As the wind sector continues to grow, the workers who inspect offshore turbines will need practical places to live.
The Wind Turbine Loft is a new kind of creative housing for this class of workers.
One day, wind turbines may not only power residential units. They’ll be residential units.
That’s the thinking behind the Wind Turbine Loft, an architectural project that seeks to create housing for the hordes of technicians who will some day need to monitor the well-being of offshore wind farms. This group is poised to become an increasingly important component of a post-oil energy sector.
Inspired by the Edgar Allan Poe poem “The City in the Sea,” mock-ups for the units show simple but spacious living accommodations complete with modern furniture, plants, natural lighting, and–of course–dazzling views of the heaving ocean and twirling turbines.
The project’s founders, Greta Dimitrova and Kiril Mandov of the Bulgarian architecture studio Morphocode, say that the current process of inspecting off-shore turbines for structural integrity and performance standards can mean turning off the turbines for several days at great expense. “The extreme height and the possibly short weather windows during which the whole inspection must be carried out make the task not only expensive but also risky for the safety of the support technicians,” they explain over email.
The Latest on: Wind Turbines
- Green energy plant threat to wilderness areason March 25, 2020 at 1:20 am
Solar, wind and hydro electric installations are often built in conservation areas.
- Climate change: Green energy plant threat to wilderness areason March 25, 2020 at 1:15 am
Wind, solar and hydro power installations pose a growing threat to key conservation areas, say researchers. Researchers found that over 2,200 green energy plants have been built within the boundaries ...
- Infiniti Helped a Canadian Wind Turbine...on March 25, 2020 at 12:12 am
Infiniti Research, a leading market intelligence solutions provider, has recently announced the completion of its latest success story on market penetration engagement for a wind turbine manufacturer.
- Nordex to deliver wind turbines to Øyfjelleton March 24, 2020 at 5:44 pm
Wind AS has signed a turbine supply agreement with Nordex Group for the 400 MW project Øyfjellet located in Vefsn municipality in Norway. The wind farm will comprise 72 Nordex N149, 5,x MW wind ...
- Vermont regulators end last active petition for wind projecton March 24, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Utility regulators in Vermont have ended the last active petition for a major wind project in the state. The Vermont Public Utilities Commission issued an order to dismiss a petition by Dairy Air Wind ...
- These energy kites can go where wind turbines can'ton March 24, 2020 at 8:36 am
With its innovative energy kites, the company Makani hopes to bring sustainable energy to millions of people along coastlines where traditional wind turbines can't be built. Like us on Facebook to see ...
- Global Wind Power Market to Grow with a CAGR of 7.9% from 2020 to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon March 24, 2020 at 5:03 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Wind Power Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The market for wind power is expected to grow ...
- Navigant Research Report Shows Offshore Wind Is Expanding to New Markets as Technology Prices Decline and Renewable Energy Becomes More Attractiveon March 24, 2020 at 4:46 am
A new report from Navigant Research discusses the main regional and country markets driving offshore wind.
- China’s COVID-19 Lockdown Crushed Every Form Of Energy Generation Except Solaron March 23, 2020 at 9:02 pm
As China shuttered industries during its coronavirus lockdown in January and February, every form of energy production dropped but one.
- Wind Energy to Get an Exascale Booston March 23, 2020 at 2:19 pm
The U.S. Department of Energy is backing a sweeping software to bring wind turbine and wind farm modeling into the exascale era with the open source “ExaWind” modeling and simulation environment. To ...
via Google News and Bing News