Research by Indiana University environmental scientists shows that air-pollution-removal technology used in “self-cleaning” paints and building surfaces may actually cause more problems than they solve.
The study finds that titanium dioxide coatings, seen as promising for their role in breaking down airborne pollutants on contact, are likely in real-world conditions to convert abundant ammonia to nitrogen oxide, the key precursor of harmful ozone pollution.
“As air quality standards become more stringent, people are going to be thinking about other technologies that can reduce pollution,” said Jonathan D. Raff, assistant professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IU Bloomington and an author of the study. “Our research suggests that this may not be one of them.”
“Photooxidation of Ammonia on TiO2 as a Source of NO and NO2 under Atmospheric Conditions” is being published by the Journal of the American Chemical Society and is available online. Other authors include SPEA doctoral students Mulu Kebede and Nicole Scharko, Mychel Varner of the University of California-Irvine and R. Benny Gerber of UC-Irvine and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
The researchers calculate that, in areas where the titanium dioxide technology is used, ammonia degradation could account for up to 13 percent of the nitrogen oxides in the immediate vicinity. This suggests that widespread use of the technology could contribute significantly to ozone formation.
The findings are timely because the Environmental Protection Agency is developing stricter regulations for ground-level ozone, a primary component in photochemical smog. The pollution is linked to serious health problems, including breathing difficulties and heart and lung disease.
Ozone is produced by reactions involving nitrogen oxides (NOx), which come primarily from motor vehicle emissions, and volatile organic compounds resulting from industrial processes. Equipping cars with catalytic converters has been effective at reducing ozone in urban areas. But different technologies may be needed to meet tighter air-quality standards of the future.
The need has sparked interest in titanium dioxide, a common mineral that is used as a whitening agent in paints and surface coatings. The compound acts as a photocatalyst, breaking down nitrogen oxides, ammonia and other pollutants in the presence of sunlight. “Self-cleaning” surfaces coated with titanium dioxide can break down chemical grime that will otherwise adhere to urban buildings. News stories have celebrated “smog-eating” tiles and concrete surfaces coated with the compound.
But Raff and his colleagues show that, in normal environmental conditions, titanium dioxide also catalyzes the incomplete breakdown of ammonia into nitrogen oxides. Ammonia is an abundant constituent in motor vehicle emissions, and its conversion to nitrogen oxides could result in increases in harmful ozone concentrations.
“We show that uptake of atmospheric NH3 (ammonia) onto surfaces containing TiO2 (titanium dioxide) is not a permanent removal process, as previously thought, but rather a photochemical route for generating reactive oxides of nitrogen that play a role in air pollution and are associated with significant health effects,” the authors write.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Remembering Modern Maidon November 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Along the way, some of the paint had flaked off the chrome trim ... a product launch by Modern Maid of the industry’s first self-cleaning gas unit. At a speech at the Hotel Patten to Rotarians ...
- 7 things to do to ease the maintenance of your newly-renovated abodeon November 15, 2020 at 9:33 pm
As most seasoned first time homeowners would tell you, keeping a new abode fresh and pristine clean is not going to be an easy affair.However, you can achieve that by doing the right thing, that is to ...
- Clay could stop corrosion in its trackson November 1, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The new pigment absorbs chloride and releases cerium to form a protective film over cracks in the paint. Cerium is also an ingredient of coatings inside self-cleaning ovens. However, ordinarily ...
- Self-cleaning Coating Market Overall Study Report with Top Key Playerson October 30, 2020 at 6:31 pm
Self-cleaning coating is a type of nanocoating. Its most important quality is that it is completely transparent. This aspect of the coating makes surfaces dry, clean, and stain resitant.
- Tired of Scooping Up Litter? Gift Your Cat (and Yourself) a Self-Cleaning Litter Boxon October 30, 2020 at 5:15 am
If that's the case for you, consider a self-cleaning litter box! Since so many exist, you can easily find one that fits your cat's needs, whether they prefers privacy or an enclosed space.
