A new report ranks the world’s country not on their economic indicators, but on their ability to “safeguard the needs of its future generations.” The results might surprise you.
We normally judge which countries are “doing best” by looking at economic growth–a realm in which places like China and India thrive, despite their environmental and other problems. A more grounded approach might look at a range of factors, from a country’s energy mix to its democracy.
That’s what a new report from investment advisors RobecoSAM does, and the results are quite different from the standard narrative. The report takes into account 17 factors, ultimately finding that Sweden is the most sustainable country on Earth–meaning it’s best equipped for the future. And the least? That would be Nigeria, in 59th place, despite all that oil.
The factors include environmental (which accounts for 15% of scores, and includes things like renewable energy and emissions), social (25%; e.g. life expectancy, and level of worker unrest), and governance (60%; e.g. corruption and inequality). The aim: to provide a comprehensive picture of a “country’s ability to safeguard the needs of its future generations”.
The Latest Bing News on:
An Uncertain Future
- Downtown's office towers are full (on paper) – but face an uncertain futureon October 13, 2020 at 8:34 am
The downtown office market faces a yet-unseen reckoning in the form of the fallout from Covid-19, and brokers who manage leasing for those buildings are seeing it.
- FS KKR Capital Corp.: Uncertain Timeson October 13, 2020 at 8:09 am
FS Investment, an asset management firm, and KKR & Co., a private equity group. It is currently being fancied by analysts because it is trading at a discount to its NAV of $23.37 as of June 2020, and ...
- Broadway performers face uncertainty: "The future is completely anyone's guess at this point"on October 13, 2020 at 8:06 am
Seven months after it first closed its doors, Broadway performers are searching for a way to keep their beloved institution alive.
- Delta Posts $5.4 Billion Loss As Fate Of Struggling U.S. Airlines—And Airline Aid—Remains Uncertainon October 13, 2020 at 6:51 am
As the airline industry continues to struggle amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Delta Airlines on Tuesday posted a $5.4 billion loss in the third quarter after spending billions on buyouts for ...
- American Horticultural Society faces an uncertain futureon October 11, 2020 at 4:00 am
On paper at least, the American Horticultural Society, founded in 1922, should be poised to move into its second century as a major player in the green world, an organization with a compelling mission ...
- Belmont Snack Shop’s future uncertain after devastating fire: ‘We lost everything’on October 10, 2020 at 12:39 pm
After the fire destroyed Nelson Rodriguez’s home and livelihood — and an Avondale institution — his daughter, Alexis, launched a fundraiser with the goal of $10,000.
- Southern Smoke hopeful for future fundraising events among restaurant industry uncertaintyon October 10, 2020 at 5:00 am
Southern Smoke Executive Director Kathryn Lott described the desperation restaurant workers are facing amid an industry ravaged by Covid-19.
- Considerations For HR: Preparing Your Workforce For An Uncertain Futureon October 9, 2020 at 5:27 am
Maintaining employee well-being and safety must still be the top priority when making our decisions to evolve policy during the pandemic.
- The uncertain future of presidential debateson October 9, 2020 at 2:50 am
The morning after a largely unremarkable vice presidential debate, the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) announced its next matchup between President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden ...
- Nvidia and Huawei face an uncertain future in Britain's high-tech capitalon October 8, 2020 at 4:26 am
Home to some of the most talented technologists in the world, Cambridge is seen as a vital hub for firms like Nvidia and Huawei.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
An Uncertain Future
The Latest Bing News on:
Most sustainable country
- 15 of the best sustainable products for a spotless homeon October 13, 2020 at 8:40 am
Freshen up your house and keep a clean conscience with the help of Town & Country’s eco-friendly guide. Using the very best sustainable products for your clothes and furnishings, discover the most ...
- Country Archer Provisions Partners with Richards Grassfed Beef to Advance Impact of Regenerative Agricultureon October 13, 2020 at 8:37 am
Country Archer Provisions, (formerly known as Country Archer Jerky Co.), the leading grass-fed meat snack brand, today announced a new partnership with Richards Grassfed Beef, the first cattle ranch ...
- Marchon Eyewear, Inc. Partners With Eastman To Be The First To Produce And Sell Eyewear Made With Eastman's Sustainable Acetateon October 13, 2020 at 6:26 am
Today, Marchon Eyewear, Inc., one of the world's largest manufacturers and distributors of quality eyewear and sunwear, announced an industry-first partnership with Eastman, a global specialty ...
- Röchling Automotive puts sustainable organic plastic on the marketon October 12, 2020 at 1:30 pm
The automotive industry is increasingly working on aligning vehicle production with the principles of sustainability. The development of appropriate materials plays a decisive role in this process.
- African countries need more air quality data—and sharing it unlocks its benefitson October 12, 2020 at 7:32 am
The harm that air pollution is doing on the African continent seems to be growing. Estimates of premature mortality attributed to air pollution have increased from about 570,000 in 1990 to over ...
- Fitch: Dallas-Fort Worth is one of nation’s most overvalued housing marketson October 12, 2020 at 5:44 am
Fort Worth area is one of most overvalued residential markets in the country, according to a new report by Fitch Ratings. The Wall Street firm estimates that D-FW area Fitch Ratings estimates in its ...
- Roechling Automotive puts sustainable organic plastic on the marketon October 12, 2020 at 4:17 am
New material is made of at least 90 percent renewable raw materials- Roechling-BioBoom is suitable for a large part of the product range of the ...
- OPINION: Choosing a sustainable way out of the pandemic’s economic chaoson October 12, 2020 at 4:03 am
With debt swaps governments and finance institutions can address the triple crises of debt, climate change and the destruction of nature ...
- Sun Country downsizes HQ staff, 18 receive noticeson October 8, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Most jobs were eliminated by attrition, but 18 employees were directly affected as airlines across the globe are suffering due to the pandemic.
- FAO welcomes $3 million contribution from Germany and Sweden to help farmers fight the impact of climate changeon October 8, 2020 at 9:44 am
English News and Press Release on World and 2 other countries about Climate Change and Environment and Contributions; published on 08 Oct 2020 by FAO ...