This breakthrough permits the salvaging of up to 40% of the discarded rubber for the manufacture of new tyres
In partnership with the Dutch University of Groningen, Thai scientist Sitisaiyidah Saiwari of the University of Twente, also in the Netherlands, has developed a novel recycling method for end-of-life tyres. This breakthrough permits the salvaging of up to 40% of the discarded rubber for the manufacture of new tyres instead of the claimed current maximum of only 5%.
According to Saiwari and her research supervisor Dr Wilma Dierkes, the new recycling process will help towards a solution for the 800 million tyres generated annually throughout the world. ‘What happened before with used tyres is best described as cradle to grave, with tyres typically recycled into low-value products such as floor mats, soccer fields or traffic bumpers,’ Dr Dierkes states.
Saiwari’s method, on the other hand, relies on ‘reversing the vulcanisation process’, which ensures that polymer – the molecule providing rubber’s most critical properties – remains completely unaffected, thus making possible ‘high- quality reclaim’. The research project is ‘a big leap forward’, asserts Dr Dierkes. She says that Saiwari’s work is in line with the cradle-to-cradle vision pioneered by chemist Michael Braungart and architect William McDonough.
The Latest Bing News on:
- The advanced recycling bill just passed by the PA House would harm the environment, says new report. Here’s whyon August 12, 2020 at 6:09 am
Calling a hot dog sushi doesn’t make it sushi, and calling burning plastics 'recycling' doesn’t make it anything other than what it is: just another way to burn fossil fuels." ...
- 5 Steps to Improving the Recycling Efforts of Your Businesson August 12, 2020 at 5:52 am
Even though it is not a mandatory rule, you have a duty to recycle as a business owner. After all, it is one of the most effective ways for any company to create a positive impact on the environment, ...
- Ineos Styrolution, Recycling Technologies sign joint development agreementon August 11, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Styrenics supplier Ineos Styrolution, and Recycling Technologies, a specialist plastic recycling technology provider signed a joint development agreement (JDA) earlier today to further advance the ...
- This Is What Happens When You Put the Wrong Thing in the Recycling Binon August 11, 2020 at 2:53 pm
What Happens When You Recycle Incorrectly As you're wrapping up your coffee break, you finish your Starbucks mocha, walk past the brown and blue bins, and wonder which one to dispose your cup into.
- Cancel Philly’s failed recycling program | Opinionon August 11, 2020 at 8:14 am
As sanitation delays plague Philly streets, let's focus on street sweeping instead of recycling, which is kind of a charade anyway.
- Your Questions About Recycling And Composting In Chicago, Answeredon August 11, 2020 at 4:00 am
A panel of experts and policymakers discuss the city’s struggling recycling program — and how to make it better.
- Recycling of rare earths will be greener than extractive means: Experton August 11, 2020 at 12:33 am
Kiril Mugerman of Geomega Resources discusses how recycling of rare earths could prove to be a cleaner and greener process than the extraction methods that China uses.
- Plastics Recycling Builds the Business Case for Blockchainon August 10, 2020 at 7:57 pm
PRNewswire/ -- World-leading recycling company RecycleGO has partnered with DeepDive Technology Group to bring trust, transparency and better ...
- Drive the plastic highway? How a California company's innovative repaving process could lead to the 'holy grail' of road construction.on August 10, 2020 at 11:31 am
An innovative process by a California company that adds recycled plastic to asphalt may be a "game-changer'' for the future of road construction.
- Free electronics recycling events coming to CNY: Here’s how to registeron August 10, 2020 at 10:00 am
If you spent your coronavirus shutdown at home cleaning and now have old TVs, computers, printers and other electronics you want to get rid of, we have good news. Sunnking, a Rochester-area-based ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- TRIB to help DK Enterprises promote tire retreading in Calif.on August 11, 2020 at 1:52 pm
California's Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) has awarded a 22-month contract to Sacramento-based DK Enterprises Inc. to help it promote the use of retreaded tires ...
- TRIB, DKE Enterprises partner to promote retreading in Californiaon August 11, 2020 at 1:43 pm
The Tire Retread & Repair Information Bureau (TRIB) and DKE Enterprises Inc., which was awarded the California’s Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) Retread Tire Services ...
- TRIB, DKE Enterprises to Promote Retreading in Californiaon August 11, 2020 at 11:13 am
Through this multi-year Retread Tire Services Contract, TRIB and DK Enterprises will assist CalRecycle in increasing the use of retreaded tires.
- Recycling collection scheduled for Lanaion August 11, 2020 at 9:24 am
The event will take place from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Pulama Lanai Fleet Yard. Residents can drop off “white goods,” metals and electronic equipment including refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washers ...
- Tire Company Expands In Levittownon August 10, 2020 at 5:24 pm
McCarthy Tire Service has moved its industrial services division to the company's new location on Hartel Avenue in Levittown. The move was effective on Aug. 3. In June, McCarthy moved its commercial ...
- Feature: Palestinian young woman turns old vehicle tires into colorful art pieceson August 10, 2020 at 9:53 am
"I know it is a hard job to get second-hand car tires and turn them into colorful art pieces used for planting flowers," al-Khatib told Xinhua while sitting at the garden of her home and painting one ...
- Tire Recycling Collection Event on Aug. 15on August 10, 2020 at 8:44 am
Hocking Solid Waste District can bring their old tires on Saturday, Aug. 15 to the Tire Recycling Collection Event, located at the Hocking County Fairgrounds, 100 N. Homer ...
- Mayors can now remove used tires, green waste, white goodson August 10, 2020 at 7:16 am
Mayors can start the process of removing used tires, green waste, electronics and white goods from their villages using the Limited Recycling Fund, in addition to abandoned vehicles.
- ECO Green Equipment Debuts EcoRazor 63 for Off-the-Road Tire Recyclingon August 7, 2020 at 10:06 am
While there is a lot of industrial tire recycling equipment out there, it takes special machinery to handle mining and off-the-road (OTR) tires. To facilitate the efficient recycling of these massive ...
- Face To Face: Ginny’S Been Peddling The Recycling Message For Years - And It Pays Offon August 4, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Ginny wants to see her fellow Bahamians adopt recycling and environmental consciousness as a way of life: “Glass shouldn’t go into the landfill either. Tires should be recycled, not thrown away. They ...