A new type of water cleanup technology that can effectively and efficiently remove organic contaminants from large quantities of water, without using any added chemicals, could be a huge step forward for aquaculture and the world’s growing farmed fish operations.
In 2011, the production of farmed fish worldwide surpassed global beef production for the first time, and the industry shows no sign of slowing down. However, producing fish at those levels comes with its own set of challenges that require solutions, including the need to constantly remove ammonia and kill harmful bacteria and other aquatic pathogens in the water.
The new water cleanup technology, Electro Water Separation™ (EWS), is said to be a three-in-one solution that could lead to a more sustainable and viable farmed fish industry, because it not only cleans and sanitizes both the supply and the discharge water cost-effectively, but it can also harvest algae for use as fish feed. The discharge waters, which are nitrogen-rich, can then be used to feed the algae ponds, which may help aquaculture operations to “close the loop” a bit more.
The EWS technology works in two stages:
- Electro-Coagulation: contaminated water enters the first stage, which is a proprietary electro-coagulation process. In this stage, mild electrical impulses are applied in long tubes, causing the organic contaminants to coagulate, or “clump” together.
- Electro-Flotation: the clumped-up material travels into a second stage where low power electrical pulses generate a cloud of micro-bubbles that gently lifts the concentrate to the surface for harvesting.
Originally developed as part of OriginOil’s algae systems, the EWS system is capable of removing up to 99% of the water for algae harvesting, and can extract more than 98% of the biomass in the first pass. In addition, the EWS system can remove 98% of bacteria from harvested algae, which helps to keep it for rotting for up to 5 days, without refrigeration.
The Latest on: Breakthrough water tech
- Ford Volkswagen share technologies for the development of electric vehicleson July 6, 2019 at 8:12 am
Ford Volkswagen share technologies ... important information about the presence of water or ice,” said Andrew Siemion, director of the SETI research center in Berkeley and participant in the ... […]
- Verdeat - a Breakthrough Indoor Gardening System Debuts on Kickstarter This Julyon July 3, 2019 at 1:39 pm
The device utilizes an innovative LED technology. It's able to produce light ... and monitored by a mobile app that also measures water levels. Verdeat is made of 95%recycled materialsand designed ... […]
- LGIM launches ETFs for tech investmentson July 3, 2019 at 12:31 am
The L&G Healthcare Breakthrough Ucits ETF will invest in companies in the healthcare supply chain and those developing diagnostics solutions, while the L&G Clean Water Ucits ETF will ... being ... […]
- Nestlé wrapper breakthrough hailed in fight against plasticon July 2, 2019 at 3:45 pm
Nestlé has claimed a breakthrough in the fight against plastic waste after finding a way to wrap a confectionery bar in recyclable paper, and the world’s largest food company has promised to share ... […]
- Trait Biosciences Unveils Tasteless, Odorless, Fully Water-soluble Cannabinoidson July 2, 2019 at 8:34 am
These benefits include: Eliminating the need to use nano-technologies to mix fat-based cannabinoids ... Our Trait science team has now made this possible with this breakthrough in making water-soluble ... […]
- Saturn breakthrough: How NASA was ‘taken by surprise after ‘huge’ find on planeton July 2, 2019 at 7:05 am
Scientists found cryovolcanoes shooting geyser-like jets of water vapour, molecular hydrogen, other volatiles, and solid material, including sodium chloride crystals and ice particles, into space. Dr ... […]
- Truce in US-China trade war as 2 rivals seek breakthroughon June 29, 2019 at 7:47 am
Among the sticking points: The U.S. contends that Beijing steals technology and coerces foreign companies into ... Twenty people fell into the water after a dock collapsed at a restaurant in Mount ... […]
- NASA to send spacecraft to Saturn’s moon Titan in next breakthrough missionon June 28, 2019 at 4:13 am
It has been believed that liquid water and complex organic materials such as hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen might have existed together of tens of thousands of years. ... […]
- Unifi Manufacturing to upgrade its texturing capabilities in the Americas with exclusive use of unique new technologyon June 25, 2019 at 1:49 pm
REMSCHEID, Germany, June 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Oerlikon's new eAFK Evo texturing machine, which was unveiled to select clients at the ITMA trade fair in Barcelona, has proven to be a breakthrough . ... […]
- Trait Biosciences Secures Breakthrough Patents for Truly Water-soluble Cannabinoidson June 25, 2019 at 9:39 am
today announced the US Patent and Trademarks Office ("USPTO") has allowed it patent protection for breakthrough technology platforms that produce truly water-soluble cannabinoids and dramatically ... […]
via Google News and Bing News