Rising income inequality is getting more difficult to ignore.
Inequality.is, a fun interactive website, walks you through the problem (and helps give you ideas about the solution).
The riches of the wealthiest have been growing fast–much faster than for the rest of us. Between 1983 and 2010, the top 5% saw their pile expand 74.2%, while the bottom two-thirds actually saw theirs contract. Income inequality is bad enough, but wealth inequality is particularly troubling. Wealth–something banked and stable–is more powerful than mere income, which can disappear at any moment.
You probably already knew this, because inequality has been bubbling up as an issue for years now. More than 6.5 million people watched this terrific video showing the disconnect between what people think wealth distribution is, what they think it ought to be, and what it actually is. (One memorable takeaway: The top 1% has more wealth than what 92% of Americans think the top 20% should have.)
Running through a series of graphics, you can decide what the top 10% should get, and find out how it’s actually divvied up (48% for the top 10%). Then, you can see why most people’s income hasn’t kept up with economic productivity, and how that divergence (starting in the late 1970s) has widened over time.
The Latest Bing News on:
- This is the moment to attack wealth inequalityon November 13, 2020 at 2:00 am
I feel eternally grateful for the people and groups that stepped up during this pandemic to provide food for millions of New Yorkers who can’t afford three meals-a-day. Here in Flushing, there are pop ...
- CT’s Extreme Inequality Poses Major Obstacle To Sustainable ‘Inclusive’ Growthon November 11, 2020 at 5:07 am
The principle of inclusive economic growth, holistic strategies aimed at helping all income groups prosper, is appealing in concept to state Sen. Saud ...
- Wealth Matters A Lot In This Recession When Many Families Never Recovered From The Last Oneon November 6, 2020 at 3:11 pm
A quick, substantial boost to people’s incomes is necessary, but the pandemic also shows that families needed wealth to avoid falling through the cracks.
- San Francisco Voted For A CEO Tax To Rectify Wealth Inequality: Here’s What They Should Do Insteadon November 6, 2020 at 7:17 am
The new law calls for any company whose top executive earns 100 times more than their average worker will pay an extra 0.1% surcharge on its annual business tax payment.
- Warren Buffett sees nuclear threats and wealth inequality as the 2 biggest issues for US presidentson November 3, 2020 at 7:34 am
"You need a president who feels that's his number one job," the billionaire investor said about protecting America against WMDs in a 2016 interview.
- Why a Wealth Tax Won’t Raise Revenues or Reduce Inequalityon November 3, 2020 at 4:09 am
The political receptivity to a wealth tax is reinforced by a growing intellectual hostility to wealth inequality, most evident in Thomas Piketty’s Capital in the Twenty-First Century. The French ...
- There's a 'tectonic shift' headed for stocks, Morgan Stanley warns, thanks to a decade of slowing growth and rising wealth inequalityon November 2, 2020 at 1:59 pm
The Wall Street bull in the financial district January 22, 2007 in New York City. Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images A 'tectonic shift' in US ...
- COVID-19 is making the rich richer. It’s time for tax justiceon October 31, 2020 at 9:04 am
“In Canada, the top one per cent own significantly more wealth than the bottom 70 per cent,” the report said. And that was before COVID-19 struck. Since then, inequality has grown. In ...
- New report outlines accelerating inequality in Australia, amid rising social distresson October 29, 2020 at 9:26 pm
From 2003 to 2017, in another index of mounting inequality, the average wealth of the highest 20 percent grew by 68 percent, while that of the lowest 20 percent grew by only 6 percent. According ...
- 5 questions for Scott Winship on inequality, upward mobility, and poverty in the USon October 27, 2020 at 8:17 am
Should Americans be concerned about current levels of wealth inequality? Are living standards still rising in the US? And what has happened to poverty in America since the 1960s? I discussed these ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Rural communities often left behind when economic development comes to townon November 13, 2020 at 9:48 am
Following a 40-year career in development economics, Virginia Tech Professor George Norton celebrates the world’s progress in reducing poverty.
- 'Economic inequality on steroids': Greens to fight stage three tax cutson November 12, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Parliamentary Budget Office modelling requested by Greens leader Adam Bandt shows the Morrison government's tax reform plan will see 58 per cent of the savings flow to the top 20 per cent of income ...
- Why the Pandemic Exacerbated Economic Inequality in the U.S.on November 12, 2020 at 3:12 am
Economic inequality was already noticeable to many across the U.S. The coronavirus pandemic made it painfully obvious to all.
- San Francisco voters embrace ‘Overpaid Executive Tax’ to address ‘growing economic inequality’on November 5, 2020 at 6:45 am
The results "show that San Franciscans are concerned about growing economic inequality," says the author of the measure titled the "Overpaid Executive Tax,'' said Wednesday. & ...
- ‘The White Tiger’ roars against political corruption, economic inequality in first Netflix trailer [Watch]on November 3, 2020 at 12:30 pm
I’m just one who has woken up while the rest of you are still sleeping,” says the servant Balram (Adarsh Gourav) in the first trailer for the Netflix film “The White Tiger.” Based on the prestigious ...
- Joe Biden is Not the Candidate to Confront Economic Inequalityon November 1, 2020 at 11:20 pm
The establishment has ignored growing economic inequality to their peril, but a Trump victory could be a needed wakeup call.
- Inequality has been building for decades in the U.S., but experts say the pandemic 'ripped it open'on October 23, 2020 at 11:13 am
We're focusing on North Carolina, a swing state that has seen rapid economic growth — and growing inequality — since the last recession to learn how residents are weathering the economic ...
- Which aspect of US economic inequality is most worrying?on October 22, 2020 at 4:43 pm
The health and economic effects of the Covid-19 pandemic have further elevated these concerns. But which aspect of inequality should we be worried about? There are inequalities of opportunity and ...
- Race against Economic Inequality in Emerging Marketson October 21, 2020 at 5:30 pm
One of the great challenges of the 21st Century is the need to reduce poverty levels and economic inequality globally. Economic growth is the most powerful tool for reducing poverty and improving ...
- Is the Federal Reserve Contributing to Economic Inequality?on October 20, 2020 at 3:53 am
Our president at the time, Janet Yellen, was coming to UC Irvine to deliver a speech on economic inequality right before the midterm election (Yellen 2006). I had a chance to work on her remarks, and ...