Lawrence Livermore scientists have discovered and demonstrated a new technique to remove and store atmospheric carbon dioxide while generating carbon-negative hydrogen and producing alkalinity, which can be used to offset ocean acidification.
The team demonstrated, at a laboratory scale, a system that uses the acidity normally produced in saline water electrolysis to accelerate silicate mineral dissolution while producing hydrogen fuel and other gases. The resulting electrolyte solution was shown to be significantly elevated in hydroxide concentration that in turn proved strongly absorptive and retentive of atmospheric CO2.
Further, the researchers suggest that the carbonate and bicarbonate produced in the process could be used to mitigate ongoing ocean acidification, similar to how an Alka Seltzer neutralizes excess acid in the stomach.
“We not only found a way to remove and store carbon dioxide from the atmosphere while producing valuable H2, we also suggest that we can help save marine ecosystems with this new technique,” said Greg Rau, an LLNL visiting scientist, senior scientist at UC Santa Cruz and lead author of a paper appearing this week (May 27) in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
When carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere, a significant fraction is passively taken up by the ocean forming carbonic acid that makes the ocean more acidic. This acidification has been shown to be harmful to many species of marine life, especially corals and shellfish. By the middle of this century, the globe will likely warm by at least 2 degrees Celsius and the oceans will experience a more than 60 percent increase in acidity relative to pre-industrial levels. The alkaline solution generated by the new process could be added to the ocean to help neutralize this acid and help offset its effects on marine biota. However, further research is needed, the authors said.
“When powered by renewable electricity and consuming globally abundant minerals and saline solutions, such systems at scale might provide a relatively efficient, high-capacity means to consume and store excess atmospheric CO2 as environmentally beneficial seawater bicarbonate or carbonate,” Rau said. “But the process also would produce a carbon-negative ‘super green’ fuel or chemical feedstock in the form of hydrogen.”
Most previously described chemical methods of atmospheric carbon dioxide capture and storage are costly, using thermal/mechanical procedures to concentrate molecular CO2 from the air while recycling reagents, a process that is cumbersome, inefficient and expensive.
“Our process avoids most of these issues by not requiring CO2 to be concentrated from air and stored in a molecular form, pointing the way to more cost-effective, environmentally beneficial, and safer air CO2 management with added benefits of renewable hydrogen fuel production and ocean alkalinity addition,” Rau said.
The Latest Bing News on:
- China's afforestation effort helps achieve carbon neutralon November 28, 2020 at 6:11 am
This study is based on the comparison of carbon absorption between the original forest and artificial afforestation from 2001 to 2010. The results show that the carbon dioxide absorbed by artificial ...
- Shark Feast! And Insights about Carbon Sequestrationon November 25, 2020 at 4:53 am
A team of researchers including UConn's Peter Auster stumbled on something rarely glimpsed by human beings - a deep-sea shark feast.
- How Federal, State Plans Could Bring Carbon Capture To USon November 23, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Proposals from President-elect Joe Biden, a pair of bills currently pending in Congress and a low-carbon fuels program in California provide insights into how carbon capture, utilization and storage ...
- Carbon Capture and Storage Market Size Worth $10.45 Billion By 2026 | CAGR: 11.5%: Polaris Market Researchon November 23, 2020 at 3:30 am
The global carbon capture and storage market size is expected to reach USD 10.45 billion by 2026 according to a new study conducted by ...
- Congress Considers A Variety Of Programs To Incentivize Carbon Capture Projectson November 19, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Carbon capture technology has been used for years to extract CO₂ from point sources, such as ethanol plants. The CO₂ can be used in industrial applications — such as being injected into the ground to ...
- Fishing saps the ocean’s power to capture carbonon November 19, 2020 at 9:52 am
By taking fish out of the ocean that would otherwise die and sink to the bottom, fishing has a negative impact on the ocean's carbon sequestration.
- Department of Agriculture to invest in new observatory to measure carbon emissions and removals across Irish soilson November 19, 2020 at 3:34 am
The Department of Agriculture is investing in the establishment of a National Agricultural Soil Carbon Observatory.
- What will be the CAGR Value for Carbon Capture and Sequestration Market in 2026? Fortune Business Insightson November 18, 2020 at 11:34 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Nov 18, 2020 (The Expresswire) -- The global carbon capture and sequestration market is likely to gain momentum from ...
- Soil carbon changes in transition areas suggest Amazon conservation outlookon November 18, 2020 at 10:09 pm
The next phase of understanding, the researchers said, will come from integrating plant, soil and atmospheric data to understand the influence of human activity on ecosystem-climate feedbacks as a ...
- Researchers quantify carbon changes in Sierra Nevada meadow soilson November 18, 2020 at 7:40 pm
"My hope is that soil carbon sequestration can be integrated with other objectives to achieve management strategies that improve ecosystem functions in meadows." Sullivan said he and his ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
CO2 sequestration technique
- Park City Community Foundation names eight recipients for second round of Climate Fund grantson November 25, 2020 at 7:13 am
The Park City Community Foundation announced a new round of eight climate change projects that are being funded with grants totaling $210,000. The Park City Climate Fund grant recipients ...
- Carbon markets lure farmers, but will benefits be enough to hook them?on November 23, 2020 at 10:27 am
A top adviser to Biden is proposing to create a carbon bank at USDA that would buy and sell carbon credits from farmers using a reverse action technique in which farmers ... that have already ...
- Can farms and forests help us meet the climate challenge?on November 20, 2020 at 5:54 am
The answer is yes, through carbon sequestration. Plants take up carbon dioxide from ... some 2,000 acres of former commercial forest land is being managed with techniques to improve carbon capture, as ...
- What will be the CAGR Value for Carbon Capture and Sequestration Market in 2026? Fortune Business Insightson November 18, 2020 at 10:57 pm
Nov 18, 2020 (The Expresswire) -- The global carbon capture and sequestration market is likely ... use industry-leading research tools and techniques to compile comprehensive market studies ...
- Sequestering Carbon Dioxide Using a Novel Lithium Batteryon November 16, 2020 at 3:59 pm
(Image source: MIT) There are basically two thoughts when it comes to carbon capture and sequestration (CCS ... “What we’ve shown for the first time is that this technique activates the carbon dioxide ...
- Canadian company will build $830M agriculture centre to fight climate changeon November 15, 2020 at 10:42 pm
The company plans on creating carbon credits that farmers ... technologies to measure greenhouse gas sequestration and determining best management techniques,” Terramera explained to The Weather ...
- Flipping the script on global CO2 levels: The O2C Marketplace awarded global honorson November 4, 2020 at 9:48 pm
The project will use current satellites systems and AI to connect corporations that want to reduce their carbon footprint with farmers worldwide who practice carbon sequestration — capturing ...
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Carbon Capture and Sequestration Market Fights Back with Well-defined Business Strategie? Fortune Business Insightson November 1, 2020 at 11:54 pm
Nov 02, 2020 (The Expresswire) -- The global carbon capture and sequestration market is likely ... use industry-leading research tools and techniques to compile comprehensive market studies ...