Founders of successful companies tend to exhibit personality traits that make them more socially engaging, creative and able to handle stress than non-entrepreneurs, according to new research from the University of Jena in Germany and The University of Texas at Austin.
Jena researchers Martin Obschonka, Eva Schmitt-Rodermund and Rainer K. Silbereisen, along with UT Austin Professor of Psychology Samuel Gosling, mapped the entrepreneurial personality structures in the United States, Great Britain and Germany, identifying regions where a feeling of entrepreneurial spirit is “most at home.” The research will be published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
The team analyzed the personalities of more than 500,000 U.S. citizens, in addition to approximately 20,000 German and 15,000 British citizens. The psychologists correlated their findings with economic data derived from various regions within each country.
In the U.S., entrepreneurial spirit — associated with personality characteristics such as being socially engaging, responsible, creative, able to handle stress, and at times uncompromising — was high in western states such as Colorado and Utah, and low in Rust Belt states such as Michigan and in Deep South states such as Mississippi. Researchers found substantial correlations between the geographic distribution of the entrepreneurial personality structure and the regional distribution of actual entrepreneurial activity, such as the number of startup businesses in a region.
The psychologists found similar results in Germany and Great Britain. Although there are no firm conclusions regarding the causes of these regional differences, one possible explanation might be found in the socialization processes within the regions, where prevalent “entrepreneurial values” are conveyed through parenting or social institutions.
The Latest Bing News on:
- 'It’s an addictive feeling': For this Orangeville entrepreneur, passion comes from women supporting womenon November 19, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Empowering women has been a major driving force in Stacey Tarrant’s career. After a 10-year career at Family Transition Place (FTP) as manager of development and community relations, it would have ...
- Bitcoin, Blockchain Entrepreneur Malcolm CasSelle Passeson November 19, 2020 at 2:14 pm
CasSelle, who led several blockchain-based projects and invested in multiple Bitcoin ventures, has passed away at age 50.
- New "Healthcare Workers Rock!" Song and Music Video Captures Spirit of Frontline Healthcare Workerson November 19, 2020 at 10:51 am
PRNewswire/ -- As COVID-19 cases rise exponentially, entrepreneur, philanthropist, songwriter and executive producer Ken Freirich today released a remix ...
- Week of Women: Fourth-generation entrepreneur's business 'Kido' inspired by sonon November 17, 2020 at 4:34 pm
A Chicago mom noticed something was missing from the market soon after son was born. Keewa Nurullah is the founder and owner of Kido, a children's clothing company. "I started Kido after having my son ...
- The Young Entrepreneur Connecting Teens With Valuable Nonprofit Experienceon November 17, 2020 at 3:30 pm
After struggling to find an internship opportunity herself, high school student and entrepreneur Ellie Zimmerman created a virtual space for nonprofits and teen changemakers to meet.
- Kendra Scott Women's Entrepreneurial Leadership Institute Hosts First Annual Women's Summit at The University of Texas at Austinon November 17, 2020 at 10:12 am
Today, the Kendra Scott Women's Entrepreneurial Leadership Institute (WEL Institute) and The University of Texas at Austin hosted their first annual Women's Summit. This powerful virtual event follows ...
- Portsmouth beats London on list of UK's most entrepreneurial citieson November 17, 2020 at 8:58 am
When comparing population to business ratio, the number of new businesses launched in Portsmouth increased by 33% this year.
- COD Entrepreneurs Present 'Big Idea' Contest Nov. 18on November 16, 2020 at 3:47 pm
One of your neighbors posted in Schools. Click through to read what they have to say. (The views expressed in this post are the author’s own.) ...
- Budding entrepreneurs present business concepts at College of DuPage's 'Big IDea' virtual pitch contest Nov. 18on November 16, 2020 at 2:07 pm
College of DuPage students, recent alumni and local district high school students will compete for a top prize of $4,500 during COD's fourth annual "Big IDea" Pitch Contest on Wednesday, Nov. 18.
- Patricia Garcia: A Spirit of Determination Sparks Affordable University Apparelon November 16, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Today it is my pleasure to be talking to Patricia Garcia, founder of “college thrifts”. Spiffy: Patricia, I’m excited to hear about your venture! It’s quite new and you have some big dreams for it.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Entrepreneurial Spirit Map
- Welsh Entrepreneur Rated as One of the UK’s Top Mumpreneurson November 18, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Sarah John, 33, from Swansea recently entered the annual NatWest Everywoman Awards in the Aphrodite category and has received a special mention ...
- 6 lessons for turning challenges into entrepreneurial opportunitieson November 17, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Download Full Image Coleman, a serial entrepreneur with more than 20 years of experience ... Into Opportunities in Times of Transition” on Nov. 3 at the 24th annual Spirit of Enterprise Award event in ...
- Kendra Scott Women's Entrepreneurial Leadership Institute Hosts First Annual Women's Summit at The University of Texas at Austinon November 17, 2020 at 10:01 am
As UT Austin President Jay Hartzell said in the WEL Institute's Summer 2020 Impact Report, "Entrepreneurship — and the entrepreneurial spirit — are key components of our local, state and ...
- Former slave followed his life’s path to politics and wealthon November 16, 2020 at 3:01 am
His relentless entrepreneurial spirit lives on in the lives of those he inspired. This article is among features at ExplorePineBluff.com , a program of the Pine Bluff Advertising and Promotion ...
- The Little Poconos Town That Accidentally Got Coolon November 14, 2020 at 6:08 pm
The entrepreneurial spirit is still alive and well ... and a health-care staffing brokerage already have.) It’s a road map for what could happen in other rural towns in the state, so forward ...
- Emirates or bust - Israeli entrepreneurs spend productive week in Dubaion November 13, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Drayman, a partner in Erel Margalit’s Jerusalem Venture Partners (JVP) venture capital fund, and Ben-Hamozeg, an Israeli foodtech entrepreneur ... happy spirit. A secret romance brewing for ...
- The 2020 Growth Awards Winnerson November 12, 2020 at 9:15 am
Canadian Business has highlighted the entrepreneurial leaders of Canada through the the Growth List—a ranking of established businesses on ...
- Virginia's Center for Innovative Technology (CIT) Announces Vice President for Entrepreneurial Ecosystemson November 11, 2020 at 11:10 am
“Virginia’s entrepreneurial spirit is strong, and CIT is committed to working with entrepreneurial ecosystem stakeholders around the Commonwealth to strengthen the pipeline of high-growth ...
- Võru, Russia's Pskov launch creative enterprise cooperation projecton November 9, 2020 at 2:38 am
The southeastern Estonian county town Võru and the Russian regional capital Pskov on Thursday kicked off an international project in creative industry called "BestNest," which aims to improve the ...
- What could young women accomplish if they got leadership training sooner?on November 6, 2020 at 6:44 pm
So, given their entrepreneurial spirit, it’s hardly surprising that ... used the sessions to help map out a plan for a summer camp for the young children in her bubble. (A win-win, she thought ...