Using a PIN to lock your Android phone will keep it safe from most people, but not from R2B2, a robot designed to brute-force its way through any four-digit code in less than a day.
R2B2, the Robotic Reconfigurable Button Basher, comes from Justin Engler, a senior security engineer at New York-based iSEC Partners. The robot has debuted on YouTube in advance of its appearance at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas.
Instead of using sophisticated software to crack Android PINs, R2B2 adopts the tried-and-true method of entering every possible combination until something clicks.
In hacking, this method is known as a “brute-force” attack, but R2B2 is unique in that it exhibits brute-force behavior in real life rather than digitally. The robot — four yellow manipulators that control a central appendage, resting atop two “legs” — can sit atop an Android phone and simply press buttons over and over again.
There are 10,000 possible four-digit PINs — a relatively small number, but still too many for one human to work through. R2B2, on the other hand, has no need for food, sleep or mental stimulation, and can work through every possible PIN in just 20 hours. [See also: 5 Curiously Specific Robots]
If a user enters five incorrect PINs in a row, the Android OS enforces a 30-second waiting period before the person can try again — but that is the only disincentive. This is actually the reason why R2B2 would not work on iOS devices: Apple employs an iterative system that makes a user wait increasingly longer to retry after each incorrect PIN.
You can actually create your own R2B2, if you want. The robot is the result of open-source software, a few cheap electronics and a standard MakerBot 3D printer, reports Forbes. In fact, apart from the electronic components, the entire robot was 3D-printed.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Can Drones and Robots Save the Dolphins?on July 4, 2020 at 2:16 am
Researchers are figuring out a less invasive way to study dolphin hormones—a key to understanding human impact on their health.
- Engineers 3D-print sensors onto moving organson July 2, 2020 at 1:32 am
A new technique developed by University of Minnesota researchers allows 3D printing of hydrogel-based sensors directly on the surface of organs, such as lungs—even as they expand and contract ( ...
- Toadi smashes its fundraising goal in 14 minutes flat to raise $1.3 million for lawn roboton July 1, 2020 at 12:25 am
Toadi, an AI-powered yard robot technology with object recognition and security features, has surpassed the goals of its Kickstarter campaign only 14 minutes after the launch. Being featured on ...
- Video: Stay home, let the robots 3D print the rocketson June 29, 2020 at 2:58 am
California-based startup Relativity Space is manufacturing rockets using giant Westworld-esque 3D printers, a process they say could drastically shorten the rocket-making process from years to weeks.
- Small Robot Makes Great Strides—and Jumpson June 25, 2020 at 1:06 pm
A team of researchers at New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering and the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen and Stuttgart, Germany, designed a quadruped robot called ...
- 3D-Printed SlothBot Aids Conservation Efforts in Atlantaon June 25, 2020 at 5:36 am
A new resident will be living high above the ground in the Atlanta Botanical Garden for the next few months, and while it may resemble an animal, it’s actually ...
- Next-generation cockroach-inspired robot is small but mightyon June 24, 2020 at 3:27 pm
JR, the researchers simply shrunk the 2D sheet design of the robot — along with the actuators and onboard circuitry — to recreate a smaller robot with all the same functionalities. “The wonderful part ...
- Tracked Robot Makes Sand Drawingson June 24, 2020 at 11:25 am
Ivan] seems to enjoy making 3D printed vehicles with tracks. His latest one uses 50 servo motors to draw patterns in the sand at the beach. You can see it work in the video below. Well, more ...
- How Robots Are Changing On-Site Constructionon June 23, 2020 at 5:42 am
The introduction of construction robotics may prove to be a tipping point for this industry. How are robots changing on-site construction today, and where can we expect to see them in the future?
- Video: How to build a 3D-printed, Arduino-powered biped roboton June 23, 2020 at 5:36 am
A maker has developed a way to use the programmable board Arduino to build a walking biped robot that is 3D printed with legs that feature three servos that actuate at the hip, knee and ankle for six ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- State Senate bill provides $10M for rural cellphone service improvementson July 5, 2020 at 7:51 am
Poor cell phone reception results in serious safety concerns, reduced economic development and opportunity, and contributes to population decline.
- Outlook on the Worldwide Mobile Security Software Industry to 2024 - Key Drivers, Challenges and Trendson July 3, 2020 at 5:38 pm
The "Global Mobile Security Software Market 2020-2024" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The mobile.
- Terranova Security Releases Enhanced Mobile Responsive Version of Security Awareness Training Libraryon July 2, 2020 at 5:25 am
Today Terranova Security, a global leader in security awareness training, announced mobile responsive security awareness training content enhancements for its platform. This release allows ...
- Mobile Security Market Insight & Future Assessment for the Period 2020 - 2029on July 2, 2020 at 4:33 am
The research study on Global Mobile Security market 2019 presents an extensive analysis of current Mobile Security ...
- Global Cyber Security Market 2020-2024 | Increase in Use of Mobile Devices to Boost Market Growth | Technavioon July 1, 2020 at 6:56 pm
The global cyber security market size is expected to grow by USD 138.32 billion during 2020-2024. The report also provides the market impact and new opportunities created due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- DHS, NSA Conclude Pilot of Automated Mobile App Security Vetting Toolon June 30, 2020 at 1:58 pm
While the program still has a ways to go, the team says it now has a way to automate mobile app security testing.
- Corrata Announces Mobile Endpoint Integration with Microsoft Cloud App Securityon June 30, 2020 at 4:46 am
PRNewswire/ -- Corrata, an award-winning mobile endpoint security company, today announced availability of the first mobile endpoint integration ...
- Protecting Mobile Users: Why Wi-Fi 6 Offers Robust Security and Enhanced Usabilityon June 30, 2020 at 1:30 am
Fi 6 features major security enhancements that have eliminated some of the weaknesses of older wi-fi technology ...
- F5 Fortifies Partnership with Rakuten Mobile to Provide Advanced Application Security Services for the Rakuten Communications Platformon June 29, 2020 at 6:00 pm
F5 Networks (NASDAQ: FFIV) today announced that it has signed an agreement with Rakuten Mobile, Inc. (Rakuten Mobile) to provide an extensive suite ...
- India Bans 59 Mostly Chinese Mobile Apps Including TikTok Due To Security And Privacy Concernson June 29, 2020 at 2:17 pm
The decision comes after more than 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a recent border skirmish with Chinese forces in the Himalayan mountains.