When everything we do is recorded and remembered by our technology, what role does memory have? Keeping us human.
You’ve already forgotten almost everything that’s ever happened to you. Even immediately after you finish this, you won’t remember everything you read. A sentence might pop into your mind in a few days, remixed with something else as a new experience enters your stream of consciousness and disappears just as fast. That’s the nature of memory, which is far less reliable than you might think.
Experience is a blur punctuated by a few bright moments that stand out. But even those so-called “flashbulb memories,” salient as they seem at the time, are as easily forgotten as their more banal counterparts. Few people realize how wrong their recollections, even of pivotal or traumatizing events like 9/11, can be.
As humans become more entwined with technology, however, that’s starting to change. What does that mean for the future of memory?
THE MEMORY PALACE
If it’s true that memory is an artificial construct, what does that mean about our relationship with our own experiences? When I first met my colleague James Jorasch, inventor and founder of Science House, he taught me a few of the tricks, including the construction of a memory palace, that he uses to compete in the US Memory Championship.
The book Moonwalking with Einstein details the process used by memory competitors. They don’t memorize an entire deck of cards in order by recalling them the way they appear. Instead, the King of Clubs might become Tiger Woods, who then appears as a character in a larger story that unfolds in your memory palace, which could be your childhood home or any familiar environment.
Memory is complicated, but to try to simplify it: It operates on two tracks. First, the small seahorse-shaped hippocampus in your brain acts like a bouncer at a club, letting in bits that help the brain survive. The pieces of information deemed worthy of recall are passed on to the amygdala, which doesn’t encode a perfect copy. The true point of memory, ultimately, is survival. The brain remembers how to find food or avoid the familiar face of an enemy. Your brain doesn’t need the names, numbers or irrelevant details associated with an event.
“Machines and humans have two different languages of memory,” James says. “Machine memory is binary, while brain memory employs images. In between, we speak a third language: words. Right now, we speak to people as if they are machines and will remember perfectly. In the future, however, we will optimize a shared language for recall.”
This new language will be a synthesis of machine and human memory. It is nascent today in the art and science of visualization. Math and imagination form a collective super-memory that we can tap into to make better decisions about survival together.
MEMORY IS A RECONSTRUCTION
As a child, Dr. David Eagleman fell off a roof. Though the drop took less than a second, it felt much longer, sparking his interest in memory and time. Now the director of the Laboratory for Perception and Action and the Initiative on Neuroscience and Law at Baylor University, Eagleman has been known to toss people off a 150-foot roof onto a safety net so he can examine their memory of the event.
The Latest Bing News on:
Future Of Memory
- Nvidia is working on competing technology to AMD's Smart Access Memory for RTX 30 series GPUson November 13, 2020 at 12:34 pm
When AMD launched its Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards earlier this month, it was shown featuring double the performance of the previous generation (AMD's numbers, ...
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: ‘Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory’, ‘Need for Speed Hot Pursuit’, and Today’s Other New Releases and Saleson November 13, 2020 at 11:05 am
Up for November 13th, 2020. Yes, it's Friday the 13th. That may be bad luck for some, but for the Switch? This is a pretty good day. Two fairly major third-party releases, and the rest of the line-up ...
- What the Apple Silicon M1 means for the future of Apple's Macson November 12, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Now that more details about Apple Silicon have been revealed, it's clear that even the giddiest expectations fell far short of Apple's real ambitions in building its System-on-a-Chip brains for a new ...
- Review: Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memoryon November 12, 2020 at 3:02 am
Kingdom Hearts is a well-known property for many reasons, but its music is undoubtedly at the top of most fan's lists. Composer Yoko Shimomura's music has ...
- FADU Technology Awarded Best of Show - Most Innovative Flash Memory Startup - by Flash Memory ...on November 11, 2020 at 2:57 pm
FADU Technology is a fabless startup developing advanced flash storage technology to meet the ever-increasing data storage demands placed on OEM and hyperscale data centers. The company announced that ...
- KIOXIA Wins Flash Memory Summit Best of Show for EDSFF E3.S Technology Developmenton November 11, 2020 at 1:33 pm
KIOXIA’s Enterprise and Data Center SSD Form Factor (EDSFF) technology solution has received a Flash Memory Summit ‘Best in Show’ award.
