A remarkable step toward building high-power energy devices
Hybrid created by Rice, Honda Research Institute shows nanotubes can grow on anything
What may be the ultimate heat sink is only possible because of yet another astounding capability of graphene. The one-atom-thick form of carbon can act as a go-between that allows vertically aligned carbon nanotubes to grow on nearly anything.
That includes diamonds. A diamond film/graphene/nanotube structure was one result of new research carried out by scientists at Rice University and the Honda Research Institute USA, reported today in Nature’s online journal Scientific Reports.
The heart of the research is the revelation that when graphene is used as a middleman, surfaces considered unusable as substrates for carbon nanotube growth now have the potential to do so. Diamond happens to be a good example, according to Rice materials scientist Pulickel Ajayan and Honda chief scientist Avetik Harutyunyan.
Diamond conducts heat very well, five times better than copper. But its available surface area is very low. By its very nature, one-atom-thick graphene is all surface area. The same could be said of carbon nanotubes, which are basically rolled-up tubes of graphene. A vertically aligned forest of carbon nanotubes grown on diamond would disperse heat like a traditional heat sink, but with millions of fins. Such an ultrathin array could save space in small microprocessor-based devices.
“Further work along these lines could produce such structures as patterned nanotube arrays on diamond that could be utilized in electronic devices,” Ajayan said. Graphene and metallic nanotubes are also highly conductive; in combination with metallic substrates, they may also have uses in advanced electronics, he said.
To test their ideas, the Honda team grew various types of graphene on copper foil by standard chemical vapor deposition. They then transferred the tiny graphene sheets to diamond, quartz and other metals for further study by the Rice team.
They found that only single-layer graphene worked well, and sheets with ripples or wrinkles worked best. The defects appeared to capture and hold the airborne iron-based catalyst particles from which the nanotubes grow. The researchers think graphene facilitates nanotube growth by keeping the catalyst particles from clumping.
Ajayan thinks the extreme thinness of graphene does the trick. In a previous study, the Rice lab found graphene shows materials coated with graphene can get wet, but the graphene provides protection against oxidation. “That might be one of the big things about graphene, that you can have a noninvasive coating that keeps the property of the substrate but adds value,” he said. “Here it allows the catalytic activity but stops the catalyst from aggregating.”
Testing found that the graphene layer remains intact between the nanotube forest and the diamond or other substrate. On a metallic substrate like copper, the entire hybrid is highly conductive.
Such seamless integration through the graphene interface would provide low-contact resistance between current collectors and the active materials of electrochemical cells, a remarkable step toward building high-power energy devices, said Rice research scientist and co-author Leela Mohana Reddy Arava.
The Latest Bing News on:
Ultimate heat sink
- Tributes paid to 'ultimate entertainer' Des O'Connor who has died aged 88on November 15, 2020 at 2:21 am
Tributes pour in for Des O'Connor who has died in his sleep at the age of 88, days after suffering a fall at his home ...
- 66 Clever AF Things On Amazon That Are Flying Off The Shelveson November 14, 2020 at 8:00 am
The real gems of online shopping are clever problem solvers that are also super easy to use. No wonder thousands of shoppers can't stop raving about these.
- RAZER ANNOUNCES THE KAIRA PRO – THE ULTIMATE XBOX AND CLOUD GAMING HEADSETon November 5, 2020 at 3:10 pm
THE ULTIMATE XBOX AND CLOUD GAMING HEADSET. The Kaira Pro Designed for Xbox brings Razer’s latest innovative audio technologies to Xbox Series ...
- The Skin Nerd: Omegas, ceramides, and good fats are what your skin craveson November 5, 2020 at 1:50 am
Our barrier needs to be minded in the winter months, when we essentially attack it by blasting up the heat and then going outside into very cold ...
- Epic Blonde Makeover with All the Stepson November 2, 2020 at 9:46 am
We believe in working as one to provide ultimate masterpieces ... then let that process under heat.” Once she was ready to be rinsed they brought her to the sink and and pulled the foils. Pre-toned ...
