As the 3D printing revolution continues, prices of 3D printers have continued to fall, with devices such as the Buccaneer 3D printer set to sell for under US$400.
But even that is still too expensive for many people – students in particular. That’s why Matthew Krueger, also known asmatstermind at instructables.com, has created a 3D printer for next to nothing from everyone’s favorite childhood toy, LEGO.
Krueger has had an obsession with 3D printing since he first came upon the original Makerbot Thing-O-Matic, but as a student, he lacked the funds to purchase a 3D printer of his own. Since his education was based in engineering, Krueger started making attempts at creating his own 3D printer with limited funds and what he had on hand. After attempts with an Arduino and parallel port, 3D printing on the cheap seemed like it would remain out of reach, but then Krueger pulled out his LEGOs and started building.
What he created is the LEGObot, an NXT-powered 3D printer that is roughly based on the original Makerbot. Instead of plastic, the LEGObot currently prints with hot glue, which although a usable medium, has a rubbery consistency that leads to a lack of practical uses.
Krueger tells Gizmag, “I am currently building a machine to recycle milk bottles into filament, based off of Lyman’s designs. Once I am able to make filament, then I will try to adapt my LEGO printer to use the filament.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Rubanmaster Announces Launch of the World's First 3-in-1 SLA 3D Printer, Laser Engraver and Cutteron October 13, 2020 at 9:47 am
D printing innovators Rubanmaster have announced the launch of an exciting new device that successfully combines the high quality of SLA ...
- Prime Day WiFi Router, Printer, Keyboard & Mouse Deals 2020: Top Google WiFi, eero, Mechanical Keyboard & 3D Printer Savings Researched by Deal Tomatoon October 13, 2020 at 6:48 am
The best printer, 3D printer, keyboard, mouse & mesh WiFi router deals for Amazon Prime Day 2020, including Amazon eero, Google Wifi, NETGEAR ...
- Global 3D Concrete Printing Market (2020 to 2027) - by Printing Type, Technique and End-use Sector - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 13, 2020 at 6:40 am
The "3D Concrete Printing Market by Printing Type, Technique and End-use Sector: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2020-2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Chevy Has Raced 80,000 Miles on 3D-Printed Partson October 13, 2020 at 4:21 am
GM’s 3D-printing capability speeds up our learning cycles and, in turn, these racetrack experiences help our additive manufacturing team move one step closer to using 3D-printed parts in production ...
- Best Prime Day 3D Printer Deals You Can Get Right Nowon October 13, 2020 at 12:23 am
Prime Day is a good time to buy a 3D printer. We've rounded up the best 3D printers and the best 3D printer deals, updated for Prime Day 2020.
- Insights on 3D Printer Market within the Office Services & Supplies Sector | Increasing Demand for 3D Customized Products to Emerge as a Key Driver | Technavioon October 12, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global 3D Printer Market 2020-2024 (Graphic: Business Wire) LONDON-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--The global 3D printer market is expected to ...
- Amazon Prime Day WiFi Router, Printer, Keyboard & Mouse Deals (2020): Top Early 3D Printer, Mechanical Keyboard, Google WiFi, Eero & More PC Peripheral Deals Presented by Save ...on October 12, 2020 at 9:07 am
Amazon Prime Day 2020 researchers have shared the latest early WiFi router, printer, mouse & keyboard deals for Amazon Prime Day 2020 ...
- Software for 3D Printers Market by Technology, Application and Geography 2020 | Analysis and Forecast to 2025on October 12, 2020 at 9:06 am
IndustryAndResearchpresents the market reserach report named“Software for 3D Printers Market Future Innovation Strategies, Growth and Profit Analysis, Forecast by 2020 to 2025.T ...
- Worldwide 3D Concrete Printing Industry to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecaston October 12, 2020 at 5:14 am
The "3D Concrete Printing Market by Printing Type, Technique and End-use Sector: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry ...
- 3D Printed SCARA Arm With 3D Printer Componentson October 10, 2020 at 5:01 pm
One of the side effects of the rise of 3D printers has been the increased availability and low cost of 3D printer components, which are use fill for range of applications. [How To Mechatronics ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
3D printing on the cheap
- Studio RAP will 3D print 4,000 ceramic tiles for a new architecture projecton October 12, 2020 at 6:25 pm
In the Netherlands, the RAP studio is working on a new architectural project that will feature 4,000 3D printed ceramic tiles.
- C8.R Dominates the Racetrack with 3D Printed Partson October 12, 2020 at 10:29 am
The C8.R is proving the reliability of 3D printed parts. When will they make the jump to production cars? If you follow the Corvette racing team at all you know how well the C8.R ...
- 3D Printering: Printing Sticks For A PLA Hot Glue Gunon October 10, 2020 at 5:01 pm
I was considering ordering a 3D-printing pen to use as a small PLA spot welder when I laid eyes on my cheap desktop glue gun. A glue gun had everything I needed: good ergonomics, good tip ...
- How Cheap Can A 3D Printer Get? The Anet A8on October 7, 2020 at 5:01 pm
Cheap kit printers, with laser-cut acrylic ... amount of maintenance and tweaking — that’s just the reality of 3D printing — but at least you’ll hit the ground running.
- Cambridge researchers develop invisible fibers for health monitoringon October 5, 2020 at 5:19 am
Researchers from the University of Cambridge have announced 3D printed tiny and transparent conducting fibers that can capture exhaled breath to help diagnose medical conditions. The small ...
- 3D-printed ceramic tiles clad the gates of studio RAP's residential building block in delfton October 1, 2020 at 7:07 pm
the dutch studio is fusing 3D clay printing, computational design and ... applying variation in their shape is rather cheap,’ adds studio RAP. ‘by applying a runny glaze on white-burning ...
- Researchers Use 3D Printing Method to Make Electronic Fibers Thinner than Human Hairon October 1, 2020 at 7:47 am
Right from capturing one’s breath to directing the movements of biological cells, 3D printing of small, transparent conducting fibers could be used for making devices that can “smell, hear and ...
- These are the best cheap 3D printer deals for October 2020on September 30, 2020 at 10:21 pm
If you're looking to dive into the world of 3D printing, read on: We've got the best cheap 3D printer deals right here, along with a quick buying guide.
- 3D-printed, transparent fibers can sense breath, sounds, cell movementson September 30, 2020 at 2:45 pm
Researchers have developed a new technique for 3D-printing tiny electronic fibers, 100 times thinner than a human hair, that are capable of sensing human breath.
- ‘Invisible’ 3D printed fibres could power devices capable of sensing breath and soundon September 30, 2020 at 1:44 pm
The lightweight sensors could be integrated into devices designed to monitor our environments, the team from the University of Cambridge maintain ...