Research could guide business and political decisions as well as charity work
A business may build a better reputation as a good corporate citizen by donating $100,000 to ten charities, as opposed to $1 million to one charity, suggested University of Missouri anthropologist Shane Macfarlan. Contrary to earlier assumptions in theoretical biology, Macfarlan’s research found that helping a greater number of people builds a positive reputation more than helping a few people many times. The results of this research can offer guidance to businesses and politicians on how to improve their public images.
“Good reputations are good business. For example, buyers tend to purchase from merchants with numerous positive ratings on internet-based commerce websites, such as Amazon and eBay,” said Shane Macfarlan, post-doctoral anthropology researcher in MU’s College of Arts and Science. “Beyond the realm of commerce, the power of a positive reputation may have influenced the evolution of language and cooperation in our species. In our study, we found that an individual’s reputation improves more after helping a greater number of people compared to performing a greater number of helpful acts for fewer people.”
For example, a politician hoping for reelection may wish to back legislation that benefits many people, as opposed to giving tremendous help to a smaller group, noted Macfarlan. Political scientists recently contacted Macfarlan about applying his findings to public figures and their attempts to build positive reputations.
In his research, Macfarlan studied the work habits and reputations of men in a remote village on the Caribbean island of Dominica. The isolation of the village reduced outside influences on reputation and allowed the study to focus solely on the effects of specific behaviors on social standing.
On the island of Dominica, the men were all involved in the production of bay oil, a tree leaf extract used to make cosmetics by companies such as Burt’s Bees. Bay oil production is labor intensive, so village men require assistance from each other. Macfarlan identified why some men attracted both many volunteer helpers and the respect of their peers, while other men had few helpers and little regard in the community.
“Helping numerous other men led to individuals achieving higher regard among their peers,” Macfarlan said. “However, other men, who helped a smaller number of people, would end up with a worse reputation, although both men performed a similar total number of helping acts. Moreover, men with the best reputations received a greater amount of assistance from a greater number of people when they needed it most, whether it was in agricultural production or assistance after disasters, such as hurricanes.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Helping Many People Boosts Social Standing
- PA loosens rent relief rules; Eagles to have fans in standson October 13, 2020 at 11:55 am
Pennsylvania is extending the application deadline and changing the rules of a key rent and mortgage relief program in an effort to boost participation by landlords ...
- Blockchain Bites: G20’s CBDC Rules, Ethereum 2.0’s Tests, Blockchain’s $1.7T Booston October 13, 2020 at 11:28 am
CoinDesk is preparing for theÃÂ invest: ethereum economyÃÂ virtual event on Oct. 14 with a special series of newsletters focused on EthereumÃ¢ÂÂs past, present and future.ÃÂ Every day until the ...
- Studies find even minimal physical activity measurably boosts healthon October 13, 2020 at 10:02 am
More than 5 million people around the world die from causes associated with a lack of physical activity. Two research teams at UC San Diego School of Medicine sought to understand sedentary lifestyles ...
- How Gratitude Can Help With Students’ Anxietyon October 13, 2020 at 8:52 am
In a study published in The Journal of Positive Psychology, Giacomo Bono and his colleagues found that when high schoolers are taught about gratitude and given opportunities to practice it, they show ...
- Reopen borders and build faster to boost jobs: businesson October 13, 2020 at 5:43 am
More jobs will be lost unless infrastructure projects get going and travel restrictions are eased, leaders will tell AFR's National Infrastructure Summit.
- 14 Customer-Centric Ways To Boost Sales In A Turbulent Economyon October 13, 2020 at 5:23 am
When consumers are being cautious about their spending, businesses face more hurdles along the sales journey. Here, members of Forbes Coaches Council share 14 effective ways to keep sales strong and ...
- Surfboard Market | Increasing Popularity of Adaptive Surfing to Boost the Market Growth | Technavioon October 12, 2020 at 6:15 am
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Surfboard Market 2020-2024 (Graphic: Business Wire) Adaptive surfing has gained popularity among disabled people as it helps in ...
- Old learning concept can help students without resources learn online amid the pandemicon October 12, 2020 at 3:11 am
Learning pods offered an opportunity for students to come in and be able to connect with adults in the buildings, connect with other students,” said Stephanie Taylor, Hillcrest’s principal. “That ...
- JPMorgan pledges $30 billion to boost diversity, Black, Latino home ownership, bankingon October 7, 2020 at 9:07 pm
JPMorgan Chase (JPM) on Thursday announced a five-year, $30 billion initiative to tackle racial inequality within Black and Hispanic communities. The broad initiative seeks to bolster homeownership, ...
- New tools can help boost wellbeing and soothe unexpected stresses of working from homeon September 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Collectively, they’re teaching mindfulness, researching productivity and learning surprising insights, like the fact that many people’s pre-pandemic, traffic-clogged commutes were actually beneficial.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Helping Many People Boosts Social Standing
The Latest Bing News on:
Boosting corporate online reputation
- Where To Hire The Best Remote Writers To Maximize Your Business' Potentialon October 9, 2020 at 2:55 am
If your business relies on its online reputation, you know how important credibility is to your business' success. There is a strong correlation between a business' online presence and its success. Hi ...
- Wizard Digital Marketing Announces New Partnerships to Offer ADA Compliance and Online Reputation Managementon September 30, 2020 at 10:45 am
Leading Digital Marketing Agency partners with local technology companies to offer their clients website ADA compliance and online review generation. FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.
- Post-COVID-19 strategy to restore your social media reputationon September 30, 2020 at 12:54 am
Activities of brands on social media have changed a lot because of COVID-19. Strategies to get back on track and restore your social media reputation.
- Dish Network hires new head of Boost Mobile phone brandon September 22, 2020 at 5:22 am
Boost aims to expand its digital operations to sell more of its phone plans online, Stokols said. Currently, Boost primarily sells plans at its large number of stores across the country.
- Improving reputation, boosting efficiency, and making employees happier with RPA (VB Live)on September 21, 2020 at 2:02 pm
improves their reputation, and has even helped them achieve additional business as a result. On the accounting side, they’ve automated their file archiving, in which they save financial ...
- How to Boost the Online Coverage of Your PR Campaignon September 21, 2020 at 9:16 am
In digital marketing, PR primarily means generating of links, boosting brand recognition, and managing a brand’s online reputation ... perceive you as a reliable business.
- Boost conversion rates with these five email marketing automation strategieson September 20, 2020 at 7:06 am
Various platforms are existing to help these businesses maximize the online world ... To strengthen a business’ potential and boost conversion with email automation, here are five email ...
- How to Choose a Reputation Management Serviceon September 17, 2020 at 7:10 am
Product and service reviews are conducted independently by our editorial team, but we sometimes make money when you click on links. Learn more. Effectively managing your company's online ...
- Happiness Biotech Launched "Happy Buy", Dedicated to Boost its E-Commerce Businesson September 9, 2020 at 7:26 am
Management also expects to provide e-commerce and online ... Company's future business development; product and service demand and acceptance; changes in technology; economic conditions ...