Apart from farming, it can also be used to reduce the amount of watering need for lawns, gardens, flowers and countless other home-based plants.
Solid Rain is a Mexican-made product that looks like salt and sells for $25 a pound. It’s makers claim that the product is capable of solving the world’s drought problems.
The product’s creator is a chemical engineer by the name of Sergio Jésus Rico Velasco, a man who’s spent decades trying to mitigate the drought problems that Mexico suffers from.
Inspired by baby diapers – Solid Rain is actually a highly absorbent polymer called potassium polyacrylate, which soaks in water up to 500 times its original size. 10 grams is all it takes to soak up a litre of water, transforming it into a thick, translucent gel.
The water can stay in this state for up to a year, not being effected by evaporation or having any other way to escape except when it is consumed by a plant’s roots.
A study by the Mexican government showed that farm plots yielded 300 percent more crops when Solid Rain was used. Three examples include oatmeal, which yielded 5000 kg per hectare with Solid Rain, versus 2500 kg per hectare without, sunflowers . 3000kg with versus 1000kg without, and bean which yielded a staggering 3000kg with versus 450kg without.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Thundersnow booms over Scotland with more snow and heavy rain forecast across the UKon December 4, 2020 at 5:41 am
Police have issued reassurances to the public that "explosions" heard overnight in Scotland were in fact a phenomenon known as "thundersnow". Residents in Edinburghreported what t ...
- Rain chances look slim to none over the next 7 dayson December 4, 2020 at 3:48 am
Then going into Saturday, We might have a slight chance for a few isolated showers to our Southern and Southeastern counties.However these rain chances don’t look very solid so no official rain ...
- Penn State-Rutgers game predictions: The plucky Scarlet Knights are playing solid enough football to pose problemson December 3, 2020 at 3:13 am
Penn State limped through five weeks with turnover problems and a major issue with letting games slip out of reach in the first half. The Lions took great big strides on both fronts in last week’s win ...
- Rain returns Wednesdayon December 1, 2020 at 3:56 am
The good news is once the rain clears out early Thursday we should be dry through early next week which means your weekend forecast is looking solid. So as you get ready to head out the door this ...
- Tetra Tech's Dr. Arie P. Kremen Discusses the Role of PFAS in the Solid Waste Industryon November 30, 2020 at 12:13 am
Identifying the importance of landfills in sequestering PFAS Nov 30, 2020 (3BL Media via COMTEX) -- SOURCE:Tetra TechDESCRIPTION: Arie Kremen is a civil ...
- PM Update: Heavy rain overnight. Gusty showers and storms possible Monday afternoon.on November 29, 2020 at 2:01 pm
A strong storm system develops and moves through late tonight, bringing a mix of hazards to our area in a short time frame, capped off by the potential for strong to possibly severe storms Monday ...
- It was far from pretty, but Texas A&M’s win over LSU was solid for a team aiming for the College Football Playoffon November 29, 2020 at 4:30 am
COLLEGE STATION — Blame the rust from a 21-day hiatus forced by COVID-19 precautions and factor in the chilly, steady rain at Kyle Field. Whatever ...
- Pittsburgh Weather: Black Friday Rain Chanceson November 27, 2020 at 3:32 am
Mostly cloudy to cloudy skies are expected today with temperatures holding fairly steady through around 2:00 this afternoon.
- Storm Team 11: Rain this evening, cooler and drier tomorrowon November 22, 2020 at 7:22 am
Good afternoon, Rain on the wayMostly cloudy skies will be around today before rain moves in by this evening. There is a 60% chance of showers. Most location may see a tenth to a quarter of an ...
- Storm Team 11: Dry for most of today but the rain is on the wayon November 22, 2020 at 2:07 am
Good morning, Rain on the wayMostly cloudy skies will be around today before rain moves in by this evening. There is a 60% chance of showers. Most location may see a tenth to a quarter of an inch ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- 20 Awesome Science Experiments You Can Do Right Now At Homeon August 19, 2020 at 8:28 am
Dropping a gummy bear into a test tube with potassium chlorate releases the chemical energy inside in an intense chemical reaction. That’s exactly what's happening when you eat candy ...