It’s a smartphone or tablet-controlled camera-equipped aquatic drone, that’s capable of autonomous behavior
It wasn’t all that long ago that the product category of “consumer aerial drone” was created, thanks to the introduction of smart-but-relatively-cheap quadcopters such as the AR Drone. These remote-control aircraft can be a lot of fun, but … what about those of us who prefer the water to the skies? That’s where the Ziphius comes in. It’s a smartphone or tablet-controlled camera-equipped aquatic drone, that’s capable of autonomous behavior
Designed in Portugal’s Azores islands, the Ziphius has a lithium iron phosphate battery that powers two brushless DC motors, which in turn each spin one of two pod-like propellers. These propellers can run in forward and reverse, independent of one another, allowing the Ziphius to turn on the spot. Its maximum forward speed is 6 mph (9.7 km/h).
Utilizing an included iOS or Android app, users can remotely control the drone via Wi-Fi from a distance of up to 300 feet (90 m). Not only does the app allow them to control the speed and direction of the Ziphius, but it also provides them with a 720p live feed from an onboard HD video camera. A servo motor lets users tilt the camera up to see what’s above the surface, or tilt it down to see what’s lurking below. If things are a little dark under the surface, they can also flip on the camera’s LED light.
Footage is additionally recorded at 1080p to an onboard 8 GB MicroSD card, plus it can be uploaded to YouTube directly from the app.
Battery life sits at a reported one hour of run time per charge. A display on the app’s control screen indicates the current battery status, so users can bring the Ziphius in before they end up having to swim out to retrieve it.
The drone’s body consists of one main impact-resistant plastic base unit, and interchangeable foam backs that can be swapped on and off. These backs are configured for performing different tasks, such as transporting drinks in pools, or serving as a GoPro camera mount. Should the drone be flipped over in rough seas, its self-righting design ensures that it will roll back up.
The Latest Bing News on:
- PLDT-Smart to Deploy Drones to Preserve Philippines’ Peatlandson November 27, 2020 at 5:00 pm
PLDT and its wireless subsidiary Smart Communications, Inc. (Smart) will soon deploy more digital innovations to protect key biodiversity areas throughout the Philippines. PLDT-Smart’s most recent ini ...
- Aquaculture Market Share Analysis, Key Growth Drivers, By Product, Leading Key Players, Demand, Upcoming Trend and Forecast to 2027on November 25, 2020 at 5:22 am
Global Aquaculture Market is valued approximately at USD 31.94 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate of more than 7.1% over the forecast period 2020-2027. Aquaculture ...
- Fisheries ordered to temporarily close as endangered right whales detected off Nova Scotia coaston November 24, 2020 at 1:57 pm
The closures affect LFA 34 – one of Nova Scotia’s most lucrative lobster fishing zones – and come days before the start to the federally regulated lobster fishing season ...
- Ottawa to close fisheries after endangered right whales detected off N.S. coaston November 24, 2020 at 7:57 am
Ottawa's decision to close fisheries off the southwest coast of Nova Scotia after North Atlantic right whales were detected in the area is ...
- Aquaculture Market Analysis, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2027on November 19, 2020 at 6:12 am
This detailed report on Aquaculture Market’ now available with Market Study Report, LLC, offers a succinct study ...
- Robonomics Floats Aquatic Drones to Scan Water Qualityon November 17, 2020 at 10:28 am
Aquatic drones are taking to the high seas to fight against contaminated drinking water. According to the World Health Organization, more than 2 billion people worldwide drink contaminated water due t ...
- Drones Will Patrol Beaches in Australia to Protect Crowds from Sharks – and Coronaviruson November 13, 2020 at 8:32 am
News reports that drones will patrol beaches in Australia in order to protect crowds from sharks and the rapidly spreading coronavirus. Drones are already common tools on Australi ...
- White Lake is navigating choppy waterson November 12, 2020 at 8:07 am
Three years ago, it was the lake itself that was displaying color — a deep green — that was best captured in a drone photo ... rainfall, aquatic vegetation, algae and wintertime bird populations.
- Image of herons nesting high in the treetops wins drone photo awardon November 10, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Viliunov says he was surprised at how “absolutely calm” and unafraid the herons were of the drone, only giving it an occasional glance as they fed their chicks. Herons are found in aquatic and ...
- Drones are helping to protect the environment in novel wayson November 5, 2020 at 10:53 am
A related advantage with drones is that the technology enables monitoring to be conducted at a from a safe distance, especially for remote and aquatic areas. Agricultural managers are starting to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Thales to Deliver the World’s First Fully Integrated Unmanned Mine Countermeasures System for the Royal Navy and French “Marine Nationale”on November 26, 2020 at 2:15 pm
With 50 years of expertise serving navies around the world, Thales develops technologies that enable the transition from conventional solutions, such as minehunters, to unmanned solutions. The MMCM ...
- Navy inducts two Sea Guardian drones on lease from U.S.on November 25, 2020 at 8:47 am
B Sea Guardian unarmed drones procured from the U.S. on lease, two defence sources said on Wednesday. “The drones are on lease for one year. All planning, execution and operations will be with the ...
- How do you design an underwater scooter? Easy, start with a droneon November 25, 2020 at 6:39 am
The Geneinno S2 is an underwater scooter that'll help you be free when in the sea — and we spoke to the company about how it designed it.
- Russia Built this Absurd Underwater Nuke to Beat U.S. Missile Defenseson November 25, 2020 at 3:17 am
The four missiles soared across Russia to land in a missile test range on the Kamchatka peninsula, roughly 3,500 miles away. You can see the launch sequence in this video. Like the nuclear-powered ...
- Turkish firm develops AI-powered software for drone swarmson November 24, 2020 at 10:22 am
A government aerospace official said swarm drones would be used in Turkey’s future unmanned aerial combat concept due to their low hardware costs and stealth technology.
- U.S. Navy to Use Drones to Provide Eye in the Sky for Submarineson November 23, 2020 at 10:34 am
U.S. Navy is now exploring ways that small unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) would increase what the crew of a submarine is able to see. The Navy has largely been focused on unmanned surface and ...
- Check Out These Navy Special Operators Deploying An Underwater Scout Droneon November 20, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Naval special warfare personnel used a stealthy boat to help launch the unmanned underwater vehicle during a recent exercise in Sweden.
- The Navy's submarine-launched drone revolutionon November 20, 2020 at 6:55 am
Albeit belatedly, the Navy is taking bold action to strengthen and diversify the capabilities of its submarines forces.
- US Navy submarines have big plans to turn small drones into 'a flying periscope' to hit long-range targetson November 19, 2020 at 2:35 pm
With small- and medium-size unmanned aerial vehicles, the Navy's submarines hope to be able to see and strike over longer distances.
- Rescue squad gets new underwater drone for searches and recoverieson November 18, 2020 at 4:12 pm
MORGAN COUNTY, Ala. (WAFF) - The Morgan County Rescue Squad’s new underwater drone is one of the only north Alabama teams to have this kind of equipment. ”There’s a risk anytime you put a diver in the ...