Online psychotherapy is just as efficient as conventional therapy.
Three months after the end of the therapy, patients given online treatment even displayed fewer symptoms. For the first time, clinical researchers from the University of Zurich provide scientific evidence of the equal value of internet-based psychotherapy.
Does psychotherapy via the Internet work? For the first time, clinical researchers from the University of Zurich have studied whether online psychotherapy and conventional face-to-face therapy are equally effective in an experiment. Based on earlier studies, the Zurich team assumed that the two forms of therapy were on a par. Not only was their theory confirmed, the results for online therapy even exceeded their expectations.
Six therapists treated 62 patients, the majority of whom were suffering from moderate depression. The patients were divided into two equal groups and randomly assigned to one of the therapeutic forms. The treatment consisted of eight sessions with different established techniques that stem from cognitive behavior therapy and could be carried out both orally and in writing. Patients treated online had to perform one predetermined written task per therapy unit – such as querying their own negative self-image. They were known to the therapist by name.
Online therapy even more effective in the medium term
“In both groups, the depression values fell significantly,” says Professor Andreas Maercker, summing up the results of the study. At the end of the treatment, no more depression could be diagnosed in 53 percent of the patients who underwent online therapy – compared to 50 percent for face-to-face therapy. Three months after completing the treatment, the depression in patients treated online even decreased whereas those treated conventionally only displayed a minimal decline: no more depression could be detected in 57 percent of patients from online therapy compared to 42 percent with conventional therapy.
The Latest Bing News on:
Psychotherapy via internet
- Roche announces new data at the ISTH 2020 Congress, demonstrating ongoing commitment to advancing care for people with haemophilia Aon June 29, 2020 at 6:00 am
Spark Therapeutics will present data from the initial dose cohorts of its phase I/II SPK-8011 gene therapy study, ...
- Aethlon Medical Announces Fiscal Year Financial Results and Provides Corporate Updateon June 25, 2020 at 1:42 pm
PRNewswire/ -- Aethlon Medical, Inc. (Nasdaq: AEMD), a medical device technology company focused on developing products ...
- Will Paying for In-Home Treatments Disappear When the Pandemic Is Over?on June 24, 2020 at 2:56 am
It remains to be seen what types of novel remote care will persist from this born-of-necessity experiment.
- Pandemic forced insurers to pay for in-home treatmentson June 23, 2020 at 9:13 am
He'd felt increasingly lonely in a hospital where the COVID pandemic meant no visitors. Also, Boston's Tufts Medical Center wanted to free up beds for a possible surge of the coronavirus. With a push ...
- Do Internet Based Interventions for Loneliness Work?on June 23, 2020 at 6:30 am
As a psychologist I am highly aware that psychotherapy is a luxury to which the vast majority of people do not have access (whether for financial or other reasons). The question is can internet based ...
- Pandemic Forced Insurers To Pay For In-Home Treatments. Will They Disappear?on June 23, 2020 at 2:00 am
With stay-at-home orders in place, hospitals experimented with delivering many treatments to patients where they lived. They were a success. As society reopens, the return of old payment practices ...
- Online Program Shown to Improve Insomnia, QOL in Adolescents and Young Adult Cancer Survivorson June 22, 2020 at 10:20 am
An online program designed specifically for adolescents and young adults who survived cancer was shown to significantly alleviate insomnia and improve overall quality of life, according to study ...
- Atari’s Gambling It truly is Capability On Gays And then Gamblerson June 21, 2020 at 9:22 pm
Atari’s Gambling It truly is Capability On Gays And then Gamblers Scores of bettors on world are generally experiencing their ideal cutting-edge online casino via the internet video slot system ...
- Atari’s Sporting It really is Possibility Concerning Gays And additionally Gamblerson June 21, 2020 at 5:36 pm
Atari’s Sporting It really is Possibility Concerning Gays And additionally Gamblers Many bettors all over the entire world are typically relishing your popular modern-day betting house on line port ...
- Supreme Court decision aside, some states are better – and some are worse – for LGBTQ communityon June 19, 2020 at 11:34 am
There are still many places where same-sex relationships are considered criminal behavior. 24/7 Wall St. ranked them by laws, crime and population.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Psychotherapy via internet
The Latest Bing News on:
Cognitive behavior therapy
- Does teenage anxiety have its roots in infancy?on June 29, 2020 at 9:34 am
The fact that teenagers worry isn't necessarily a concern—it's when the adolescent brain amplifies and distorts a simple worry that mental health problems can arise. As scientists aim to unlock why ...
- Innovate UK backs SleepCogni’s pivot to virtual care and remote monitoringon June 29, 2020 at 7:18 am
SleepCogni has been awarded a third round of funding from the UK’s innovation agency, Innovate UK in the form of a continuity grant.
- 4 Out of 5 Migraine Sufferers Had Fewer Headaches After CBTon June 27, 2020 at 7:07 am
Migraine headaches are notoriously difficult to treat with pain medications, which perform no better than placebo in studies. Now, a new paper in the journal Headache finds that 83 percent of patients ...
- BetterHelp group therapy kicks off July 2 tackling lonelinesson June 26, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Psychotherapy, CBT and DBT are effective for so many mental health issues ... Also encourage friends or family that are feeling lonely to seek therapy. Suicide is a real concern for people who feel ...
- I’m a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist, and Here Are 3 Ways I Help Patients Stop Their Racing Thoughtson June 26, 2020 at 8:03 am
Lately, I’ve felt burnt out as a result of my busy mind’s constant musings and my inability to quiet it; I’ve wanted to put my brain on sleep mode and not turn it back on until 2020 is over. That ...
- Black mental health: a comprehensive guide to taking care of yourself in 2020on June 26, 2020 at 2:16 am
It has provoked feelings of fury, fear, despair and an overall sense of fatigue within the Black community, uprooting a deep-seated pain that comes from a combination of factors, be it inherited ...
- Family Accommodation Hinders Anxiety Treatment in Youths With ASDon June 25, 2020 at 8:25 am
At 16 weeks, both CBT treatments significantly reduced accommodation frequency more than standard treatment, with no significant differences between the CBT treatments.
- Nurse-guided Internet-delivered CBT-I may help treat insomniaon June 25, 2020 at 7:47 am
Guidelines recommend cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) as the first line of treatment for insomnia in general practice, but CBT-I is rarely available.
- To Give Humans The Help They Need, AI Needs Human Helpon June 25, 2020 at 6:25 am
He is a technology visionary in how software and AI can improve the customer experience. The growth of AI has brought the emerging technology to a wide range of professions, including those that have ...
- Everything to know about dialectical behavioral therapyon June 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Therapy focuses on maintaining progress and setting achievable goals. The aim is to help people take responsibility for their actions and find joy in life. DBT is a modified form of CBT. Both ...