A team of Chinese scientists evaluates the impact of a website based on the interaction between its users with the entire Web
A new study shows that small websites, in terms of daily user flux based on number of clicks, have a disproportionally high impact when it comes to traffic generation and influence compared to larger websites. These findings, about to be published in EPJ B, have implications for estimating the value of sites and related advertising revenue. They result from the work of Lingfei Wu from the City University of Hong Kong and Jiang Zhang from the School of Management, at Beijing Normal University, China.
Previous studies have analysed hyperlinks, while individual browsing records provide insight for understanding local surfing behaviour. However, they fail to provide information on more internet-wide collective browsing behaviour. Hence, to understand the complex interactions between websites, it is necessary to analyse the transportation of traffic, referred to as the flow of clickstreams between websites.
In this study, the authors analyse the clickstream networks composed of the 1,000 most popular websites. They rely on models of clickstream networks based on so-called Markov matrices. They then validate their findings through network flow analysis, tracking users’ movement.
Wu and Zhang found that the accessibility of websites in the clickstream network increases more slowly than the level of traffic for the sites studied. Unlike previously thought, this study based on clickstreams reveals that the web is not solely dominated by a few hubs. And relatively small sites have a greater chance of acquiring popularity than larger ones.
The Latest Bing News on:
Predicting collective online behaviour
- Hitachi develops ‘ConSite Mine’ to monitor and extend mining equipment lifeon October 12, 2020 at 3:14 am
Hitachi Construction Machinery (HCM) and its consolidated subsidiary, Wenco International Mining Systems, have jointly developed “ConSite® Mine”, a new technology platform that helps resolve problems ...
- Today’s Premium Storieson September 29, 2020 at 1:47 pm
“We can’t predict people’s behavior,” she says ... strong sense of identity and a spirit that we’re here for the collective good, so people have been sticking to the program, wearing ...
- How AI will revolutionize manufacturingon September 29, 2020 at 11:38 am
“We have one application where the program watches the user and tries to predict the command the ... with production help from Collective Next. This podcast episode was produced in partnership ...
- How Money Laundering Concerns Require New AI Monitoring Solutionson September 27, 2020 at 1:43 pm
In addition to account surveillance, transaction monitoring AML software solutions are also capable of analysing a customer’s profile and historical information, which is then used to predict their ...
- A Web Of Trees And Their 'Hidden' Liveson September 22, 2020 at 7:58 pm
I've asked book sellers and I've searched online. (If any of you know ... hypothesis" is useful when trying to predict or makes sense of human behavior whereas it isn't in the case of the thermostat.
- 3 Ways to Solve the ‘Social Dilemma’ That Netflix Doc Is Warning Us About | PRO Insighton September 18, 2020 at 6:55 am
To them, and even to us watching, the importance and dependence they place on their online interactions ... is your future behavior. This gives them a stake in both predicting and manipulating ...
- Visualising the history of Russia and China’s mutual influenceon September 14, 2020 at 12:01 am
Throughout September, BJP-online is sharing their profiles ... Now, China is the largest consumer of Russia’s energy exports, and analysts predict that by 2025 it will be the world’s biggest economy. ...
- From viral conspiracies to exam fiascos, algorithms come with serious side effectson September 6, 2020 at 1:00 am
The only mutation was in the behaviour of the humans affected by ... is used to allocate policing resources on the ground and to predict how likely an individual is to commit or be a victim ...
- Trump’s foul-weather gearon August 17, 2020 at 6:37 pm
Is the next segment going to predict that because most Coronavirus ... of our species require at least periods of cooperative behavior? Is there no inherent self-corrective instinct that will ...
- As trucking evolves, the pneumatic tire will likely play the same role it always hason August 4, 2020 at 7:58 am
The online tire guide uses the type of vehicle, driver behavior, location and road conditions ... Discount Tire stated it is able to more accurately predict how changes will impact the tires.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Predicting collective online behaviour
The Latest Bing News on:
- Idaho coronavirus cases rise, doctors urge careful behavioron October 13, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Idaho health care experts say coronavirus is increasing as kids are returning to school — but most of the new infections aren't happening in school buildings.
- Our View: It's time to demand respectable behavior from our elected officialson October 10, 2020 at 10:00 pm
It's been a week of bad behavior across Beaver County. Thursday morning, Times reporter Daveen Rae Kurutz and a freelance photographer were refused access to attend an outdoor event hosted by ...
- Survey: 70% of teens hide online behavior from parentson October 8, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Seventy percent of teens “hide their online behavior” from parents, according to the report, which was released Monday. That’s up from 45% in 2010, the group says. These hidden behaviors ...
- Vice presidential debate features fiery exchanges but civil behavioron October 8, 2020 at 8:54 am
SALT LAKE CITY – Vice President Mike Pence struggled to get the Trump campaign back on track Wednesday in a heated but disciplined debate with Sen. Kamala Harris that contrasted sharply with the ...
- Opinion/Letter: Stop the reckless behavior of the toddler in chiefon October 7, 2020 at 3:39 pm
Why doesn’t anyone stop this reckless behavior? I hold the Senate and congress responsible, and his administration, who apparently have no control over the toddler in chief. Outrageous!
- Are online grocery stores being designed to support consumer nutrition information needs?on October 6, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Philadelphia, October 7, 2020 - With a steady growth in online grocery shopping, a new study in the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, published by Elsevier, examines the availability of ...
- Carole Baskin's behavior 'strange' after her first husband vanishedon October 6, 2020 at 12:25 pm
In an exclusive interview with DailyMailTV, the judge described Baskin's behavior as very 'matter ... facts' wrong and referred us to a lengthy online rebuttal she has posted on her Big Cat ...
- Letters: Reckless COVID-19 behavior is disrespectful; Vote for your life on climate changeon October 5, 2020 at 11:52 am
That behavior is disrespectful, even dangerous and defeats the goal of those attempting to shorten the shutdown. No one's First Amendment rights grant permission to purposely endanger others.
- If the president is engaging in risky behavior during the COVID-19 pandemic, can the Secret Service – or anyone – stop him?on October 4, 2020 at 1:56 pm
Patricia Beckford Acheson can empathize with the Secret Service detail protecting President Donald Trump. Acheson was among the first women assigned to the agency's permanent protection detail ...
- Online crib sheets aid parents in dealing with children’s depression, anxiety, other issueson October 3, 2020 at 6:37 am
The online fact sheets are the work of the American ... The fact sheets are quick reads and give lists of symptoms and behavior changes. Most contain links to other, more in-depth resources ...