Imagine turning a whiteboard, glass window or even a wooden table top into a responsive, touch sensitive surface.
A low cost system developed by Nanyang Technological University (NTU), based on the principles of vibration and imaging that is able to track the movements of multiple fingers and of objects, can do just that.
Retrofitting the system onto existing flat-panel TVs will transform it into new, touch sensitive display screens, at only a fraction of the cost of new touch-sensitive display screens, which can cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Once hooked up to a computer, the modified TV screens can then be used as interactive billboards, mall directories and even as a digital whiteboard which can track what is drawn or written.
NTU Assistant Professor Andy Khong, who led the research, says this award-winning system has been proven on different types of large surfaces. The team won the Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award 2012, presented by The Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES) last December.
“Our innovative system is able to transform surfaces such as wooden tables, aluminium, steel, glass and even plastics into low-cost touch screens. It means in future, you could play computer games or draw sketches on walls or windows since almost all surfaces can be made touch-sensitive with our system,” says Prof Khong.
The technologies developed for the system have already led to several academic publications, patents and conference papers. The latest research findings were published earlier this month in the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) journal. IEEE is the world’s largest professional association for the electrical and electronics industry and its journal is renowned for its peer reviewed and quality research papers.
How it works
Named STATINA (Speech Touch and Acoustic Tangible Interfaces for Next-generation Applications), this interdisciplinary research project exploits principles of vibration waves propagating on a solid surface.
By using a few low-cost vibration sensors and a specially developed algorithm, the system can pinpoint the location of a light tap on any surface. When further equipped with low-cost web-cameras, this system can also track the movements of multiple fingers or objects on any surface.
Since sound waves propagate through matter at a certain speed, it is possible to derive the location of the touch based on when each sensor picks up the signal, Prof Khong added.
In addition to understanding the mechanics behind solid wave propagation, the scientists had developed a unique signal processing algorithm to figure out the exact location of the initial point of impact.
STATINA is the culmination of Prof Khong’s research spanning the last four years. He and his team of researchers are now working to commercialize their invention by developing a more compact system and expanding its capabilities to include tracking of fingers and stylus movements using optical cameras.
So far, they have tested their system on surfaces such as wooden tables, aluminium, steel, glass and plastics.
The Latest Bing News on:
Low cost touch screens
- Xiaomi unveils new Redmi Note 9 trio: Pro has a 108MP cam, 120 Hz screenon November 26, 2020 at 7:01 am
The Redmi Note 9 series wasn’t available in China until now, but the series arrives with a bang. The new Pro model costs the same as last year, CNY 1,600, but the difference in hardware is massive.
- Multi Touch Equipment Market – 10% Growth Forecast from 2020 to 2024on November 25, 2020 at 11:44 pm
Nov (Market Insight Reports) -- the global multi touch equipment market has been touted to garner $20 billion by 2024. The global multi ...
- First Touch-Free Gesture Proof-of-Concept Contract with PC OEM for Elliptic Labson November 25, 2020 at 12:48 am
Elliptic Labs (OSE: ELABS-ME) announced today the first touch-free gesture proof-of-concept contract with one of the top three PC manufacturers. This is the fourth contract the company has signed with ...
- 5 best touch screen laptops under $500 [Black Friday 2020]on November 23, 2020 at 11:09 am
If your focus is on productivity, a touch screen laptop is paramount. We know budget is also a big deal, so here are our picks under $500.
- Sysdig Introduces Low-Touch Zero Trust Network Security for Kuberneteson November 17, 2020 at 5:03 am
Sysdig announced the launch of Zero Trust network security for Kubernetes, expanding its runtime security to add network visibility and segmentation.
- Breakingviews - Foxconn hitches bumpy ride with electric vehicleson November 8, 2020 at 11:04 pm
Broadly speaking, contract-manufacturing for electronics is a low ... like touch screens, plays to its strengths. Existing facilities can easily be reconfigured for little extra cost, according ...
