You may not be able to control the privacy of your electronic data. But keeping yourself off security cameras? There’s an app for that.
Given the recent NSA revelations, there may not be anything you can do about the government monitoring certain private data (other than abandoning services like Gmail or Skype). But what about the security cameras watching you in cities like New York or London? A new crowdsourcing mapping app called Surv gives city dwellers a way to prepare themselves for that kind of privacy infringement by mapping where those cameras are and what they’re used for.
Currently in private beta-mode for New York (and raising money for a wider release on Kickstarter), the app encourages users to post the locations of security cameras around their cities, along with a description of the camera– whether it’s a traffic camera or a police camera, a dome camera or a shielded one. “We have human eyes on every location that comes in,” claims Surv co-foudner Kaza Razat. “One of the reason why we’re still in private beta is that’s a very time consuming thing. We’re working on methods to make that easier.”
Razat has developed games in the past, and Surv won’t be without some aspects of gamification, including a leaderboard showing which users have plotted the most cameras and where. “If you map 10 locations, you unlock an invite which then allows you to recruit someone new into the crowd,” Razat explains. The idea is to keep the community of users slightly exclusive and self-selecting at first, so that the technology doesn’t get into the hands of trolling types who might create fake postings.
The Latest Bing News on:
Security camera surveillance
- Surveillance Video May Show Person Responsible For Wabash Avenue Fireon November 14, 2020 at 1:08 am
A man captured on camera, seconds before fire destroys a jewelry store. CBS 2 has an exclusive look at video that could show a fire bug. It doesn’t take long at all for smoke to fill this hallway of a ...
- Strictly’s Max George installs surveillance camera at dance studio to put girlfriend Stacey Giggs at easeon November 13, 2020 at 1:28 pm
STRICTLY hunk Max George isn’t worried about falling foul of the show’s infamous curse – because he has his girlfriend watching him night and day. The former singer with boyband The Wanted, ...
- Ring doorbell security cameras recalled after some catch fireon November 11, 2020 at 4:28 am
Amazon-subsidiary Ring is recalling hundreds of thousands of video doorbells after receiving reports of them catching fire. The potential fire hazard impacts around 350,000 2nd generation Ring ...
- Jets Union Rep Says Players Aren't Bothered by Locker Room Security Camerason November 10, 2020 at 4:53 pm
The concerns stemmed from whether the NFL could use footage to punish them if they're caught not wearing masks in the locker room.
- Police are tapping into residents' Ring doorbells and home security cameras to stream 24/7 live videoon November 10, 2020 at 1:07 pm
Amazon distanced itself from the practice, saying that Ring "is not working with any of the companies" making the tech that police are using.
- Report: Jets players complain to NFLPA after learning of surveillance cameras in locker roomon November 7, 2020 at 3:25 pm
The NFLPA is investigating a complaint from New York Jets players after some of them learned of surveillance cameras in the team’s locker room at their New Jersey practice facility, according to ESPN.
- Report: NFLPA Investigating Complaint About Security Cameras in New York Jets Locker Roomon November 7, 2020 at 1:56 pm
Several New York Jets players reportedly say they didn't know about the locker room security cameras, but the team and league say otherwise.
- Amazon disavows Mississippi police program that plans to use Ring cameras for real-time surveillanceon November 6, 2020 at 9:23 pm
Amazon is distancing itself from a pilot program launched by police in Jackson, Miss., that will use residents' doorbell cameras to monitor potential crime scenes. "This is not a Ring program and ...
- Police could access your security camera feed, unless you take this stepon November 6, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Police in Jackson, Mississippi, will have access to live video feeds from Ring and other video doorbells when a crime happens in the area.
- Would You Give Police Direct Access to Your Security Cameras?on November 5, 2020 at 10:27 am
As part of a 45-day crime-fighting pilot program, police in Jackson, Mississippi, are asking residents and businesses to connect their security cameras to a real-time surveillance center.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Security camera surveillance
The Latest Bing News on:
Security camera map
- INTERACTIVE MAP: Where can I drop off my absentee ballot in metro Atlanta?on November 3, 2020 at 10:30 am
With the use of absentee ballots on the rise this year, many counties are offering drop boxes for contactless delivery of your ballot after you’ve finished filling it out.
- Global $3.4 Billion Aerial Imaging Market to 2025 - Key Players Profiled are Google, Kucera Int'l, Near Map, Eagleview Technologies, Fugro, NRC Groupon November 2, 2020 at 6:00 am
PRNewswire/ -- The "Global Aerial Imaging Market 2020-2025 by End-user, Type of Application, Geography, Impact of COVID-19, Ansoff's Analysis" report has ...
- IP Dome cameras Comparison: Vicon, Avigilon (4)on November 1, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Committed to excellence in customer service, Arden Fair has taken the industry lead by developing an advanced, cutting-edge security programme that is anchored by the Avigilon HD Surveillance System ...
- Brandon police's security camera data made available in privacy breachon October 27, 2020 at 10:14 am
The city noted police keep a database of business and private residence security cameras in order to help ... the only person who accessed the map information was the person who brought it to ...
- Brandon police database of locations, owners of private security cameras accidentally made publicon October 27, 2020 at 9:52 am
Security camera footage from homes ... only the individual who brought it to the city's attention accessed the map information, the city said.
- West Hartford PD looking to create video sharing map using residents’ home security cameras to help when crime ariseson October 23, 2020 at 4:48 pm
The department is trying to use residents’ home security cameras to map out cameras in the town. This way, if a crime occurs, officers can pinpoint who may have video. “We are really trying to ...
- Blue by ADT Home Security Systemon October 23, 2020 at 8:59 am
The Blue by ADT security system uses the same mobile app for Android and iOS devices as its security cameras ... of the screen to see a Crime Watch map that shows recently reported thefts ...
- iOS 14 Review: Complete Visual Overhaul With Improved User Privacyon October 23, 2020 at 7:04 am
The most important security feature on iOS 14 is that it now ... It shows a yellow dot if the microphone is being used and a green dot if the camera hardware is being used. This works even on ...
- Google Nest Hub review: A refreshing take on the smart displayon October 21, 2020 at 11:01 pm
With that camera, it can even act as a security watchdog while you’re away ... Google Calendar, Google Maps, and other Google platforms, integration with what we’re already using is seamless.
- Among Us maps: vent locations, emergencies, and visual taskson October 19, 2020 at 9:02 am
Even for experienced Amongers (that’s not what they’re called) who already know these basics, it’s also important to know which parts of the map the security cameras can see, and where the ...