OrCam, a tiny wearable computer, uses audio feedback to relay visual data; it can even help the blind read.
A new device called OrCam could be life-changing for the visually impaired and blind: The tiny wearable computer uses audio feedback to relay visual information that they can’t see, enabling them to take on new tasks they were unable to perform alone before.
The device works with a 5-mega pixel camera that attaches to spectacles. It is capable of reading text and with the help of the user, can be taught to recognize faces and objects, says computer sciences professor Amnon Shashua, cofounder of the Israeli startup OrCam Technologies.
The Orcam invention is based on a computer-vision algorithm called ‘Share Boost,’ which researcher Yonatan Wexler says has improved artificial intelligence. The device can work for up to six hours before needing recharging.
One of the benefits of OrCam is that it has a memory system that stores the objects it recognizes and continually adds to the users library.
Researchers say there are still a few kinks to iron out – most importantly the device’s sensitivity to light and surfaces that are not flat.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Wearable Computing Devices Market - Global Growth, Trends, Forecast Report 2020-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 12, 2020 at 6:35 am
Growth, Trends, Forecast (2020 - 2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global wearable computing devices market accounted for 181.5 million units in 2019, and it is ...
- ST, Quanta Computer collaborate on reference design for AR smart glasseson November 11, 2020 at 8:30 am
STMicroelectronics and Quanta Computer have agreed on a joint effort to make a reference design for augmented-reality (AR) smart glasses. Based on ST's Laser-Beam Scanning technology and Quanta's AR ...
- Wearable Computing Market Forecast to 2027 – COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysison November 11, 2020 at 2:09 am
The global Wearable Computing market is segregated on the basis of Technology as Computing, Display, Networking, and ...
- Global Wearable Computing Devices Market Size 2020 Company Overview, Growth and Forecast By 2025 Latest Research Report by Industry Research Coon November 10, 2020 at 2:00 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." “Wearable Computing Devices Market” ...
- UT research enables intuitive human control of wearable robots to improve mobility of paretic patientson November 9, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Wearable robots such as exoskeletons are often used in the rehabilitation of paretic patients (people with paralysis, for example after a stroke or spinal cord injury).
- The GodView Tech smart glasses are a wearable 5K big screen TVon November 9, 2020 at 1:35 pm
The GodView smart glasses offer a 110-degree FoV and a 5K resolution display to make a 300' virtual screen for media consumption.
- On Computers: Toe to Toe with Alexa and Googleon November 7, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Alexa, the voice inside the Amazon Echo Dot, or Google Assistant, the voice inside the Google Home speaker, renamed “Google Nest.” Until recently, I would have said Google Assistant. That was before I ...
- Researchers Develop Highly Stretchable, Self-Healable, and Recyclable Wearable Electronicson November 6, 2020 at 12:21 pm
An international team of scientists from China and the United States has developed a multifunctional wearable electronic device that can simultaneously provide full recyclability, excellent mechanical ...
- MSU, EMCC’s Communiversity partner to study wearable technology in industry settingson November 5, 2020 at 8:43 am
Mississippi State University and East Mississippi Community College are working together to understand the barriers to, and potential benefits of, wearable technology in industry settings.
- Apple Won 62 Patents Today covering Apple Watch as a 'Wearable Audio Device' and moreon November 3, 2020 at 2:51 pm
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office officially published a series of 62 newly granted patents for Apple Inc. today. In this particular report we cover a patent for Apple Watch with a Blood Oxygen ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Helping the blind see
- This startup wants to replace the white cane for blind peopleon November 13, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Using advanced technologies such as lidar—also used in autonomous vehicles—Strap’s assistive device is aimed at helping visually impaired people navigate their environment.
- Actress Maame Gyanwaa of "Cow & Chicken" fame going blind; appeals for helpon November 13, 2020 at 9:53 am
Popular Ghanaian actress, Mavis Yeboah, known widely as Maame Gyanwaa for her role in Ghanaian sitcom Cow and Chicken, is reported to be gradually going blind.
- This blind rhino’s infrared security system could help stop poacherson November 12, 2020 at 5:06 am
When conservationist and White Lion Foundation director Brett Barlow took in a blind black rhinoceros that had been found wandering through the South African bush in 2019, he did so knowing that the ...
- Cat cleverly uses window blind to help see over the hedgeon November 9, 2020 at 4:48 am
A cat cleverly uses their owner's window blind to help see over their garden hedge, as they prop themselves up against it, acting like a seat.
- How This Alabama City Rallied Behind Oscar the Blind Dogon November 7, 2020 at 9:12 pm
In the weeks leading up to a heated presidential election, another close race played out that had dog lovers across the country faithfully voting online every 24 hours for their favorite furry friends ...
- iPhone 12 Pro lets people who are blind 'see' others around themon November 5, 2020 at 10:45 am
A new People Detection features uses lidar to alert iPhone 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max and iPad Pro users how close other people are.
- Meet the deaf and blind chef who just landed his dream job at a Marine baseon November 5, 2020 at 8:14 am
Every day in the mess hall kitchen at San Diego's Marine Corps Recruit Depot, a culinary team of nearly 30 cooks turns out more than 9,000 meals, making it the Corps' highest-volume mess hall in the ...
- iPhone 12 Pro Can Help Blind And Visually Impaired Users Safely Get Around, Thanks To This Featureon November 4, 2020 at 11:16 pm
The iPhone 12 Pro is the first smartphone to feature a LiDAR sensor which is capable of measuring distances and mapping the environment. Apple has talked about how the sensor can do wonders with depth ...
- Pathetic tales of the blindon October 30, 2020 at 2:35 pm
“As if it was not enough, one of our step sisters became blind in 2015, however, due to divine intervention; she was able to regain her sight but could only see partially. The only thing of joy ...
- Give the blind opportunities, not handouts, says man who lost his sight as a childon October 23, 2020 at 12:00 am
“My dream is to see every blind person able to comprehend messages received on their mobile phones without any help, to be able to withdraw their own money from an ATM machine with no hel ...