Octopuses offer an extreme engineering challenge:
They are almost infinitely flexible, entirely soft-bodied and incredibly intelligent. Are we vertebrate humans ever going to be able to build anything as deformable and complex as a real octopus?
Carmel Majidi, of the Soft Machines Lab at Carnegie Mellon University, explored this question in a recent paper in the journal Soft Robotics. “Like an octopus squeezing through a narrow opening,” he wrote, “a soft robot must adapt its shape and locomotion strategy for a broad range of tasks, obstacles and environmental conditions.” That’s not exactly C-3PO.
Our rigid robotics have come a long way since mid-20th-century Jetsonlike imaginings. Many are now capable of extremely nuanced tasks and coordinated efforts, including running like a cheetah. But they also hold us back from expanding far outside of specialized mechanical tasks—and into the everyday human world, such as in the operating room or even functioning as second skins. Carmel envisions a world where next-gen robots are “elastically soft and capable of safely interacting with humans or navigating through tightly constrained environments.”
And this softness is not just a plush covering. A purely soft robot is, like an octopus, almost entirely flexible. That means no traditional microprocessors or servomotors. As Carmel noted: like an octopus, “a soft robot must be elastically deformable and capable of maneuvering through confined spaces without inducing damaging internal pressures and stress concentrations.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Solar-powered skin for robotson November 27, 2020 at 1:33 am
A new type of energy-generating synthetic skin could result in robots that are able to mimick the sense of touch.
- Global Soft Robotics Market 2020 Ongoing Trend, Recent Developments, Competitive Landscape and Regional Forecast to 2025on November 24, 2020 at 7:51 pm
Global Soft Robotics Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 reveals the overview of the global industry, encompassing the latest industry data and industry ...
- Global Soft Robot Technology Market 2020 Trending Technologies, Developments, Key Players and End-use Industry to 2025on November 24, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Global Soft Robot Technology Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 offers a clear view of the current proceeding within the market. The report analyzes the key ...
- Amazon Black Friday Deals 2020: Robot Vacuums, Noise-Cancelling Headphones, Sweatshirts, and Moreon November 24, 2020 at 9:34 am
Amazon has been the undisputed home of some of the best Black Friday deals. You could feel confident that searching "Amazon Black Friday deals" would turn up all the best deals available, no need to ...
- Magnetic spray turns objects into robots that walk, roll and crawlon November 22, 2020 at 8:40 pm
By combining magnetic materials with magnetic fields, robotics researchers continue to develop machines that can be remotely manipulated in all kinds of useful ways, such as somersault through the ...
- 2020 Insights into Opportunities of Robotics in the F&B Industry - Robots are Being Used Increasingly Amidst COVID-19 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 20, 2020 at 8:05 am
The "Opportunities of Robotics in F&B Industry" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Robots are being used amidst Covid-19 in performing various tasks, not limited to single ...
- Curved origami provides new range of stiffness-to-flexibility in robotson November 19, 2020 at 11:16 am
Curved origami structures provide tunable flexibility to robots. New research that employs curved origami structures has dramatic implications in the development of robotics going forward, providing ...
- Army, MIT explore materials for transforming robots made of robotson November 19, 2020 at 9:18 am
Scientists from the US Army and MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms created a new way to link materials with unique mechanical properties, opening up the possibility of future military robots made of ...
- Curved origami offers a creative route to making robots and other mechanical deviceson November 18, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Our lab at Arizona State University has designed curved fold patterns that can change stiffness and flexibility. Flexible materials shaped with these patterns can be used to make simple, inexpensive ...
- Sex robots: An answer for aging, lonely Americans in the age of AI?on November 17, 2020 at 1:38 am
And in this time of COVID-19, robots can be sanitary and safe companions for humans. They are loaded with information, can retain and recall what a human tells them and interact accordingly. The field ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Elastically deformable robots
- Feed has no items.