- Gigabyte Launches its Nvidia 3070 Graphics Cardson October 29, 2020 at 8:17 am
The heat dissipation area of the heat-sink is more than the previous generation ... It is recommended for enthusiasts who want the ultimate performance and colorful RGB appearance.
- The ultimate WIRED Christmas gift guide for 2020on October 29, 2020 at 3:22 am
Nike’s first dedicated maternity collection, Nike (M), has been developed to support “the ultimate endurance ... on the beautifully engineered heat sink and speaker grille, and a recurring ...
- Inside the Ultimate Family Road Tripon October 25, 2020 at 9:09 am
Allow that to sink in. Let me pause for a moment to mention the bathroom ... The tyranny of the trucks. The heat. I worried the car might just explode from the desert heat. And there was traffic. Lots ...
- 10 cosy living room ideason October 24, 2020 at 5:23 am
Start with the main culprit for heat ... to sink into and snuggle up in. Layering and accessorising with extra throws and cushions is a must for lounging. 'Go for a mix of throws and cushions in ...
- Here’s Your First Look At The Talks Of The 2019 Hackaday Superconferenceon October 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The ultimate hardware conference returns this ... and knowing how to characterize this means we can choose the right heat sink for any application. Learn about free simulation tools that can ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Ultimate heat sink
The Latest Bing News on:
High-power energy devices
- Day of the Triffids makes cents as Arm plots billions of batteryless deviceson November 16, 2020 at 9:05 am
Its Project Triffid is set to trigger billions of batteryless Arm devices, according to Arm Distinguished Engineer James Myers. This year, Arm celebrates its 30 year anniversary and the engineering ...
- 3 Stocks From the Exciting Radio Frequency Space to Watch Out Foron November 16, 2020 at 8:49 am
Radio Frequency industry appears encouraging at the moment. Nevertheless, lingering impacts of coronavirus pandemic led supply chain disruptions remain an overhang. The Zacks Semiconductors - Radio ...
- VisIC and AB Mikroelektronik Collaborate on Battery Development for Electric Drive Systemson November 16, 2020 at 6:00 am
Reliable battery disconnect and short circuit protection is required for high voltage battery systems Fast D3GaN switching is a key ...
- Ideal Power Inc.'s (IPWR) CEO Dan Brdar on Q3 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton November 12, 2020 at 10:49 pm
IPWR) Q3 2020 Results Earnings Conference Call November 12, 2020, 4:30 PM ET Company Participants Carolyn Capaccio - LHA Investor Relations Dan Brdar - President and CEO Tim Burns - Chief Financial ...
- Ideal Power Reports Third Quarter 2020 Financial Resultson November 12, 2020 at 1:07 pm
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ideal Power Inc. (Nasdaq: IPWR), pioneering the development and commercialization of highly efficient and broadly patented B-TRAN™ bi-directional power switches, reported results ...
- Maximize Mobile Point of Sale (POS) Uptime with Robust Protection Technologieson November 12, 2020 at 12:48 pm
While USB Type-C devices can charge with high power, 100 W, the USB connector has densely spaced ... While lithium ion battery packs have high energy density in compact cells, they can be susceptible ...
- UV-C SSL news: Luminus adds LEDs, ProPhotonix debuts moduleon November 11, 2020 at 5:58 am
Luminus Devices has announced the new XFM-5050 series of packaged ... And an active cooling systems helps support the relatively high power output.
- Improving high-energy lithium-ion batteries with carbon filleron November 10, 2020 at 8:03 am
WASHINGTON, November 10, 2020 -- Lithium-ion batteries are the major rechargeable power source for many portable devices ... high power output while simultaneously allowing reversible energy ...
- Improving high-energy lithium-ion batteries with carbon filleron November 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Lithium-ion batteries are the major rechargeable power source for many portable devices as ... do not provide high power output while simultaneously allowing reversible energy storage.
- STMicroelectronics Unveils World’s Fastest 50W Qi Wireless-Charging ICon November 5, 2020 at 11:18 am
ST’s state-of-the-art 50W wireless-power IC charges smartphones two times faster than the previous-generation device. Safe, wireless delivery of high power to charge personal ... more efficient power ...