With modern communication aids, users of electric powered wheelchairs can operate a PC and cellphone without human assistance. A new module is set to transform electric powered wheelchairs into communication hubs.
Writing text messages and e-mails, surfing the web, making phone calls – all these things can be a real challenge for people with disabilities. And that applies all the more to wheelchair users with impaired motor skills in their hands and to severely disabled people, who are dependent on communication aids to be able to operate electronic devices without difficulty. And a new communication aid is just what researchers from the Advanced System Technology (AST) branch of the Fraunhofer Institute for Optronics, System Technologies and Image Exploitation IOSB have developed at the request of its longstanding industrial partner, the medical technology manufacturer Otto Bock Mobility Solutions GmbH.
The new aid is an add-on module that expands the functionality of electric powered wheelchairs by connecting up the existing wheelchair control system (e.g. joystick, chin control) to a cellphone, PC, TV, games console, etc. via Bluetooth. The interface for data transmission is the wheelchair’s CAN bus, where all wheelchair data converges. “The module allows users to carry out all mouse functions – on their notebook or smartphone, say – and thereby check their e-mails, surf the web, and send an SOS in the event of an emergency. All USB-enabled devices are supported,” says Prof. Dr. Andreas Wenzel, group manager for embedded systems at the AST branch in Ilmenau.
Smartphone app calculates wheelchair range
The module is compatible with many electric powered wheelchairs from the Otto Bock range. Box-shaped and compact, its dimensions of 85 x 65 x 32 millimeters mean that it can be discreetly attached to the wheelchair. The box comprises both the hardware in the form of a printed circuit board and the software, and it has two Bluetooth interfaces. Wenzel describes the advantage of the second Bluetooth interface as follows: “The system not only enables interaction with electronic devices, it can also be used to transfer wheelchair data – such as battery capacity, motor currents, and errors in the drive system, for example – to a smartphone.” A specially developed smartphone app reads and processes the data.
“When users of electric powered wheelchairs are considering going on an excursion, they are often uncertain about how long the battery will last, because the energy consumed by the wheelchair depends on the temperatures outside and the hilliness of the terrain. A wheelchair uses up more power on steep hills than on flat roads. This uncertainty often means wheelchair users choose to stay in rather than venture out,” explains Wenzel. The Android app carries out a precise range projection. The app determines the current location , compares it against the battery capacity, and calculates if there is enough energy left to bring the wheelchair back to the home point. It obtains the requisite data from the Internet. Wheelchair users are informed how much further they can safely travel via their cellphones. When the capacity begins to run low, a warning appears on the smartphone display telling them that there is only enough power left for another ten kilometers. “This gives users certainty and peace of mind,” says Andreas Biederstädt, head of development for e-mobility and drive technology at Otto Bock. “The cellphone can be easily fitted to the wheelchair. Moreover, this enables us to do away with expensive industrial displays.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Huawei adds urban mobility app Moovit to its app storeon October 13, 2020 at 3:37 pm
Smartphone maker Huawei has added the popular urban mobility app Moovit to its AppGallery and users can download it right away, the company says. Moovit is used by 865 million people in 3200 cities ...
- Robin Hood’s Power Fund Announces Inaugural Cohort of Leaderson October 13, 2020 at 11:03 am
Robin Hood’s Power Fund Addresses Systemic Racism by Investing in Top Nonprofit Leaders of ColorNEW YORK, Oct. 13, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Robin Hood, NYC’s largest poverty-fighting organization, tod ...
- A New Global Mobility Hierarchy Emerges as International Travel Resumeson October 13, 2020 at 1:00 am
PRNewswire/ -- As coronavirus-related travel restrictions begin to lift, the latest research from the Henley Passport Index — based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association ...
- Helbiz Partners With Enel Energia to Power 100% Green and Sustainable Urban Mobilityon October 12, 2020 at 9:39 am
Helbiz, a global leader in micro-mobility, today announced an exclusive partnership and the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Enel Energia, a leading energy group in Italy, to offer ...
- Malcolm Muggeridge, Marked by Mobility and a Search for Moralityon October 11, 2020 at 3:37 am
Malcolm Muggeridge died 30 years ago and had so variegated a career that it is hard to bring into focus and evaluate—acidulous literary wit; journalistic, satirical, and historical writer; influential ...
