On TV and the Lecture Circuit, Bill Nye Aims to Change the World
As the car pulled into the parking lot of a Starbucks, William Sanford Nye unknotted his trademark bow tie and slipped it off.
“This might buy us a couple of minutes,” he said.
Roughly two minutes later, before his drink was ready, he was recognized anyway. Two awed young women approached to ask if he was really Bill Nye the Science Guy. Like more than a dozen other college students who would approach him over the next several hours, they asked if they could take a picture with him. He smiled, took a proffered iPhone, scooched the students in and, in a practiced gesture, stretched out his arm to take a shot of the three of them that you just knew was totally going on Facebook.
Mr. Nye had come to talk to them, and a few thousand of their friends, at Iowa State University. If he were a politician, college students would be his base. Instead, he is something more: a figure from their early days in front of the family TV, a beloved teacher and, more and more these days, a warrior for science. They, in turn, are his fans, his students and his army.
They have gone from watching him explain magnetism and electricity to defending the scientific evidence for climate change, the age of the earth and other issues they have seen polemicized for religious, political and even economic reasons.
He takes on those who would demand that the public schools teach alternative theories of evolution and the origins of the earth — most famously, in a video clip from the site BigThink.com that has been viewed some five million times. In it, he flatly tells adult viewers that “if you want to deny evolution and live in your world — in your world that’s completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe — that’s fine. But don’t make your kids do it, because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future.”
In any given week, you’re likely to see Mr. Nye, 57, somewhere on television, calmly countering the arguments made by people like Marc Morano, the former Republican Senate staff member whose industry-funded organization, climatedepot.com, disputes the increasingly well-understood connection between rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide and warming. In an exchange several months ago on “Piers Morgan Tonight” on CNN, Mr. Morano denied that warming is occurring, and scoffed that Mr. Nye’s arguments were “the level of your daily horoscope.”
Mr. Nye quietly rebutted his opponent with the gravity of scientific consensus. “This will be the hottest two decades in recorded history,” he said. “I’ve got to disagree with you.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- New Bill Nye virtual reality science kit launched in time for holiday shoppingon December 2, 2020 at 12:00 am
This toy allows children to wear goggles and immerse themselves in the scientist’s world. This holiday season, children can experience science as they never ...
- Watch Bill Nye Make Pizza Dough Using A Water Bottleon December 1, 2020 at 11:08 am
Bill Nye first took the world by storm in the 1990s with his informative, yet fun television show "Bill Nye the Science Guy." With his catchy theme song (which kids today would likely call a ...
- Judge Says Preliminary Hearing in Bill Nye’s Lawsuit To Be Conducted Remotelyon November 30, 2020 at 3:42 pm
Share this article:A preliminary non-jury hearing in a lawsuit filed by television personality Bill Nye — who alleges that Walt Disney Co. subsidiary Buena Vista Television engaged in questionable ...
- Give the gift of Bill Nye with his virtual reality science kiton November 29, 2020 at 9:08 am
Kids can get fully immersed into Bill Nye's science lab with his virtual reality science kit. This year, you can give your kids the gift of science with fully immersive VR experiments from the ...
- Celebrity Birthdays: Nov. 27on November 27, 2020 at 4:31 am
Here are some of the notable people celebrating birthdays today, including Alison Pill, Bill Nye, Callie Khouri, Jaleel White, Kathryn Bigelow, Robin Givens and more.
- Blow your kid's mind with the VR Universe and Bill Nye's VR Science kit for the holidayson November 25, 2020 at 4:33 am
This year, you can give your kids the gift of science with fully immersive VR experiments. Two of the coolest gifts for science or space-obsessed kids are Bill Nye's Virtual Reality Science Kit ($60) ...
- Last Call: All the times Bill Nye taught us about foodon November 23, 2020 at 1:59 pm
Bill Nye the Science Guy premiered on September 10, 1993, beguiling science teachers, parents—and me, a little idiot who realized that handsome television hosts were cool, but science was cooler. To ...
- Let Bill Nye Show You How To Make Pizza Dough Using A Water Bottleon November 20, 2020 at 11:00 am
ICYMI, Bill Nye the Science Guy is on TikTok, and he’s making videos that are reminiscent of his iconic science lessons. His latest vid reminds viewers that cooking is science and it involves making ...
- Bill Nye the Science Guy explains coronavirus and importance of wearing a maskon November 12, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Join us every morning for the 9 @ 9. It’s a countdown of the 9 most ridiculous stories we can possibly find each day. We discuss, argue, laugh, and sometimes cry our way to the top story.
- 4 Lessons from Bill Nye for Military Kidson November 10, 2020 at 8:00 pm
Military students from Japan, South Korea and the United States hopped on a Zoom call in October with Bill Nye, the Science Guy. With the help of Dr. Becca Frucht, a program officer with the Arthur M.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Letters: KC readers discuss Defense Department drama, COVID precautions and science facton November 13, 2020 at 3:03 am
Recent headlines speak of turnover at the Department of Defense. Defense Secretary Mark Esper was fired this week. Other senior officials have resigned, and questions about national security ...
- McGrath letter: Alternative science factson November 8, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The complainers are mostly radicals from left-coast states like Nebraska, Oregon, Washington, and California who want our schools to teach alternative facts claiming global warming and evolution ...
- Cooper urges NC to move forward with ‘science and facts’ instead of politics as COVID-19 numbers trend higheron November 6, 2020 at 7:04 am
Now, we don’t have to worry about that. And, hopefully we can move forward with science and facts and making sure we’re protecting the health and safety of North Carolinians.” The state reported 2,859 ...
- 9 science 'facts' about sugar that are completely falseon November 2, 2020 at 11:41 am
In other words, the gateway drug theory is still a theory and not scientific fact. Just because it's the color of dirt doesn't make brown sugar more natural or healthier than its white counterpart.
- Letter: Democrats' selective use of science factson September 24, 2020 at 6:03 am
As we knew would happen you’ve reached your monthly limit. All this local content you love is just a click away. Please log in, or sign up for a new account and ...
- Science Fiction or Science Fact?on August 14, 2020 at 3:05 pm
SCIENCE FACT. Improved telescopes and detectors have led to the detection of dozens of new planetary systems within the past decade, including several systems containing multiple planets. More than 50 ...
- Beto O’Rourke: Texas COVID-19 surge is due to ‘defiance of science, facts, truth’on June 24, 2020 at 6:22 pm
Beto O’Rourke says Texas governor reopened too early: “He reopened…for political purposes, and showing defiance of science, and facts, and the truth. And what that has led to is the crisis ...
- Netpark turning science fiction into science facton June 6, 2020 at 1:32 pm
But as you read, the newspaper will constantly update itself with new pictures, facts and breaking stories at the click of a button. It's the kind of thing seen only in science fiction movies such ...
- The Mortimer B. Zuckerman Research Center Science Fact Sheeton April 21, 2020 at 12:03 am
Discoveries can be moved swiftly and effectively from the laboratory to the patient care setting, while observations made in the course of patient care offer a rich source of data and inquiry for ...
- Mojo Vision smart contact lenses: science fiction is quickly becoming science facton March 5, 2020 at 4:12 pm
Ever thought to yourself, why on earth can't I have super-powered vision like The Six Million Dollar Man? Or bionic eyes with Augmented Reality just like concepts portrayed in Iron Man and Mission ...