How is 3D printing changing the future of prosthetic and animatronic limbs?
17-year old inventor Easton LaChappelle from Colorado, built a prosthetic arm by generating most of the parts through a 3D printer.
“My goal is to create an affordable prosthetic for everyday use,” said LaChapelle.
When he was 14, he came up with an idea to built a robotic hand out of Lego bricks, fishing wire and servos. It was a challenge because he knew nothing about electronics or programming. But that idea triggered him to learn himself electronics and modeling software. The first version of robotic hands won him the 3rd place at the Colorado state science fair in 2011.
The second version of the hand grew into an arm. Using an open source hand from Thingiverse and help of a Makerbot 3D printer, LaChappelle was able to upgrade his animatronic gripper to a functional robotic arm with more 3D printed parts.
At the Colorado fair he met a little girl who was born without a right arm and wore an $80,000 prosthetic limb, and he was convinced he could do better.
Now 17, LaChappelle has completed the third version of his robotic hand and the costs is only around $250. His ‘Arduino Robotic Arm’ is up to shoulder and has the same functionality as a human arm. It connects to a brainwave headset that read the user’s brainwaves and get a focus rate, so when the user focuses on an object the hand will close and grasp an object. And the arm also has a feedback system using a force sensor and a vibrating motor to give the user a sense of touch.
This affordable prosthetic arm opens a lot of applications and is the perfect platform to change peoples life.
The Latest on: Prosthetic limbs
- Wheelchairs, artificial limbs distributedon July 1, 2019 at 7:23 pm
The District Red Cross Society distributed artificial limbs, wheel chairs and tricycles to as many as 227 physically disabled persons at a camp organised here on Monday. Richa, Additional Deputy ... […]
- InventHelp Inventor Develops Custom Decorative Prosthetic Limb Sleeve Covers (SDB-1359)on July 1, 2019 at 8:15 am
PITTSBURGH, July 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- "I'm an amputee with a prosthetic device and thought it was unattractive and bland," said an inventor, from El Cajon, Calif. "This inspired me to develop ... […]
- Warrensburg man reunited with prosthetic leg after losing it kayakingon June 30, 2019 at 9:09 pm
When his boat tipped over and he fell into the water. As he climbed out of danger into another kayak, his artificial limb detached and sank. "My first thought was that I was happy that I didn't drown. ... […]
- ‘On point’: Wounded vet tests prosthetic ankle designed by Cal Poly students for surfingon June 29, 2019 at 12:12 pm
Her senior project was a new prosthetic limb specifically for improved ankle movement while surfing. David Middlecamp [email protected] While Kelly joined the ranks of hundreds of wounded ... […]
- Scientists develop new 3D-printed prosthetic hand that can learn wearers’ basic motionson June 28, 2019 at 4:54 am
A new 3D-printed prosthetic hand can learn the wearers’ movement patterns to help amputee patients perform daily tasks, reports a study published this week in Science Robotics. Losing a limb, either ... […]
- Canberra's Miller family turning bottle caps into prosthetic limbs for childrenon June 26, 2019 at 3:07 pm
When Tim Miller and his family began recycling bottles and cans in Canberra, they soon ran into a problem. What should they do with the non-recyclable lids? Tim Miller, 43, has been told he has nine ... […]
- Could prosthetic limbs one day be controlled by human thought?on June 26, 2019 at 5:21 am
For almost two decades, Stanford electrical engineering professor Krishna Shenoy and neuroscientists in his Neural Prosthetics Translational Laboratory have been working on implantable brain ... […]
- 3D printed prosthetic hand can guess how you play rock, paper, scissorson June 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Losing a limb, either through illness or accident, can present emotional and physical challenges for an amputee, damaging their quality of life. Prosthetic limbs can be very useful but are often ... […]
- Zoo to attach prosthetic limb to Arabian addaxon June 25, 2019 at 2:14 pm
LAHORE: The leg of a special breed of Arabian addax was amputated at the Lahore Safari Zoo on Monday after it’s the fractured in its leg, caused by a recent accident, failed to heal. Zoo ... […]
- Tailor-Made Prosthetic Liners Can Help Amputees Walk More Comfortablyon June 25, 2019 at 6:40 am
This is an exciting development for those that use prosthetic limbs, and can one day help improve comfort and use of prostheses. After an amputation, an individual’s residual limb can change in shape ... […]
via Google News and Bing News