The test results were very successful and have confirmed that the prototype has accomplished their objectives by reducing costs of construction, installation and maintenance.
Researchers at the UPM, within the framework of PROCODAC-GESMEY project, have participated in the construction and testing of the prototype of a device to harness energy from ocean currents able to work in deep water.
In collaboration with the Astilleros Balenciaga company and the Fundación Centro Tecnológico Soermar, researchers at the Group of R&D GITERM, assigned to the Higher Technical School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, are participating at the PROCODAC project, focused on the design, construction and testing on a marine environment of an experimentation prototype at a ten to one scale of what would be an industrial unit able to provide a 1MW of electricity (GESMEY project). This prototype is complemented by an underwater buoy that was designed to operate in areas of 40 metres of depth.
The test results were very successful and have confirmed that this prototype can produce the expected energy and to be maneuvered by remote control, what can be of interest to use it in future underwater power plants.
Today, to harness energy is an issue of interest, particularly those related to sea. The first generation of systems of harnessing energy from ocean currents was only feasible in areas of maximum depth of 30-50 metres (because the generators were joined at the bottom) and its maintenance was expensive. Consequently, second-generation systems came out: anchoring systems with diverse solutions that allow us a submerged operation with the possibility to put afloat the main elements for its maintenance.
The Latest Bing News on:
Energy from Ocean Currents
- Mathematical tools predict if wave-energy devices stay afloat in the oceanon October 13, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Ocean waves represent an abundant source of renewable energy. But to best use this natural resource, wave-energy converters need to be capable of physically handling ocean waves of different strengths ...
- NJR Clean Energy Ventures and Borough of Hopatcong to Host Ribbon-cutting for New 1.5 Megawatt Commercial Solar Projecton October 13, 2020 at 9:48 am
CEO Steve Westhoven and Hopatcong Mayor Michael Francis to join with local leaders to host a ribbon-cutting on October 15, 2020, at 10 a.m., to celebrate the completion of a new commercial solar ...
- New technologies show potential for renewable energy job growth in Canadaon October 13, 2020 at 9:22 am
There is lots of opportunity for Canada to secure good, high-paying domestic jobs in renewable energy by focusing on more cutting-edge technologies ...
- Ocean patterns help scientists forecast drought, water flow in the Colorado riveron October 9, 2020 at 7:19 am
By analyzing what researchers call "long-term ocean memory," scientists have been able to identify connections between flow rates in the Colorado River and sea surface temperatures in parts of the ...
- Sylvia Earle Demands Japanese Shipowner Remove Sunk Wakashio Wreck From Indian Ocean Flooron October 7, 2020 at 7:06 am
Ocean scientist, Dr Sylvia Earle, calls on Japanese shipowner to remove Wakashio wreck from bottom of Indian Ocean floor. The vessel was deliberately scuttled off the coast of Mauritius, causing ...
- Ocean Energy Is Vital To The Low Carbon 2.0 Energy Transitionon October 6, 2020 at 1:26 pm
As the world seeks out new decarbonization strategies to address the impacts of climate change, the success stories of solar and wind need to be complemented by other renewable energy technologies.
- FuelCell Energy: Key Projects Underpinning Investor Hopes Appear To Have Been Cancelledon October 5, 2020 at 1:30 pm
FCEL appears to have lost two of its largest generation contract awards valued at approximately $636mn of future revenue and equivalent to ~100% of its current operating portfolio.
- For red abalone, resisting ocean acidification starts with momon October 5, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Red abalone mothers from California's North Coast give their offspring an energy boost when they're born that helps them better withstand ocean acidification compared to their captive, farmed ...
- AM Best Removes From Under Review With Developing Implications and Affirms Credit Ratings of Ocean International Reinsurance Company Limitedon October 2, 2020 at 12:56 pm
AM Best has removed from under review with developing implications and affirmed the Financial Strength Rating of A- (Excellent) and the Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating of "a-" of Ocean International ...
- Seismic Blasting Ocean for Oil, Which Could Have Wiped Out Endangered Whale, Halted in Atlanticon October 2, 2020 at 6:54 am
Seismic blasting produces one of the loudest sounds in the ocean, and can damage marine creatures' hearing and disrupt their feeding behaviors and communications.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Energy from Ocean Currents
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- No Man’s Sky FPS drops & packet loss: How to fix them?on October 13, 2020 at 10:00 am
If you can't enjoy No Man's Sky because of constant FPS drops and packet loss, we can help you fix these issues in no time.
- Liberty’s Campus Experiences Several Power Outages Over the Weekendon October 13, 2020 at 9:27 am
The second weekend in October brought unprecedented darkness to Liberty’s campus. A power outage stretched from South Tower to Green Hall at approximately 12 a.m. Friday. The lights eventually came ba ...
- VIDEO: Watch the Season Four Trailer for CHICO BON BON on Netflix Jr.on October 13, 2020 at 9:20 am
There’s no problem that Chico Bon Bon and his “Fix-it Force” can’t solve ... Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and ...
- Medigus: Smart Repair Pro gains Amazon's approval for launch in the UK and 4 top EU countrieson October 13, 2020 at 6:38 am
(NASDAQ:MDGS) (TASE:MDGS), a technology company engaged in advanced medical solutions and innovative internet technologies, today announced that it was informed by Smart Repair Pro, Inc. a data-driven ...
- Virginia audits its elections every year – but state law renders the check powerless to fix mistakeson October 12, 2020 at 6:04 pm
VA voting machines are checked for problems before Election Day. But an audit of whether they ultimately tallied votes accurately happens after results are finalized ...
- Seattle Garage Door Repair Central Decides on Rapid Expansion of Services for the Upcoming Fiscal Yearon October 12, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Seattle Garage Door Repair Central, an eminent Seattle garage door repair service provider, has decided to rapidly expand its range of services to include a plethora of repair and maintenance services ...
- Betaworks and Betalab unveil their first four startups working to ‘fix the internet’on October 8, 2020 at 9:57 am
Back in March, startup studio Betaworks announced that it was partnering with James Murdoch’s Lupa Systems to create a new program called Betalab, which would fund and mentor early-stage startups that ...
- The Internet Is Broken, and ISPs Are to Blameon October 7, 2020 at 2:30 pm
The internet is broken and the ISPs bear a big brunt of the blame. But don’t worry, Cory Doctorow has a great plan to fix the problem. This is System Reboot.
- A simple $50 accessory can double the internet speed on your computer or gaming consoleon October 6, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Anyone wondering how to speed up your home internet without dropping a ton of cash on an overpriced mesh Wi-Fi system will be happy to hear that it’s much easier and less expensive than you ...
- How can I fix the dent on the aluminum without replacing the display?on October 6, 2020 at 7:51 am
I had recently dropped this Mac from half feet above the ground onto concrete and there’s this minor dent just on the front close left to the area where we open the lid, so I can see it every time I ...