Harvesting waste heat from power stations and even vehicle exhaust pipes could soon provide a valuable supply of electricity.
A small team of Monash University researchers working under the Australian Research Council (ARC) Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science (ACES) has developed an ionic liquid-based thermocell. Thermocell technology is based on harnessing the thermal energy from the difference in temperature between two surfaces and converting that energy into electricity.
Led by Monash University researcher and Australian Laureate Fellow Professor Doug MacFarlane and Monash University PhD student Theodore Abraham, the collaborative project developed the thermocell device with the highest power outputs yet reported and no carbon emissions.
The new thermocell could be used to generate electricity from low grade steam in coal fired power stations at temperatures around 130°C. This would be implemented by having the steam pass over the outer surface of the hot electrode to keep it hot while the other electrode is air or water cooled.
Professor MacFarlane said the breakthrough included the development of a novel ionic liquid-based redox electrolyte.
“We have found that it can work at elevated temperatures typical of important heat sources, as opposed to water-based systems, which cannot operate at temperatures above 100 degrees Celsius,” Professor MacFarlane said.
“The device offers the possibility of a cheap and flexible design suitable for harvesting waste heat in the 100- to 200-degrees Celsius range.”
PhD student Theodore Abraham said that by using heat already produced in industrial processes that would otherwise be untapped, the thermocell is an attractive method of relieving some of the present reliance on fossil fuels.
“The major benefit of a thermocell is that it harnesses energy that is already readily out there; you’re just harnessing energy that is otherwise lost to surroundings,” Mr Abraham said.
The Latest Bing News on:
- LSU Garden News: Use these smart watering practices to cut down on waste and workon July 20, 2020 at 7:17 am
Watering your landscape in the heat of summer can be an onerous task. But it doesn't have to be. With water-wise landscaping, you can have an attractive yard, cut down on watering chores and help ...
- Solar PV panel waste will not become a significant problemon July 19, 2020 at 8:35 pm
Solar PV is being installed faster than everything else put together (fossil, nuclear, and other renewables not counting wind) on the rooftops of homes and businesses, and in large-scale ground ...
- Many plants suffer in the heat of Julyon July 18, 2020 at 9:35 pm
Many shrubs and bedding plants are suffering in the normal hot weather of July. Homeowners are concerned about their plants, especially newly set trees shrubs and vegetable gardens. Even with ...
- EfW the answer to national waste problem, says reporton July 17, 2020 at 4:30 am
A report from Policy Connect, supported by cross-party MPs, argues that energy-from-waste is the answer to the UK’s residual waste problem.
- YULU'S Hot New Games And Toys Hit Retail Shelves To Heat Up Summer Funon July 16, 2020 at 3:20 am
YULU, the international toy and entertainment company, announces the retail launch of their 2020 line of action-packed games and toys wh ...
- Burning waste ‘could heat half a million UK homes and support net zero goal’on July 15, 2020 at 9:14 pm
A new report suggests diverting 80% of the country's non-recyclable waste for green heat could also help avoid four million tonnes of carbon emissions by 2030 alone ...
- Madison County Moves E-Waste Recycling Locationon July 12, 2020 at 3:25 am
If you have old electronics that you are trying to get rid of, Madison County Planning and Development has you covered with a series of events. However, the location for those events have moved in ...
- Summer heat and the COVID-19 pandemic have combined to cause a pool shortageon July 10, 2020 at 11:55 am
The COVID-19 pandemic has left so many things in short supply this year, and each month brings a new shortage — from Lysol wipes to chicken breasts and even bicycles. The latest? Backyard pools.
- Madison County Moves E-Waste Recycling Collection Events To New Location.on July 9, 2020 at 2:04 pm
Madison County Planning and Development is moving its remaining three electronic waste collection events set for later this year t ...
- Higher fees, fewer trash pick-ups for Santa Rosa County after board approves Waste Pro contracton July 9, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Higher rates and fewer trash pickups are in store after the Santa Rosa County Commission signed an agreement to make Waste Pro the county's sole waste hauler.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Does It Work: Thermacell Mosquito Repellanton July 10, 2020 at 6:50 pm
However, mosquitoes will continue to be a problem. The makers of the Thermacell Mosquito Repellant system claim their device will repel disease-carrying mosquitoes and other flying pests.
- This Outdoor Lantern Will Keep Mosquitoes Away—No Bug Spray Necessaryon June 26, 2020 at 8:03 am
But you don't have to choose between comfort and having a cocktail on the porch, because this lamp from Thermacell ($25) keeps outdoor spaces mosquito-free without the mess of bug spray.
- The 4 Best Mosquito Repellent Deviceson June 25, 2020 at 4:04 pm
There's one company that immediately stands out in the category: Thermacell. The brand's signature and award-winning technology — which uses an internal fuel source to vaporize a repellent ...
- Why Mosquitoes Love You More Than Otherson June 24, 2020 at 7:33 am
Scientific research by Thermacell has shown that mosquitoes have dining preferences and that specific steps will take you off their menu BEDFORD, Mass., June 24, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- "Why me?" ...
- Why Mosquitoes Love You More Than Otherson June 24, 2020 at 4:04 am
"A mosquito's ability to find human hosts is annoyingly accurate," said Kyle Adelman, senior marketing manager at Thermacell® Repellents, Inc., a leading manufacturer of area mosquito repellents.
- Global Mosquito Killer Lamps Market 2020 Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain and Analysis to 2024on June 23, 2020 at 8:52 pm
2.3.1 Global Mosquito Killer Lamps Consumption Market Share by Type (2014-2019) 2.3.2 Global Mosquito Killer Lamps Revenue and Market Share by Type (2014-2019) 2.3.3 Global Mosquito Killer Lamps ...
- Why Mosquitoes Love You More Than Otherson June 23, 2020 at 5:06 am
"A mosquito's ability to find human hosts is annoyingly accurate," said Kyle Adelman, senior marketing manager at Thermacell ® Repellents, Inc., a leading manufacturer of area mosquito repellents.
- This Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Really Works, According to Amazon Reviewerson June 17, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Nothing ruins a day outside faster thanpesky mosquitoes zipping in your ear.The Thermacell Patio ShieldMosquito Repellent is currentlyAmazon’s number one best-seller.The patio shield also boasts ...
- Thermacell Backpacker's Pack Repelleron May 5, 2019 at 4:46 pm
Shop with confidence. If it’s not working out, you can return it (consumables, undergarments and swimwear excluded). Really. If it's not up to snuff after you use it (a couple times) you can still ...