- Offshore Oil & Gas Paints and Coatings Market Size Forecast to Reach $712.67 Million by 2025on October 19, 2020 at 3:31 am
among others. In August 2016, Kansai Paint Co. Ltd. confirmed in a statement that its Kansai Paint Middle East (KPME) division and subsidiary Kansai Paint Saudi Ltd. (KP Saudi) acquired the stock ...
- News by Subject Technology & Engineeringon October 13, 2020 at 4:59 pm
Controlling a swarm of robots to paint a picture sounds like a difficult task. However, a new technique allows an artist to do just that, without worrying about providing instructions for each robot.
- American Standard Walk-in Bathson October 7, 2020 at 5:01 pm
specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that aid the unit is running efficiently and cleanly. In addition to massage jets, combo tubs users can also ...
- Self-cleaning mask kills virus, say scientistson June 17, 2020 at 1:22 am
Self-cleaning mask kills virus, say scientists Posted Israeli researchers say they have invented a reusable face mask that can disinfect itself and kill viruses using an internal heat source.
- Filter Specialists, Incorporatedon December 23, 2019 at 3:04 pm
With minimal effect on paint shop operation, the FERRX 5000, a fully programmable, automated and self-cleaning device, dramatically increases first-time-through ferrous contaminant removal capability.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Global Rutile Titanium Dioxide Market 2020 Emerging Trends, New Investments Policy, and Development Analysis By 2026on November 23, 2020 at 9:32 pm
The Global Rutile Titanium Dioxide Market report is made up of the best advice concern of the market during COVID-19 Worldwide spread.” The comprehensive report on Rutile Titanium Dioxide Market can ...
- From lab to industry? Ideally ordered porous titania films, made at scaleon November 23, 2020 at 7:32 am
Researchers from Tokyo Metropolitan University have realized high-throughput production of thin, ordered through-hole membranes of titanium dioxide. Titania layers were grown using anodization on mask ...
- Global Titanium Dioxide Market to 2030: Opportunities in the Adoption of 3D-Printed Titanium Dioxide Foam in Spaceon November 23, 2020 at 5:30 am
By Process (Sulphate, Chloride), Application (Paints & Coatings, Plastics, Paper, Inks) - Global Industry Analysis and Demand Forecast to 2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Mineral Cosmetics Market Size Worth $4.3 Billion By 2025 | CAGR 5.3% | Grand View Research, Inc.on November 21, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Market Research And Consulting.” According to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., The global mineral cosmetics ...
- Titanium Dioxide Market in North America to showcase significant growth over 2020-2026on November 19, 2020 at 11:43 pm
Global Market Insights, Inc :Titanium Dioxide Market in North America has observed a significant rise in construction activities and investments over recent years. These development have led to strong ...
- Titanium Dioxide Market 2020-2024: Post-Pandemic Industry Planning Structure| Technavioon November 6, 2020 at 12:31 pm
The titanium dioxide market is expected to grow by 1194.22 thousand tons during 2020-2024, according to Technavio. The report offers a detailed analysis of the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the ...
- Titanium Dioxide Market 2020-2024: Post-Pandemic Industry Planning Structure| Technavioon November 6, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Tax Planning Personal Finance Save for College Save for Retirement Invest in Retirement Research Mutual Funds Stocks ETFs Bonds Best Investments ...
- Titanium Dioxide Market 2020-2024: Post-Pandemic Industry Planning Structure| Technavioon November 6, 2020 at 11:34 am
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The titanium dioxide market is expected to grow by 1194.22 thousand tons during 2020-2024, according to Technavio. The report offers a detailed analysis of the impact of ...
- Titanium Dioxide Market 2020-2024: Post-Pandemic Industry Planning Structure| Technavioon November 6, 2020 at 11:01 am
d., Evonik Industries AG, and Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha Ltd. will emerge as participants during 2020-2024. The titanium dioxide market is expected to grow by 1194.22 thousand tons during 2020-2024, ...
- Titanium dioxide Market Research Report: By Process, Application - Global Industry Analysis and Demand Forecast to 2030on November 4, 2020 at 9:02 am
The global titanium dioxide market generated a revenue of $15,020.1 million in 2019, as per the findings of P&S Intelligence, a market research firm based in India. Furthermore, the market is ...