A new type of water cleanup technology that can effectively and efficiently remove organic contaminants from large quantities of water, without using any added chemicals, could be a huge step forward for aquaculture and the world’s growing farmed fish operations.
In 2011, the production of farmed fish worldwide surpassed global beef production for the first time, and the industry shows no sign of slowing down. However, producing fish at those levels comes with its own set of challenges that require solutions, including the need to constantly remove ammonia and kill harmful bacteria and other aquatic pathogens in the water.
The new water cleanup technology, Electro Water Separation™ (EWS), is said to be a three-in-one solution that could lead to a more sustainable and viable farmed fish industry, because it not only cleans and sanitizes both the supply and the discharge water cost-effectively, but it can also harvest algae for use as fish feed. The discharge waters, which are nitrogen-rich, can then be used to feed the algae ponds, which may help aquaculture operations to “close the loop” a bit more.
The EWS technology works in two stages:
- Electro-Coagulation: contaminated water enters the first stage, which is a proprietary electro-coagulation process. In this stage, mild electrical impulses are applied in long tubes, causing the organic contaminants to coagulate, or “clump” together.
- Electro-Flotation: the clumped-up material travels into a second stage where low power electrical pulses generate a cloud of micro-bubbles that gently lifts the concentrate to the surface for harvesting.
Originally developed as part of OriginOil’s algae systems, the EWS system is capable of removing up to 99% of the water for algae harvesting, and can extract more than 98% of the biomass in the first pass. In addition, the EWS system can remove 98% of bacteria from harvested algae, which helps to keep it for rotting for up to 5 days, without refrigeration.
The Latest on: Breakthrough water tech
- VIKING Wins Breakthrough Order for HydroPenon July 17, 2019 at 11:59 am
What’s more, the system only requires a ship’s existing fire hoses and water pressure to function. For some years now, the maritime sector has experienced breaches of various computer and information ... […]
- CTI introduces industry’s first solvent thermochromic colour-changing inkon July 17, 2019 at 3:05 am
However, using water-based inks inside a solvent plant created challenges ... Lyle Small. “CTI had a technology breakthrough inventing solvent-thermochromic inks that can be delivered as a single, ... […]
- HyperSolar Secures Solar Cells for GEN 1 Pilot Planton July 16, 2019 at 9:30 am
SANTA BARBARA, CA , July 16, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- HyperSolar, Inc. (HYSR), the developer of a breakthrough technology to produce renewable hydrogen using sunlight and water, announced today ... […]
- Liquid I.V. Announces $5M Funding Roundon July 16, 2019 at 8:22 am
360-degree wellness brand Liquid I.V., renowned for its non-GMO drink mixes utilizing the breakthrough science of Cellular Transport Technology (CTT), has recently ... same hydration as drinking 2-3 ... […]
- 10 Breakthrough Technologies That Can Help Feed the World Without Destroying Iton July 15, 2019 at 8:57 pm
One way to boost crop yields sustainably (without over-application of fertilizers or over-extraction of irrigation water) is to unlock traits in crop genes that increase yields. CRISPR technology, ... […]
- Geelong textiles business Proficiency Contracting reveals industry breakthrough secreton July 14, 2019 at 7:01 am
A GEELONG engineering firm set to scale-up the laboratory prototype of an advanced textile coating system hailed as worldwide industry breakthrough is accustomed ... Partnering with textile technology ... […]
- Imaging Method Can Help Decontaminate Drinking Wateron July 11, 2019 at 9:35 pm
A breakthrough imaging technique developed by Cornell researchers in Ithaca, New York (US) shows promise in decontaminating water by yielding surprising ... “Therefore, we expect COMPEITS to be a ... […]
- Water breakthrough: Device uses solar power to produce clean water - and electricityon July 10, 2019 at 7:01 am
Mr Wang, who is based at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia, where the researchers undertook their pioneering work, told Express.co.uk the potential benefits were ... […]
- These are the top 10 emerging technologies of 2019on July 9, 2019 at 2:56 am
Which of today’s technologies will shape tomorrow’s world? A new reportcompiled by the World Economic Forum reveals some of the breakthrough innovations ... when mixed with water, produce hydrogen, ... […]
- New imaging method aids in water decontaminationon July 8, 2019 at 2:10 pm
A breakthrough imaging technique developed by Cornell University researchers shows promise in decontaminating water by yielding ... COMPEITS to be a breakthrough technology with profound impacts ... […]
via Google News and Bing News