- NVM Express Honored with Most Innovative Flash Memory Technology for Best of Show Award at Flash Memory Summit 2020on November 11, 2020 at 1:15 pm
NVM Express was honored with a Flash Memory Summit 2020 Best of Show Award for Most Innovative Flash Memory Technology at today’s Flash Memory Summit 2020 Best of Show Awards ceremony. The Flash ...
- FADU Technology Awarded Best of Show - Most Innovative Flash Memory Startup - by Flash Memory Summit 2020 for its Gen4 Flash Storage Platformon November 11, 2020 at 9:56 am
The Flash Memory Summit, the World's leading storage industry conference and exposition, recognized FADU's FC4121 Flash Controller and DELTA SSDs as exciting products from a promising Flash Memory ...
- The Past and Future of In-Memory Computingon October 27, 2020 at 4:37 am
That obviously didn’t pan out, but on the eve of the In-Memory Computing Summit 2020 taking place later this week, the GridGain CTO is still bullish on the future in-memory computing, particularly for ...
- Next-Generation Memory Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2020-2026on October 26, 2020 at 4:12 am
Oct 26, 2020 (PRNews Times via COMTEX) -- The Next-Generation Memory Market research report fabricated by Big Market Research is an in-depth analysis of the latest trends persuading the business ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Future Of Memory
The Latest Bing News on:
MEMORY IS A RECONSTRUCTION
- Woman, 26, reveals she had to have her EYE removed after being hit by a drunk driver in near-fatal accident that saw paramedics forced to cut into her windpipe to save her lifeon November 13, 2020 at 2:25 pm
Sarah Ruggiere, from Portland, Oregon, was hit by a drunk driver while walking to meet a friend in December 2019.
- Brazilian Chef's skull is shattered after Gold Coast motorbike accidenton November 11, 2020 at 3:48 am
Ricardo Campos, 30, was seriously injured after colliding with a car on the Gold Coast around midnight on September 12.
- Afterword to Karl Marx, Critique of the Gotha Programon November 11, 2020 at 1:04 am
Dixi et salvavi animam meam. With these Latin words Karl Marx concludes his Critique of the Gotha Program (1875) – “I have spoken and saved my soul.” One is unaccustomed to religious expression from ...
- Turkey wraps up search efforts after Izmir quake, reconstruction underwayon November 3, 2020 at 11:31 pm
Turkey on Wednesday concluded its search and rescue efforts in the western province of Izmir, which was hit by a 6.6 magnitude earthquake last Friday, a senior official ...
- Jaime Harrison's run is important in South Carolina's history of Black political leadershipon November 3, 2020 at 6:38 pm
When Jaime Harrison won his first election, he knew who he needed to call: His new representative in the United States Congress, James Clyburn. The sophomore at Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School in ...
- What Happens if the 2020 Election Is Contested? It Wouldn't Be the First Time.on November 2, 2020 at 4:15 am
From the bitter dispute in 1876 that led to the end of Reconstruction to hanging chads in 2000, America has seen some contentious presidential elections.
- Saquon Barkley scheduled for ACL reconstruction surgery next weekon October 23, 2020 at 8:16 am
Barkley is scheduled for ACL reconstruction surgery next week and ... $200,000 to the Oishei Children's Hospital in Buffalo in her memory. Saints defensive end Trey Hendrickson is having his ...
- Economic Reconstruction and Recovery Plan debate: Read Cyril Ramaphosa’s full speechon October 21, 2020 at 9:47 am
The Economic Reconstruction and Recovery Plan outlines ... economic contraction unlike any we have experienced in recent memory. South Africa is not alone in experiencing an economic crisis ...
- Santa Barbara. Diana Markosian's personal journey into memoryon October 20, 2020 at 7:07 am
We talked with Diana Markosian about her ambitious project pushing the boundaries of documentary photography: a reconstruction ... reflection and a journey into memory, but Diana’s family ...
- Refresh My Memory — How Much Did The Haunting Of Bly Manor Change Turn Of The Screw?on October 9, 2020 at 4:16 pm
no less), creator and writer Mike Flanagan called Hill House a “kind of deconstruction and reconstruction of classic horror literature.” Following the success of the show, he decided to run ...