New Approach to Slowing Rot Doubles Berry Shelf Life
Strawberry lovers rejoice: the days of unpacking your luscious berries from the refrigerator only to find them sprouting wispy goatees of mold may be numbered. A research team from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food Components and Health Laboratory in Beltsville, Md., and Sensor Electronic Technology, Inc. (SETi) in Columbia, S.C., has demonstrated that low irradiance ultra-violet (UV) light directed at strawberries over long exposure periods at low temperature and very high humidity—typical home refrigerator conditions—delays spoilage. The team used a novel device incorporating light-emitting diodes (LEDs) that emit UV at wavelengths found in sunlight transmitted through Earth’s atmosphere. The results, which will be presented next week at the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO: 2013), are significant because previous attempts using traditional UV light sources for storage of produce resulted in severe drying, and it was unknown if the advantages of long exposure to low-level UV light would be effective against rot.
LEDs are now commonplace thanks to their long life and energy efficiency, as well as their ability to span the wavelength range from near UV to infrared. The full UV spectrum, however, had presented challenges for LED manufacturers – until recently. SETi developed a special technology to fabricate UV LEDs across the entire UV spectrum from UVA to UVC. This flexibility allowed them to tune the emitted light to the wavelengths most effective for this application.
“UV-LEDs presented the opportunity to try low power devices that work well in the cold and can be engineered to work in small spaces such as refrigerator compartments,” says lead USDA researcher Steven Britz, who will present the work at CLEO: 2013.
Using strawberries purchased from a local supermarket, Britz’s team placed one batch in a dark refrigerator and one batch in a refrigerator exposed to UV-LEDs. Results showed the UV-treated berries had their shelf life extended twofold—nine days mold-free—over darkened berries, as judged by weight, moisture content, concentration of select phytochemicals, visible damage, and mold growth.
Based on these encouraging results, the team is working to commercialize the technology for home refrigerators.
The Latest Bing News on:
9-Day Fresh Strawberry
- 29 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas Cruise Reviews for Family Cruises to Australia & New Zealandon March 24, 2019 at 6:34 am
Several towl animals were left in our cabin to our delight over the 9 day cruise. We have already booked another cruise with Royal Caribbean and we can’t wait. Read Less ...
- Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbeanon July 14, 2017 at 3:08 pm
The salads & fresh fruit in front are always plentiful ... is very very desolate and didn't` feel unsafe at all. On the 9 day Western,this is your 1st stop. In a way I'm glad you `get it over ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
9-Day Fresh Strawberry
The Latest Bing News on:
Shelf life of fruit
- Irradiation Secures Viet Nam's Fruit Exportson November 27, 2020 at 8:14 am
Irradiated for freshness” written across a juicy mango may raise some eyebrows, but the label has guaranteed Viet Nam exports worth US$20 million a year to the United States. Using irradiation to ...
- Dried fruit may be connected with better healthon November 25, 2020 at 4:30 am
It's time to add dried fruit to your diet! New research has shown that eating them may be connected with better health. Researchers from Penn State University found that people who ate dried fruit, ...
- Upstart Hazel finds cachet for innovative sachets that extend produce shelf lifeon November 25, 2020 at 1:44 am
Suppliers sing the praises of technology that helps them reduce waste and increase profit even during a pandemic.
- SAVE FOODS SIGNS LETTER OF INTENT WITH PLANETAGRO FOR DISTRIBUTION OF ITS PRODUCTS ACROSS MEXICOon November 18, 2020 at 10:10 am
PlanetAgro has Initiated Pilot Test for Avocados, Other Produce to Follow. TEL AVIV, Israel, Nov. 18, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Save Foods (OTC Pink: SAFO) (“Save Foods” or the ...
- Fruits n' Rootz uses Hazel Tech in tropical fruit boxeson November 17, 2020 at 7:50 pm
Fruits n’ Rootz specializes in the shipment of rare and exotic tropical produce items directly to consumers. Offerings include a wide variety of fresh tropical fruits such as soursop, mamey, cherimoya ...
- Symphony Environmental launches new fruit and vegetable bag to reduce food wasteon November 15, 2020 at 10:52 pm
PLC has announced the launch of a new reusable plastic bag product designed to keep climacteric fruit and vegetables – those that continue to ...
- New device to determine quality and shelf life of fruits and vegetables in real timeon November 12, 2020 at 5:53 am
For this reason, "the monitoring of these environmental factors is a key procedure to ensure quality throughout the product's entire shelf life and to evaluate any losses," he said. For his part ...
- Diwali sweets for diet-conscious people: 10 boxes of sweets that are diet-friendlyon November 9, 2020 at 5:51 am
These sweets are gluten-free, free from sugar and have a shelf life of 3 months from the date of manufacturing. You can buy this box of 200 gm of barfi here. WeDesi Dry Fruit Laddoos WeDesi Dry ...
- The best shelf-stable foods to keep on hand in the event of a quarantine, according to a dietitianon November 5, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Fruit that's canned in syrups ... However, canned meat is a viable alternative, offering an extremely long shelf life without compromising any of its nutritional benefits.
- Control-Tec TM from AgroFresh packs leading technologies into post-harvest treatmenton November 3, 2020 at 7:45 pm
AgroFresh continues to develop new technologies and products that have extended the shelf life of fruits and vegetables and decreased food waste across the grower-to-consumer supply chain.