Researchers at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm have developed a new technique to prevent pharmaceutical residues from entering waterways and harming wildlife.
The new water treatment technology – called membrane distillation – separates drug residues from sewage with the help of district heating, says who worked on the development project with IVL and Scarab Development AB.
Martin says that water vapor passes through a thin, hydrophobic membrane of material similar to Goretex, and through an air gap, where it condensed onto a cold surface. Drug residues collect on one side of the membrane and pure water on the other.
“There is currently no technology capable of doing this cleaning process on a large scale,” Martin says. “And for the membrane distillation process to work, the water temperature does not need to be very high, which is good.”
Pharmaceutical residues in wastewater have been found to alter fish behavior and could even affect the growth of algae. A recent study at Sweden’s Umeå University shows even low levels of Oxazepam detected in the Fyris River, in central Sweden, caused perch to become more antisocial, risk prone and active, making them an easier target for predators such as pike. The study measured levels of Oxazepam found in the perch, which were six times higher than in the water itself.
The study also indicated that the release of anti-anxiety drugs can affect entire ecosystems in a waterway, possibly contributing to an increases or decreases in the incidence of algae.
The Latest on: Wastewater treatment
via Google News
The Latest on: Wastewater treatment
- Editorial: Clean up processes at wastewater planton August 20, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Word that a recent mistake led to a major spill at Savannah’s President Street wastewater treatment plant elicits a irresistible, cheeky response: (the stuff treated at said plant) happens. The ...
- Dry Toilets: An Approach to Provide Safe Sanitation and Sustainable Sewage Treatment?on August 20, 2019 at 1:50 pm
In industrialized countries and most urban regions, usually centralized wastewater treatment and sewage plants or localized systems are implemented and work by piped systems or sanitary trucks. But ...
- Microbial Fuel Cells (MFCs) Markets to 2026: Huge Demand from Wastewater Treatment Applicationson August 20, 2019 at 1:20 pm
DUBLIN, Aug. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Microbial Fuel Cells (MFC) - Global Market Outlook (2017-2026)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Microbial Fuel Cells ...
- New system improves coking wastewater treatment efficiencyon August 20, 2019 at 11:42 am
BEIJING, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Chinese researchers have developed a system for the treatment of coking wastewater from large-scale industries with lower costs and higher efficiency. Heating coal over ...
- Water & Wastewater Treatment Markets, 2019 to 2025 - Worldwide Market Trends, Size & Share; Recent Developments; Industry Forecastson August 19, 2019 at 2:20 am
14.14. Kurita Water Industries Ltd. 14.15. Bio-Microbics, Inc. 14.16. Trojan Technologies Inc. (Subsidiary of Danaher Corporation) 14.17. Aquatech International Corporation 14.18. ASIO, spol. s r.o.
- Sanford Lab’s water treatment plant filters wastewateron August 18, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Ken Noren, foreman at the wastewater treatment plant at Sanford Lab, stands next to one of the filtration systems, which uses bacteria to remove ammonia and other pollutants from water siphoned from ...
- State fines Bethel Heights over its wastewater treatmenton August 17, 2019 at 12:09 am
FAYETTEVILLE -- The city of Bethel Heights faces a total of $122,400 in fines for violations involving its wastewater treatment plants, the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality told the city ...
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Market by Technology, Delivery Equipment, Chemicals, Instrumentation, Application - Global Forecast to 2025on August 16, 2019 at 10:30 am
DUBLIN, Aug. 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Water and Wastewater Treatment Market by Treatment Technology (Membrane Separation, Membrane Bio-Reactor), Delivery Equipment, Treatment Chemicals ...
- Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Service...on August 15, 2019 at 9:18 am
The "Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Service Market Analysis 2019" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market is accounted for ...
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Market Worth $211.3 Billion by 2025- Exclusive Report by Meticulous Research®on August 13, 2019 at 5:06 pm
London, Aug. 13, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- According to a new market research report “Water and Wastewater Treatment Market by Treatment Technology (Membrane Separation, Membrane Bio-Reactor ...
via Bing News