro Water Separation™ (EWS), is said to be a three-in-one solution that could lead to a more sustainable and viable farmed fish industry, because it not only cleans and sanitizes both the supply and the discharge water cost-effectively, but it can also harvest algae for use as fish feed. The discharge waters, which are nitrogen-rich, can then be used to feed the algae ponds, which may help aquaculture operations to “close the loop” a bit more.
The EWS technology works in two stages:
- Electro-Coagulation: contaminated water enters the first stage, which is a proprietary electro-coagulation process. In this stage, mild electrical impulses are applied in long tubes, causing the organic contaminants to coagulate, or “clump” together.
- Electro-Flotation: the clumped-up material travels into a second stage where low power electrical pulses generate a cloud of micro-bubbles that gently lifts the concentrate to the surface for harvesting.
Originally developed as part of OriginOil’s algae systems, the EWS system is capable of removing up to 99% of the water for algae harvesting, and can extract more than 98% of the biomass in the first pass. In addition, the EWS system can remove 98% of bacteria from harvested algae, which helps to keep it for rotting for up to 5 days, without refrigeration.
The Latest on: Breakthrough water tech
- The chemical recycling technology that might unlock a plastic neutral Australiaon June 24, 2019 at 11:10 pm
A breakthrough technology that turns plastics back into oil is now commercially ... and other materials back into oils (where the plastics came from originally), using water as the change agent. This ... […]
- Bill Gates and MIT Have Predicted the World's Next 10 Big Innovations. Here's What They All Have in Commonon June 22, 2019 at 6:21 pm
Every one of these "breakthrough technologies" has begun the long journey to wide adoption ... producing a pound of meat protein with Western industrialized methods requires 4 to 25 times more water, ... […]
- Cork Airport uses eco-friendly technology to turn tap water into cleaning agent stronger than bleachon June 17, 2019 at 9:37 am
CORK Airport is slashing the impact of chemicals on the environment by using a new breakthrough cleaning technology ... but is as safe as normal water. Globally, this technology has eliminated the ... […]
- Polar bear’s fur inspires Chinese breakthrough in super insulator for spaceon June 17, 2019 at 4:42 am
What can withstand heat of more than 1,000 degrees Celsius (1,832 Fahrenheit), maintain its elasticity in extreme cold, and dry almost instantly after being submerged in water? The answer ... the ... […]
- NATO tests smart energy technologies at exercise in Polandon June 13, 2019 at 10:21 pm
NATO tested new energy-saving technologies in Poland during ... diesel contamination and pollution of primary water sources, which required a smart energy response. "We had two major break-through ... […]
- Alien life BREAKTHROUGH: Study narrows search area for advanced life in the universeon June 13, 2019 at 9:10 am
READ MORE: Astronomer says look HERE for proof of alien life - ‘I’m hopeful’ Complex life on Earth exists because our planet sits in a so-called “habitable zone” where the conditions are right for ... […]
- The largest water slide in Benidorm was officially openedon June 12, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Aqualandia Water Park Maybe you're interested in: City of the future in 2035: City breakthrough AI technology application Of course, there’s no shame in being an adult who’s happier to stick ... […]
- Chemists Promise Breakthrough in Crisp Packet Technologyon June 12, 2019 at 10:36 am
The nanosheet is made from amino acids and water so doesn't impact on the outer plastic's recyclability in anyway, plus it's apparently more effective as an oxygen barrier than current foil coating ... […]
- Miros Speed Through Water: A Breakthrough in Accurate Speed Measurement to Optimise Fuel Efficiencyon June 11, 2019 at 3:29 pm
This is a breakthrough in efficient ... believes Miros’ technology can contribute to significant fuel savings for the company. “I estimate up to 10% fuel savings using Miros Speed Through Water, which ... […]
- Miros: A Breakthrough in Speed Measurement to Optimize Fuel Efficiencyon June 11, 2019 at 2:19 pm
The new technology adds another piece to the fuel ... will lead to significant cost efficiencies for ship owners. This is a breakthrough in efficient and data-driven ship performance management ... […]
via Google News and Bing News