- ESP8266 Adds Slick Touchscreen Controls To A Stretch Limoon November 5, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Because of its low-cost, support for Wi-Fi, serial, and GPIO, ESP8266 boards are a reasonable candidate to create a unified control system for multiple devices. This is even more true for the ...
- Selpic Star A - the World’s Most Cost-Effective Multifunctional 3D Printer Live on Kickstarter Nowon November 5, 2020 at 6:06 am
Los Angeles, CA, November 05, 2020 --(PR.com)-- Selpic Inc. has announced the official launch of the Selpic Star A- the world’s most cost-effective ... inch full-color touch screen.
- Apple’s low-cost iPhone SE 2 aka iPhone 9 said to retain Touch ID home buttonon November 5, 2020 at 5:46 am
has the embedded Touch ID fingerprint sensor. Previous leaks have also mentioned that the iPhone SE successor will take design cues from the iPhone 8. The upcoming ‘low-cost’ iPhone is said to ...
- Best all-in-one printers in 2020on November 4, 2020 at 4:02 pm
Our favorite printers not only offer fast, high-quality document printing, but also have excellent features, straightforward setup and support, and a low cost ... a large touch screen and duplex ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Low-cost touch screens
The Latest Bing News on:
Touch sensitive surface
- Apple’s new patent shows Force Touch might come to MacBook Touch Baron November 27, 2020 at 2:18 am
Apple has applied for a patent which shows that it might be working on bringing force touch to MacBook Touch Bar. The timing is surprising as Apple just ...
- Ardmore Development Wins 2020 Montgomery Awardon November 25, 2020 at 12:57 pm
The Montgomery Awards recognizes the beset in planning and design, advocacy, and environmental stewardship in Montgomery County.
- Apple Wins Patent for an Adaptive Input Surface that could represent a Virtual Keyboard, Game or Music Controller & moreon November 24, 2020 at 3:46 am
Today the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office officially granted Apple relating to a touch-sensitive input device with an adaptable surface. While the input device may represent a virtual keyboard having ...
- On the Surface, laptop might be a Goon November 23, 2020 at 7:00 am
The Microsoft Surface Laptop Go is small, light, stylish and affordable, but is it the laptop for you? It is the entry level model of the Surface laptop range first rolled out in 2017. It’s ...
- Pressure Sensitive Adhesives Market is Expected to Touch a Value of $12,963 million by 2023on November 18, 2020 at 9:43 pm
Allied Analytics :Pressure Sensitive Adhesives Market Report,published by Allied Market Research, forecasts that the global market was valued at $8,408 million in 2016, and is expected to garner ...
- Microsoft Surface Pro 3 review: sell your iPad and laptop, and get this insteadon November 11, 2020 at 3:01 am
As a graphic artist and photographer, the pressure sensitive stylus is absolutely ... Original and 2nd generation Type/Touch Covers will still work with the Surface Pro 3, but they don’t cover ...
- Apple Wins a Patent for Filtering Unintended Contacts on an Apple Watch with Wet Clothing that Drains Battery Lifeon November 10, 2020 at 4:52 am
to filtering unintended contact detected on a touch-sensitive surface. In wet environments in particular, water (e.g., from rain, shower, sweat, etc.) on the touch-sensitive surface can be ...
- Blackmagic Design Announces New Fairlight Desktop Consoleon November 9, 2020 at 3:03 pm
--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Blackmagic Design today announced the new Fairlight Desktop Console, a portable audio control surface featuring 12 incredibly high quality touch sensitive flying ...
- Touch Sensitive Cement With Just A Dash Of Neonon November 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm
[Elliott Spelman] built his own touch sensitive cement table top. When you place your grubby hands on the polished surface, a loop of neon lighting is switched on. This is thanks to a 4:1 mix of ...
- Goby fins have fingertip touch sensitivityon November 4, 2020 at 12:17 am
He and Hale also suspect that the goby's tactical sensitivity may have originated far back in evolution. 'This primate hand-like touch also suggests that the ability to detect surface differences ...