- Bicycles And Buses Will Be Future’s Dominant Modes Of Urban Mobility, Predict 346 Transport Expertson October 10, 2020 at 8:49 pm
The Transport for Under Two Degrees project published a report on October 8 arguing that governments around the world should stop subsiding motoring, must hike fuel prices, and, instead, build ...
- Moorhead man's 270-mile ride in a wheelchair advocated for veterans' causeson October 10, 2020 at 2:12 pm
September, on the 270-mile stretch of highway between the Veterans Memorial Bridge in Moorhead and the State Capitol in St. Paul, you may have seen a unique sight on the road’s shoulder: a man in a ...
- Air-Powered Wheelchair Goes Like The Windon October 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Fear not, for The University of Pittsburgh has the answer: the air-powered wheelchair. Known as the PneuMobility project, the chair relies on a couple of compressed air tanks as a power source.
- Alexa-Equipped Power Wheelchair Promises Better Mobility to Persons with Disabilityon October 9, 2020 at 11:51 am
The LUCI hardware is attached to power chairs to avoid falling off curbs or ramps as well as colliding with any obstruction. The Nashville-based company developed the product in Denver. LUCI leads the ...
- Hydrogen-powered trains get the green light as Siemens Energy and Mobility sign joint agreementon October 6, 2020 at 11:32 am
The collaboration will look to produce "a standardized hydrogen infrastructure solution for fueling the hydrogen-powered trains of Siemens Mobility." In addition, the idea is that the products of ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Elite sports wheelchair manufacturer expands in Staffordshireon October 13, 2020 at 3:13 am
A leading designer and manufacturer of elite sports wheelchairs has doubled the size of its leasehold premises in Staffordshire as it forges ahead with growth plans. RGK Wheelchairs, based in Zone 2 ...
- Tony Sainsbury: The running, jumping and pivoting principle of wheelchair basketballon October 11, 2020 at 4:19 am
The IPC has issued a very detailed ‘blow by blow’ open letter on the dispute with IWBF, but unfortunately as a justification of their position it ...
- Mobility relief for wheelchair-bound chanteron October 8, 2020 at 11:23 pm
AMBITIOUS Chitungwiza-based dancehall singer Mike “Micho” Saujeni has received a shot in the arm for his mobility after the Alfred Dondo Foundation in partnership with Impala Car Rental donated a new ...
- Budget 2020 grants Warrnambool's train service accessible carriages, but there will still be a waiton October 8, 2020 at 12:51 pm
South-west Victorian residents who use wheelchairs will welcome the $208 million Budget boost, but will still have to wait three more years for consistently accessible train carriages.
- Funding sought for Queensland invention that could change the lives of wheelchair-bound parentson October 8, 2020 at 7:00 am
A kickstarter campaign has been started by a Queensland company that claims it has invented a world-first tool that could change the lives of wheelchair-bound new parents.
- Scottish Human Rights Commission's "deep concerns" over Covid care cuts which left some to sleep in wheelchairson October 6, 2020 at 3:09 pm
A human rights commission has expressed “deep concerns” over the reduction and withdrawal of support for people living in Scotland who rely ...
- Wheelchair users at risk of being hit by vehicles as pavement narrowson October 4, 2020 at 10:11 pm
WHEELCHAIR users and other pedestrians could be hit by cars after the council reduced the width of a popular city pavement.
- Students create tech-enabled Hoverchair for physically-challenged, old people: Know what is iton September 30, 2020 at 5:57 am
Hoverchair, developed by students, aims to make the lives of physically-challenged and old people much easier. Here's what this product is like ...
- Wheelchairs Market Growth Factors, Technological Developments and Key Innovations|Invacare, Pride Mobility Products, Sunrise Medicalon September 29, 2020 at 9:03 pm
MarketResearch.Biz –:An extensive and elaborate primary research on Global Wheelchairs Market report sheds light on numerous facets such as growth factors, statistical growth, business enhancement ...
- Wheelchairs (Powered and Manual) Market Size Soaring at 4% CAGR to Reach 2718.5 million USD by 2025on September 22, 2020 at 7:16 pm
The Wheelchairs (Powered and Manual ... with the intention of providing accurate market information which will enable our readers to make informed strategic investment decisions.