An international group of scientists has shown that a drug candidate designed by scientists from the Florida campus of The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) significantly increases exercise endurance in animal models.
These findings could lead to new approaches to helping people with conditions that acutely limit exercise tolerance, such as obesity, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and congestive heart failure, as well as the decline of muscle capacity associated with aging.
The study was published July 14, 2013, by the journal Nature Medicine.
The drug candidate, SR9009, is one of a pair of compounds developed in the laboratory of TSRI Professor Thomas Burris and described in a March 2012 issue of the journal Nature as reducing obesity in animal models. The compounds affect the core biological clock, which synchronizes the rhythm of the body’s activity with the 24-hour cycle of day and night.
The compounds work by binding to one of the body’s natural molecules called Rev-erb?, which influences lipid and glucose metabolism in the liver, the production of fat-storing cells and the response of macrophages (cells that remove dying or dead cells) during inflammation.
In the new study, a team led by scientists at the Institut Pasteur de Lille in France demonstrated that mice lacking Rev-erb? had decreased skeletal muscle metabolic activity and running capacity. Burris’ group showed that activation of Rev-erb? with SR9009 led to increased metabolic activity in skeletal muscle in both culture and in mice. The treated mice had a 50 percent increase in running capacity, measured by both time and distance.
“The animals actually get muscles like an athlete who has been training,” said Burris. “The pattern of gene expression after treatment with SR9009 is that of an oxidative-type muscle— again, just like an athlete.”
The authors of the new study suggest that Rev-erb? affects muscle cells by promoting both the creation of new mitochondria (often referred to as the “power plants” of the cell) and the clearance of those mitochondria that are defective.
The Latest Bing News on:
Increases exercise endurance
- Two-star general visits CSU to learn more about fitness studyon November 11, 2020 at 12:28 pm
The commanding general for the U.S. Army Center for Initial Military Training recently paid a visit to CSU to get a firsthand look at the university’s pioneering study involving the Army Combat ...
- The Queen’s Fitness Routine Involves Weight Training With a Crownon November 9, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Elizabeth’s endurance is “striking,” says biographer Sally Bedell ... press or curl in a gym environment. The only real “weight training” Elizabeth has ever endured was done out of regal necessity.
- Increase Your Cardio Fitness And Stamina With This Indoor Cycling Workouton November 9, 2020 at 1:33 pm
With a drawn-out winter ahead it’s worth gathering as many effective workouts as possible to fill the months of indoor training to come, and you can add this hour-long workout from the team at ...
- Fitness Keto Reviews - Latest Keto Diet Pills Scam Revealedon November 8, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Further, the pills of Fitness Keto will ensure that the consumer is having a good metabolic rate with the help of which the food is easily being digested. It will even increase the stamina and ...
- How Fit Can You Get From Bodyweight Exercises Alone?on November 6, 2020 at 10:15 pm
Not convinced bodyweight exercises help you get fit? Read the science behind it all, get ideas on where to start and how to progress.
- This TRX Home-Training System Is an Unrivaled Gift for Fitness Beginners and Proson November 5, 2020 at 11:32 am
The TRX Home2 System is an amazing gift for anyone who's just getting into working out or never stops training — details ...
- Good nutrition and intensive exercise may improve mental abilitieson November 3, 2020 at 2:31 am
However, intensive exercise alone improved strength and endurance more than intensive training with ... The research team recorded cognitive functioning increases in: short-term memory episodic memory ...
- 3 exercises to boost your brain healthon November 3, 2020 at 2:17 am
As the weeks pass, the predictable, repetitive schedule associated with working and playing can become monotonous. That’s why it’s essential to implement brain games that help dust off the cobwebs.
- The Link Between Muscle Fiber Types and Your Body’s Response to Trainingon November 2, 2020 at 10:47 am
While you can’t change your proportion of muscle fibers, here’s what you can do to optimize your mileage. If you lack robust type I fibers, you can still increase your mileage—just keep track of your ...
- Olympic Speedskater, Accomplished Triathlete Apolo Ohno to Present Keynote at Endurance Exchangeon November 2, 2020 at 7:15 am
USA Triathlon today announced renowned Olympic speedskater Apolo Anton Ohno as a keynote speaker for the second annual Endurance Exchange, a virtual endurance sports industry conference hosted by USA ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Increases exercise endurance
The Latest Bing News on:
- SLU Researchers Study a New Way to Lower LDL Cholesterolon November 1, 2020 at 8:28 pm
Similarly, in a previous study, Burris found that a synthetic version of REV-ERB called SR9009 reduces total plasma cholesterol and triglyceride levels in an animal model. In this study, Burris found ...