Online psychotherapy is just as efficient as conventional therapy.
Three months after the end of the therapy, patients given online treatment even displayed fewer symptoms. For the first time, clinical researchers from the University of Zurich provide scientific evidence of the equal value of internet-based psychotherapy.
Does psychotherapy via the Internet work? For the first time, clinical researchers from the University of Zurich have studied whether online psychotherapy and conventional face-to-face therapy are equally effective in an experiment. Based on earlier studies, the Zurich team assumed that the two forms of therapy were on a par. Not only was their theory confirmed, the results for online therapy even exceeded their expectations.
Six therapists treated 62 patients, the majority of whom were suffering from moderate depression. The patients were divided into two equal groups and randomly assigned to one of the therapeutic forms. The treatment consisted of eight sessions with different established techniques that stem from cognitive behavior therapy and could be carried out both orally and in writing. Patients treated online had to perform one predetermined written task per therapy unit – such as querying their own negative self-image. They were known to the therapist by name.
Online therapy even more effective in the medium term
“In both groups, the depression values fell significantly,” says Professor Andreas Maercker, summing up the results of the study. At the end of the treatment, no more depression could be diagnosed in 53 percent of the patients who underwent online therapy – compared to 50 percent for face-to-face therapy. Three months after completing the treatment, the depression in patients treated online even decreased whereas those treated conventionally only displayed a minimal decline: no more depression could be detected in 57 percent of patients from online therapy compared to 42 percent with conventional therapy.
The Latest Bing News on:
Psychotherapy via internet
- Finland fast-tracks ID code law change after hacking caseon November 12, 2020 at 6:57 am
The government of Finland said Thursday it was preparing legislation that would allow citizens to change their personal identity codes in cases of gross data breaches that ...
- US allows 1st emergency use of a COVID-19 antibody drugon November 9, 2020 at 3:13 pm
U.S. health officials have allowed emergency use of the first antibody drug to help the immune system fight COVID-19, an experimental approach against the virus that has killed ...
- Need retail therapy after an uneasy week? How to shop smarton November 7, 2020 at 10:24 am
If 2016 was any indication, many will want to ease their anxiety with a little retail therapy. During the lead-up to the 2016 ... gift cards just by doing the stuff you normally do on the internet: ...
- 5 ways to save money on post-election 'retail therapy'on November 5, 2020 at 4:05 am
If you want to save yourself some money and the trouble of price checking, you can use a free browser extension to automatically scan for better deals and coupon codes whenever you shop online. It ...
- What do patients do during telehealth visits? (Sometimes, smoke a cigarette or drink a 'quarantini.')on November 4, 2020 at 9:27 am
A new survey finds that many patients don't give providers their full attention during telehealth visits, with nearly one-quarter saying they had surfed the web, watched a movie, or played a video ...
- Blues Therapy gets worldwide audience via UK radioon November 3, 2020 at 10:15 am
Walla Walla's Blues Therapy Radio extends its reach to worldwide audience of 8 million listeners via UK's MothFM.
- Hackers demand ransom from therapy patients after clinic data breachon November 2, 2020 at 9:00 am
Vastaamo CEO Ville Tapio was reportedly fired for obscuring information about the incident for more than two years ...
- Finnish therapy centre accused of covering up cyber attackon October 28, 2020 at 8:38 am
Vastaamo, the Finnish private psychotherapy practice at the centre ... anyone who has paid the ransom to contact him directly via the email address on his social media profile.
- Best Online Therapy—Review of Online Mental Health and Counseling Serviceson October 26, 2020 at 10:31 am
Often advertised via online ads, BetterHelp’s online ... If you’re looking to get therapy over the internet without it costing you a fortune, we’d recommend Online-Therapy.com.
- Highly unusual hacking attack directly threatens therapy patientson October 26, 2020 at 9:55 am
According to news reports, private psychotherapy ... external access is secured via a virtual private network (VPN). “Their system was exposed to the whole internet and, unfortunately, according ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Psychotherapy via internet
The Latest Bing News on:
Cognitive behavior therapy
- Horses Key To Award-Winning Therapy Program At Chesco Prisonon November 12, 2020 at 5:25 pm
Working with horses teaches trust and brings healthy behavior change as offenders leave Chester County Prison.
- Podcast: Can Swearing Improve Mental Health?on November 12, 2020 at 3:19 am
Release that pent up energy! How to harness the power of curse words to improve your mental health. Transcript included.
- James Arthur wrote 52 songs in lockdown after seeking therapy for anxietyon November 12, 2020 at 2:00 am
James Arthur has revealed he got through lockdown and his "fear of dying young" by doing CBT and writing lots of new music for his new album.
- James Arthur: I used therapy to help lockdown anxiety and now I’m ready to release new musicon November 11, 2020 at 10:49 pm
James Arthur has revealed he underwent therapy to deal with anxiety brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, but is now ready to release his lockdown album and launch an acting career.
- Sick of sad season? Here's how the power of colour therapy transformed fashion boss Fiona McIntyre's lifeon November 11, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Lifting the lid on how her brand came to be, Dubliner Fiona, said: “I was doing CBT therapy, and I was also doing a thing called colour therapy with my son which was really interesting.
- Treatment Guidance for ME Proposes Curbs on Graded Exercise Therapyon November 10, 2020 at 7:07 am
Experts in chronic fatigue syndrome say they are worried that new NICE guidance could make it harder for patients to access available treatments.
- Fatigue syndrome exercise therapy loses Nice recommendationon November 9, 2020 at 11:15 pm
ME sufferers in England no longer advised by watchdog to try graded exercise therapy ...
- Is Text-Based Therapy Effective?on November 8, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Living with mental illness looks different for everyone, but for many people, there are periods of time when your anxiety and/or depression symptoms are worse than others. One minute I’ll be typing ...
- Best therapy apps for managing your mental health at homeon November 6, 2020 at 12:13 am
From AI therapists to platforms that let you video-chat with a professional counsellor, these are the best apps to add to your mental health toolkit ...
- Evidence Mounting to Use Complementary Therapy for Low Back Painon November 4, 2020 at 9:08 am
Backaches are a primary reason for doctor visits, since many people will feel that pain in their lifetime. In 2016, treating backache pain cost the US healthcare system $134.5 billion, more than any ...