Researchers at the UPM have developed a robot prototype by using an unconventional motion mode to conduct missions on wild environments.
The Robotics and Cybernetics Research Group from the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid has special interest in developing robots able to live in environments where the motion can be a difficulty due to uneven ground. They studied, designed and built a land mobile vehicle that has an unconventional motion.
The result of this work is ROSPHERE, a robot without wheels or legs which has a single spherical form that, literally, scrolls by itself to conduct the missions and being inherently stable. The robot has proved its potential for diverse applications during the assessment.
How can a single ball be able to move apparently without any external force? In this case, the performance is based on a principle of relative simplicity involving the understanding of an essential physic concept: the center of mass.
The running of the “spherical robot” can be compared to the ball game thought for hamsters. In that case, as the hamster moves it changes the location of the center of mass of the system by destabilizing the spherical robot and consequently generating motion.
In general, the numerous motion systems of spherical robots can be understood as alternative ways to replace the little animal with a mechanical system which is complemented with electronics instruments and programs in a way that, as a joint, the “mechatronic” system may induce motion of a ball in a controlled manner.
ROSPHERE, the prototype developed by the Cybernetics Research Group of the UPM, for example, has a pendulum system with a capacity of two independent motions. Thanks to this internal mechanism, ROSPHERE can conduct straight movements and similar curvilinear motion to a car.
A significant part of time spent on this research was related to the “mechatronic” development of the robot, this includes all the aspects that involve its mechanics and control electronics, communications and programming by generating two versions which were proved on evolutions of the pendulum and its drive system.
However, the development of the group from the UPM went beyond the creation of the robot. After the development of the test platforms and validation of its control systems, the robot was tested on diverse scenarios to assess its real applications.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Robots for kids: STEM kits and more tech gifts for hackers of all ageson November 28, 2020 at 1:14 am
If you want to spark the imagination of your kids while at the same time giving them a leg up with some of the tech skills they'll need as adults, you can't go wrong by looking at these products as ...
- Global Inspection Robotics in Oil & Gas Industry Market Size 2020: Worldwide Industry Report | Forecast To 2027 | Fortune Business Insightson November 25, 2020 at 2:01 am
The global “Inspection Robotics in Oil and Gas Industry Market” is expected to rise with an impressive CAGR and ...
- To the moon and beyond: The robots that are blazing a trail for human space explorationon November 25, 2020 at 1:40 am
Motiv Space Systems is designing specialist robotic equipment for the next generation of commercial space exploration, and the extreme off-world environments that astronauts face.
- Underwater Robotics Market Excessive Growth Opportunities Estimated to Be Experienced 2020-2029 | Deep Ocean Engineering, Incon November 24, 2020 at 10:45 pm
A consciously conceived and designed business intelligence report titled Global Underwater Robotics market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type, and Application, Forecast to 2029 by MarketResearch.biz ...
- Meet Apple’s telepresence roboton November 24, 2020 at 3:45 am
A Boston Dynamics robot called Spot is helping Apple and its architects design a new HQ at an iconic location.
- China Sends Robotic Mission To The Moon To Collect Rockson November 24, 2020 at 3:19 am
The mission will land, take a sample and return to Earth. It's the first such sample-return mission in more than 40 years, and it will tell scientists about the age of the moon and planets.
- Aker BP and Cognite Pioneer Robotics Deployment Offshore to Transform Oil and Gas Industry with Autonomous Missionon November 24, 2020 at 12:01 am
Cognite Data Fusion powers Spot, the Boston Dynamics quadruped robot dog, as it completes autonomous mission onboard Aker BP Skarv installation in the North Sea (Photo: Business Wire) The effort ...
- China calls launch a success as robotic spacecraft heads to moonon November 23, 2020 at 10:54 pm
China hailed as a success its pre-dawn launch on Tuesday of a robotic spacecraft to bring back rocks from the moon in the first bid by any country to retrieve lunar surface samples since the 1970s, a ...
- China launches robotic spacecraft to retrieve rocks from the moonon November 23, 2020 at 6:23 pm
China on Tuesday launched a robotic spacecraft to bring back rocks from the moon in the first bid by any country to retrieve samples from the lunar surface since the 1970s, a mission that underscores ...
- NASA taps WiBotic, Astrobotic, Bosch and UW to Develop Wireless Charging for Lunar Robotson November 17, 2020 at 10:27 pm
We’re thrilled to have been selected by Astrobotic and NASA to deliver wireless charging capabilities to the next generation of lunar vehicles,” said Ben Waters, CEO and co-founder, WiBotic. “While ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Black Friday deals 2020: Best offers from Boots, Currys, Nintendo and moreon November 28, 2020 at 2:40 am
After weeks of anticipation, the biggest shopping event of the year, Black Friday, is finally here. With a broad range of retailers slashing their prices on big-ticket items, from smart TVs and ...
- All the best Black Friday deals you can shop at Amazonon November 27, 2020 at 2:06 am
Today's the day. Black Friday is here, and so are incredible savings on products across all categories at Amazon. The mega retailer is rolling out deals upon deals on everything from giftable ...
- The Adorable Robot Spot, Now In Affordable Formon November 25, 2020 at 4:00 pm
There are other quadruped robots to inspire yourself on than Spot though, like this one with a spherical design and fold-out legs. Check this one in action after the break.
- All the best Black Friday deals you can shop at Amazon right nowon November 25, 2020 at 9:07 am
We're technically still a few days away from Black Friday — but don't tell that to Amazon. The most massive online retailer likes to make a full week out of the biggest shopping day of the year, which ...
- The 5 best Amazon Black Friday deals you can get this Tuesdayon November 24, 2020 at 1:45 pm
Prices may have changed since Tuesday for these deals. For the most recent top deals on Amazon, check out our new story here. Eager to get a jumpstart on Black Friday discounts? Right now at Amazon, ...
- Construction Site Mobility Robot Spot 2.1 Releasedon November 23, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Agile mobile robots like Boston Dynamics' Spot can collect ... Attaching new image sensors, like off-the-shelf spherical or thermal cameras, is now as simple as editing an example script and ...
- Roller-Based Robot Hand Graspson November 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Of course, this works well with spherical objects like a ball ... We’ve seen soft gripping robot fingers before. Gripping is one of those things that is easy for even a child to do, but much ...