Bed bugs now need to watch their step.
Researchers at Stony Brook University have developed a safe, non-chemical resource that literally stops bed bugs in their tracks. This innovative new technology acts as a man-made web consisting of microfibers 50 times thinner than a human hair which entangle and trap bed bugs and other insects. This patent-pending technology is being commercialized by Fibertrap, a private company that employs non-toxic pest control methods.
The nanotech solution was developed at Stony Brook University’s Center for Advanced Technology in Sensor Materials (Sensor CAT), a program funded by NYSTAR, as part of a statewide effort to encourage greater technological and economic collaboration between industry and research universities.
“Our nanotechnology produces entanglements that are millions of times more dense than woven products such as fabrics or carpets,” said lead researcher Miriam Rafailovich, Distinguished Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and Co-Director in the Program of Chemical and Molecular Engineering at Stony Brook University. “The microfibers trap them by attaching to microstructures on their legs taking away their ability to move, which stops them from feeding and reproducing.”
Successful tests were performed using live bed bugs and termites in Professor Rafailovich’s lab with the assistance of Ying Liu, a scientist with Stony Brook University’s Advanced Energy Research and Technology Center and Stony Brook graduate students Shan He and Linxi Zhang.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Xbox Live Bug Allowed Hackers to Learn Users' Email Addresseson November 28, 2020 at 8:41 am
Anonymous hackers discovered a vulnerability on Xbox Live that allowed them to easily gain access to the email address behind any gamer tag.
- Apex Legends Devs Are Looking Into Frustrating Season 7 Bugon November 28, 2020 at 5:42 am
Apex Legends got plenty of new content in Season 7 that players should be well acquainted with by now with part of those content plans including clubs, a new social feature. As you’d expect from the ...
- GNOME 3.38.2 Desktop Environment Is Out with Even More Improvements and Bug Fixeson November 27, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Coming two months after the first point release, GNOME 3.38.2 is here with better support for the GNOME OS project that lets developers and user test drive upcoming features of the popular desktop ...
- Indoor bug zappers that keep mosquitoes away without the stinkon November 27, 2020 at 11:24 am
The bites are also just irritating. When your mosquito sprays and repellents aren’t quite cutting it, here are some indoor bug zappers to get the job done: Swatter: ZAP IT! Bug Zapper Rechargeable ...
- Drupal issues emergency fix for critical bug with known exploitson November 27, 2020 at 8:31 am
Drupal has released emergency security updates to address a critical vulnerability with known exploits that could allow for arbitrary PHP code execution on some CMS versions.
- A flesh-eating bug made my c-section explode days after I gave birth – I smelt of ‘death’ & docs scooped out my tummyon November 27, 2020 at 1:44 am
A FIRST-TIME mum has revealed how a flesh-eating bug caused her c-section scar to EXPLODE and resulted in doctors having to scoop out her stomach during emergency surgery. Deanna Hirrell, 26, ...
- Xbox Live Bug Let Hackers Access Gamertag Email Addresseson November 26, 2020 at 1:48 pm
A bug in Xbox Live allowed hackers to find any email associated with a registered gamertag. The site used to report bad behavior in the Xbox online community was hiding a vulnerability that allowed ...
- RCE bug in Elixir-based Paginator could expose users’ cloud assetson November 26, 2020 at 7:42 am
A remote code execution (RCE) vulnerability that could expose a users’ cloud assets has been patched in the open source, Elixir-based Paginator project. Discovered by security expert Peter Stöckli, ...
- Xbox bug could have allowed hackers to link gamer tags with players' emailson November 25, 2020 at 3:40 pm
The bug could have been exploited by playing around in a browser's developer console and editing a cookie field.
- Bed Bug Exterminator Dallas Provides Top-Quality Pest Control Service in Dallas, TXon November 25, 2020 at 6:22 am
Backed by a team of professionals, Bed Bug Exterminator Dallas offers quality Pest Control Service in Dallas. The experts are knowledgeable and skilled in their field area; therefore, guaranteeing ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.