Defying 30 mph gusts and temperatures down to minus 22 F, NASA’s new polar rover recently demonstrated in Greenland that it could operate completely autonomously in one of Earth’s harshest environments.
The robot known as GROVER, which stands for both Greenland Rover and Goddard Remotely Operated Vehicle for Exploration and Research, was designed by teams of students attending engineering boot camps at Goddard in the summers of 2010 and 2011. Built to carry a ground-penetrating radar to analyze layers of snow and ice, the rover was later transferred to Boise State University for fine-tuning with NASA funding.
Although researchers had tested GROVER at a beach in Maryland and in the snow in Idaho, the May 6 to June 8 testing at Summit Camp, the highest spot in Greenland, was the rover’s first polar experience. One of the main goals was proving that the robot could execute commands sent from afar over an Iridium satellite connection – an objective GROVER accomplished.
“When we saw it moving and travelling to the locations our professor had keyed in from Boise, we knew all of our hard work had paid off,” said Gabriel Trisca, a graduate student from Boise State University who has been involved in the GROVER project from its start. “GROVER has grown to be a fully-autonomous, GPS-guided and satellite-linked platform for scientific research.” Trisca accompanied the robot to Greenland.
GROVER collected and stored radar data over 18 miles during the five weeks it spent on the ice. During the testing, the rover was also able to transmit information in real time on how its onboard systems were performing. The robot’s solar-charged batteries allowed it to operate for up to 12 hours before having to recharge.
“When you work at the poles, on the ice, it’s cold, it’s tiring, it’s expensive and there’s a limit to how much ground you can cover on snowmobiles,” said Lora Koenig, a glaciologist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. “It would be great if autonomous robotic platforms could do part of this work — especially the part where high winds and blowing snow try to freeze your skin.”
Though researchers had initially expected the 800-pound robot to work around the clock and cover more ground, the extreme polar conditions took a toll on GROVER’s electronics, battery consumption and mobility.
“This is very common the first time you take an instrument into an environment like Greenland,” said Hans-Peter Marshall, a geoscientist at Boise State University and science adviser on the project. “It’s always more challenging than you thought it was going to be: Batteries don’t recharge as fast and they don’t last as long, and it takes computers and instrumentation longer to boot.”
Another challenge was the uneven icy terrain. The researchers had to repeatedly tinker with the rover’s speed and the power sent to each of its two autonomous tracks so that the robot would not get stuck in the snow.
The Latest Bing News on:
- When Saath Nibhaana Saathiya's Kokila met Sunil Grover's Topi Bahuon October 11, 2020 at 4:06 am
Saath Nibhaana Saathiya actress Rupal Patel will appear on Sunil Grover's Gangs Of Filmistan. Rupal Patel will be back as Kokila on Saath Nibhaana Saathiya 2.
- Insider: Stats fail to tell the story of how important Grover Stewart is to Colts defenseon October 9, 2020 at 7:30 am
With Grover Stewart and DeForest Buckner clogging up the middle, that’s the No. 1 reason why our run defense is so good.” ...
- Grover, Colorado Population and Demographicson October 9, 2020 at 2:33 am
Grover is a town in Weld County, Colorado, with a population of 180. According to the most recent estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, 90.60% of residents identify as white, 2.80% as Black or ...
- Grover, North Carolina Population and Demographicson October 8, 2020 at 10:11 pm
Grover is a town in Cleveland County, North Carolina, with a population of 710. According to the most recent estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, 71.30% of residents identify as white, 25.40% as ...
- Belleville Patch: Halloween Events, Fun Pumpkin Stuff (UPDATED)on October 7, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Got Halloween fever? Need to buy a pumpkin? Here a list of some places near Belleville and Nutley where you can get your fix.
- Film Room: Grover Stewart was the key to shutting down the Bears’ run gameon October 7, 2020 at 6:00 am
The biggest key in my opinion though was the under the radar and underappreciated play of starting 1-Tech DT Grover Stewart. Today we will look at why he was so big in shutting down the run and why he ...
- TV star Mohammad Nazim reveals he is a Sunil Grover fanon October 6, 2020 at 5:00 pm
TV actor Mohammad Nazim says he is a fan of comedian Sunil Grover. Nazim got a chance to work with Sunil in the comedy show, "Gangs Of Filmistan". On the show, Sunil portrays a character that spoofs ...
- Grover Norquist and Jonathan Small: State Question 805 is common-sense, conservative reformon October 5, 2020 at 10:36 pm
Improving the criminal justice system has long been a priority for conservatives across the country, including state leaders and voters right here in Oklahoma. It is no surprise why — ...
- Grover Norquist: President Trump's Covid-19 diagnosis will not have an impact on stimulus talkson October 2, 2020 at 5:35 pm
Grover Norquist, founder and president of Americans for Tax Reform, joins CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" to discuss whether President Trump's Covid-19 diagnosis will have an impact on the stimulus ...
- Obituary: Verlie V. Groveron October 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Verlie V. Grover, 94, of Bath, died Oct. 2, 2020 at home peacefully. She was born in Woolwich Sept. 27, 1926, the daughter of Hartley and Mildred Bishop Hathorne. She attended schools in Woolwich and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- What would a manned mission to Mars be like?on October 13, 2020 at 10:03 am
All in all, going to Mars and back would take more than two years and cover more than 100 million miles of space travel.
- From isolated Nunavut island to Mars: Researcher reflects on training as pandemic halts planson October 13, 2020 at 2:11 am
Haughton Project were unable to travel to Devon Island in Nunavut's High Arctic for the first time in 24 years because of COVID-19, but their mission to Mars continues.
- Mars will shine big and bright in the sky on Tuesdayon October 12, 2020 at 6:43 am
Mars will be visible with the naked eye and appear slightly reddish in colour - looking through a telescope should allow you to spot surface features and polar ice caps.
- NASA is sending a drone to Mars for the first timeon October 9, 2020 at 7:15 pm
With a telescope, you can see Mars' southern polar ice cap, according to Marty McGuire, a NASA Ambassador in the Lehigh Valley.
- UAE to develop small lunar roveron October 6, 2020 at 1:17 pm
AlRais said this rover could be the first in a series of lunar missions by the UAE, with subsequent ones going to the polar regions that are of particular interest because of the ice deposits that ...
- Mars mission: Scientists discover more proof of the presence of liquid water under the surface of Red Planeton October 5, 2020 at 2:40 am
NASA is currently in the midst of preparing for an upcoming Mars mission, following the successful launch of the Perseverance Rover some months back. With the agencys focus on whether or not life was ...
- Watch Mars Make Its Closest Approach To Earth Until 2035on October 5, 2020 at 1:20 am
With its shrunken polar cap and its large apparent angular ... NASA's Mars 2020 mission, which includes the Perseverance rover, was launched at the end of July, ... [+] 2020, and will arrive ...
- Shoe box-size moon rover arrives at Kennedy Space Center for testingon October 2, 2020 at 11:09 am
The company is developing larger lunar robots as well, including the Griffin moon lander, selected by NASA to deliver the Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover, or VIPER, to the south ...
- Even more salty lakes found under Mars' south poleon October 2, 2020 at 3:14 am
Scientists have now confirmed the 2018 discovery of a large lake of salty water under Mars' south polar ice cap, and they have also found ... NASA's Perseverance rover is scheduled to touch down in ...
- Even more salty lakes found under Mars' south poleon September 30, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Background image: Superimposed upon a 2015 Mars Express image of the south polar region ... artist's conception drawing shows NASA's Perseverance rover and its tiny Ingenuity drone, which are ...