Biology is on the verge of getting its versions of the lever, wheel and axle, pulley and other basic machines that enable engineers to build almost any mechanical device, a new analysis has concluded.
The viewpoint article on availability of this new toolkit — for engineering biological factories that can produce new biofuels, crops and chemicals, among others — appears in the journal ACS Synthetic Biology.
Kevin Munnelly, CEO of synthetic biology start-up Gen9, explains that people have been using basic genetic engineering for centuries to breed stronger oxen, faster horses and improved food crops. In recent years, however, there have been great leaps forward in the field of “synthetic biology.” Powered in part by advances in genome sequencing, chip-based processing and chemical innovations, that field is developing a solid engineering foundation of biological parts that can be assembled with the same precision and predictability of engineers constructing bridges or engines, and applied at the scale required for industrial manufacturing. Using synthetic biology, innovators across industries are building billion-dollar-plus markets for plants that churn out biofuels, create new textiles or yield crops that will thrive in any environment. They are also tackling data storage. For example, the entire contents of the Library of Congress could fit within a shot-glass of DNA.
In this viewpoint article, Munnelly describes the significant accomplishments that have shaped the synthetic biology landscape, as well as possible future innovations. Synthetic biology is already building its basic toolkit, with a switch and an oscillator, for instance, and scientists have stored 70 billion copies of a book in genetic material the size of a garden pea. On the horizon are drop-in genes, protein signaling pathways and other interchangeable parts for the emerging industrial biotechnology toolkit.
The Latest Bing News on:
- New lab-on-a-chip infection test produces diagnostic results in minuteson December 2, 2020 at 6:30 am
Scientists have successfully miniaturized the polymerase chain reaction, the technology that powers the most popular tests for detecting viruses and bacteria in biological samples.
- Breakthrough NASA Study Discovers Surprising Key to Astronauts’ Health in Spaceon December 2, 2020 at 6:00 am
A collaboration between NASA and various research institutions pinpointed a “central biological hub” that controls health during space travel.
- Understanding The Psilocybin Supply Chain: Every Production Method Explainedon December 2, 2020 at 5:57 am
Psilocybin is known as the active compound in so-called “magic mushrooms”, yet most psilocybin used in clinical trials today is synthesized in laboratories without the use of biological material. As ...
- NGOs to push Biden to be tougher on plasticson December 2, 2020 at 3:57 am
A group of prominent conservation organizations plans a campaign to urge President-elect Joe Biden to use executive orders to target plastics environmental concerns, saying they see significant room ...
- Environmentalists Bring Second Suit to Protect NC River Specieson December 1, 2020 at 12:45 pm
An environmental group sued the federal government again Tuesday for not giving endangered species protections to two aquatic creatures in eastern North Carolina, claiming officials have dragged ...
- Why Norway's CO2 Subsea Storage Project Matterson November 29, 2020 at 4:17 pm
We must also actively remove CO2 from the atmosphere and establish a balance between emissions and removal. Not all industries will be able to achieve net zero emissions by 2050. The agricultural ...
- Scientists Create Living Factories That Churn Out Hydrogen Fuelon November 25, 2020 at 10:08 am
By jam-packing photosynthetic algae into sugary droplets of water, scientists are building mini biological factories that churn out hydrogen that could be used as a source of carbon-neutral energy.
- Global Biological Safety Cabinet Market 2020 Segmented by Product, Application, Key Players and Regional Analysis to 2025on November 25, 2020 at 6:43 am
Global Biological Safety Cabinet Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 published on MarketQuest.biz provides an in-depth analysis of industry- and economy-wide ...
- Counties cross Indiana prepare for COVID-19 vaccine distributionon November 23, 2020 at 4:46 pm
Roughly 50 hospitals across Indiana are preparing to administer a COVID-19 vaccine, according to state health officials during a briefing last week. Good news about a vaccine ...
- Indiana counties prepare for COVID-19 vaccine distributionon November 23, 2020 at 4:46 pm
Roughly 50 hospitals across Indiana are preparing to administer a COVID-19 vaccine, according to state health officials during a briefing last week. Good news about a vaccine could ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Sherlock Biosciences Strengthens Intellectual Property Portfolio in CRISPR-based Diagnostics Through Exclusive License Agreement with Tolo Biotechon December 4, 2020 at 5:30 am
Sherlock Biosciences, an Engineering Biology company dedicated to making diagnostic testing better, faster and more affordable, today announced exclusive license agreements with Shanghai-based Tolo ...
- Amyris Launches Virtual Investor Mini-Serieson December 3, 2020 at 4:00 am
PRNewswire/ -- (Nasdaq: AMRS), a leading synthetic biotechnology company active in the Clean Health and Beauty markets through its consumer brands, and a ...
- Energy efficiency: Innovations that drive prosperity and slash emissionson December 2, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Strategies for increasing the efficiency of energy use lie at the core of climate policy. This fresh review provides a snapshot of the state-of-the art in energy efficiency and shows how future ...
- 'This will change medicine': How DeepMind is answering one of biology's biggest questionson December 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Google's DeepMind unit released data showing that its artificial intelligence program AlphaFold can accurately and quickly predict the 3D structure of a protein—a development that addresses one of the ...
- Combining deep computational learning and synthetic biologyon December 1, 2020 at 8:19 am
Dr Diogo Camcho discusses synthetic biology research into machine learning algorithms to analyse RNA sequences and reveal drug targets.
- Codex DNA Releases New Synthetic Genomes for the Fight Against COVID-19on December 1, 2020 at 7:17 am
Codex DNA, Inc. today announced the release of seven new synthetic SARS-CoV-2 genomes for use in the development of vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics to help in the COVID-19 pandemic response.
- IISER Pune team wins gold at iGEM 2020 synthetic biology competitionon November 26, 2020 at 10:52 pm
A team of 14 students from Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) Pune who competed at the 2020 international Genetically E.
- TAU Students Nab Gold Medal At Synthetic Biology World Championshipon November 26, 2020 at 4:17 am
The TAU team ranked higher overall than teams from some of the world's top universities including MIT and Harvard.
- Augmentation: Top things to know before investing in Synthetic Biology Marketon November 25, 2020 at 12:42 am
Research Dive –:The global synthetic biology market is estimated to surpass $30,479.5 million by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 23.9% from 2020 to 2027.The report aims to offer a clear picture of the ...
- TAU students win gold medal at iGEM – the World Championship in Synthetic Biologyon November 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The technology developed by the TAU team, based on tools from various disciplines, comprises software for designing genetically stable DNA sequences, alongside novel techniques for measuring genome ...