With systems like the Kinect and Leap Motion, controlling a gadget with just the wave of a hand is starting to become much more commonplace.
The one drawback to those gesture-based devices however is that you never actually touch anything. No matter what you see on the screen, you’re still very aware that you’re just moving your hands through the air. The Pittsburg branch of Disney Research may be able to change that with Aireal, a low-cost haptic system which fires out small rings of air that allow people to feel virtual objects.
The Aireal system is comprised of modules that track a set target, such as a person’s hand, and produce controlled puffs of air that can hit their mark with pinpoint accuracy. When combined with a separate gesture-controlled system, like the Kinect, these bursts of air can be timed so they reach a user’s hands at the same moment as an on-screen object would if it were real.
A small 3D depth camera tracks when a user is moving in the direction of an on-screen object, while two motors aim a nozzle in a 75-degree range to match. The air pulses are produced by five speakers, each measuring just two inches (5 cm) and arranged to face inward, forming an open cube. When the speakers are activated, the resulting force is pushed through a flexible nozzle (with grooves on the inside like a gun barrel), which forms the air into a vortex.
By using vortices of air rather than simple air jets, the device can provide a tactile sensation over longer distances and with much greater accuracy. Each module has an effective range of 1.5 m (4.9 ft). Any further and air pulse accuracy dips below 80 percent, though the force can still be felt at twice that distance. The vortices also allow Aireal to change the intensity, direction, and frequency of the pulses quickly to create a wider range of effects.
The research team has plenty of creative uses in mind for its new haptic technology. Besides allowing players to virtually feel the games they’re playing, Aireal could provide a physical sense of touch to more mundane actions, like cycling through buttons and menus on a screen.
Aside from the electronic components, each module is made of 3D-printed parts, so can be fairly inexpensive to produce. The design of the Aireal modules also allows for them to be scalable for different devices, so they could be shrunk down for use in smartphones and tablets, or enlarged to project an air vortex across a theater.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Haptics Technology Market 2020 Share, Size, Regional Trend, Top Manufacturers, Future Growth, Types and Applications, Forecast to 2025on June 26, 2020 at 2:21 am
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry” Global “Haptics Technology Market” ...
- Haptics Technology Market Advanced Technologies, Quantifying Market Opportunities & Growth Opportunities in Global Industry by 2026on June 25, 2020 at 4:56 am
Haptics technology provides an improved multi-modal experience to the user by engaging sight, sound and touch.
- 2020 Market Outlook for Haptic Technologyon June 24, 2020 at 12:15 pm
The market for haptic technology will hit $10 billion by 2026, according to Global Market Insights. The major drivers will be consumer demand in gaming and smart telecommunication devices such as ...
- Razer headsets 2020: get one of the best Razer headsets and up your game audioon June 23, 2020 at 7:35 am
With amazing clarify and bass that's enhanced by the HyperSense haptic technology, you'll get a great quality of sound and immersion. Specifically designed with single-player games in mind ...
- Cirrus Logic Launches Advanced Haptic and Sensing Technology Solutions for Richer, Immersive User Experienceson June 21, 2020 at 5:01 pm
Cirrus Logic’s haptic products and sophisticated haptic feedback technology enable sleeker, more robust end products with fewer mechanical controls for new responsive and immersive user experiences.
- Haptic Technology Market COVID 19 Outbreak Analysis With Top Vendors Immersion Corporation, Texas Instruments Incorporated, Ultrahapticson June 20, 2020 at 10:37 pm
New York City, NY: June, 2020 – Published via (Wired Release) – Haptic Technology Market report provide the COVID19 Outbreak Impact Analysis of key factors influencing the growth of the market ...
- Global Haptics Technology Market Poised to reach from USD 8.9 billion in 2014 to USD 44.5 billion by 2022on June 19, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Global Haptics Technology Market Outlook - Trends, Forecast, and Opportunity Assessment (2014-2022) The Global Haptics Technology market is estimated to be $8.9 billion in 2014 and is expected to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- KIUC awards two renewable-energy contractson June 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Barlow does not plan on importing waste. Allione said the county will run out of landfill space in four to five years, and Barlow’s patented Aireal Combustion System could help reduce that crunch.
- Dream Cruise. No Nightmare Cruiseon March 29, 2018 at 2:14 am
TV worked but you couldn't get a good picture even after the technician tried to improve the aireal buy winding red electrical tape round both ends.
- Tahoe Top 5: Reasons to check out the Truckee Yoga Collectiveon December 14, 2017 at 4:34 am
Truckee Yoga Collective offers AIReal Yoga community classes for an additional $10 for members and $20 for non-members, where traditional yoga poses and Pilates instruction are taught while ...
- Former Cirque de Soleil performer brings aerial yoga to Minturnon November 25, 2017 at 7:45 am
“It’s something I wanted to do for fun,” she said, and she became a certified AIReal yoga instructor. There are many inversions in which students literally hang upside-down in the hammoc ...
- Hennessy Elementary School honor roll, 1st trimesteron November 18, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Aireal Vogt, Noah Carter, Arturo Marmol, Hector Romo, Kaya Bowler, Matthew Duffey, Hailey Louchen, Brandi Owens Thinnes, Andrew Sone, Jerry Calderon Pinto, Joey ...
- Taste of Vail announces new Fall Food & Wine Classic for late Septemberon August 24, 2017 at 10:47 pm
This guided bike tour is in partnership with Charter Sports. Cost is $80. AiReal Yoga at Peace Love Aireal Yoga, TBD AIReal Yoga is a play on the word aerial as AIReal Yoga uses a silk hammock ...
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens in Vail summer scheduleon June 29, 2017 at 2:14 pm
The classes are $15, cash only, and registration is not required. New this year AIReal Yoga is also offered on select Saturdays throughout the summer for $40 per session — July 15 and Aug. 26 — from 9 ...
- Business Club Leadership Teamon June 17, 2017 at 12:47 am
Aireal Keefer – President Aireal is a junior from Kalamazoo, Michigan, double majoring in business and exercise science. As president of the Business Club, she oversees the planning and execution of ...
- SkyHigh Odditoriumon March 9, 2017 at 7:18 am
Creating a container of purple-blue frequency amidst the concrete jungle, the Odditorium is the swag palace for the Aireal Alchemy community. It is an aireal arts school, yoga studio, art gallery ...
- Eagle YogaFest returns with classes, workshops and more, Oct. 14-16on October 14, 2016 at 5:00 am
2 p.m. — Intro to AIReal Yoga, with Tanya Miller, Yoga Off Broadway (full) 2 p.m. — Bandhas for Blissful Backs, with Jessica Jollie, Brush Creek Studio (limited) 2:15 p.m. — Reflexology ...