Researchers at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm have developed a new technique to prevent pharmaceutical residues from entering waterways and harming wildlife.
The new water treatment technology – called membrane distillation – separates drug residues from sewage with the help of district heating, says who worked on the development project with IVL and Scarab Development AB.
Martin says that water vapor passes through a thin, hydrophobic membrane of material similar to Goretex, and through an air gap, where it condensed onto a cold surface. Drug residues collect on one side of the membrane and pure water on the other.
“There is currently no technology capable of doing this cleaning process on a large scale,” Martin says. “And for the membrane distillation process to work, the water temperature does not need to be very high, which is good.”
Pharmaceutical residues in wastewater have been found to alter fish behavior and could even affect the growth of algae. A recent study at Sweden’s Umeå University shows even low levels of Oxazepam detected in the Fyris River, in central Sweden, caused perch to become more antisocial, risk prone and active, making them an easier target for predators such as pike. The study measured levels of Oxazepam found in the perch, which were six times higher than in the water itself.
The study also indicated that the release of anti-anxiety drugs can affect entire ecosystems in a waterway, possibly contributing to an increases or decreases in the incidence of algae.
The Latest on: Wastewater treatment
via Google News
The Latest on: Wastewater treatment
- $2.9 million upgrades nearly finished at Epping wastewater treatment planton August 22, 2019 at 4:29 pm
EPPING -- Work is nearly complete on a $2.9 million upgrade to the town’s wastewater treatment plant that will improve its processing and allow the town to increase the amount of revenue-generating ...
- Ontario to purchase W. 4th St. property for potential wastewater treatment planton August 21, 2019 at 6:47 pm
ONTARIO -- Ontario City Council has approved the purchase of nearly 70 acres as a possible location of its proposed wastewater treatment plant. At its Wednesday evening meeting, council unanimously ...
- Canton explores wastewater treatment optionson August 21, 2019 at 7:10 am
For years, the town of Canton’s municipal wastewater has been treated, free of charge, by the various operators of the town’s iconic paper mill, but a grant application to be filed by the town wants ...
- Industrial Waste Water Treatment Market By Type Analysis is Anticipated to Reach US$16.5 Bn by 2026on August 20, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Aug 21, 2019 (Global QYResearch via COMTEX) -- According to a report form Acumen Research and Consulting, the Industrial Waste Water Treatment Market size is expected to reach US$ 16.5 billion by 2026 ...
- Water & Wastewater Treatment Markets, 2019 to 2025 - Worldwide Market Trends, Size & Share; Recent Developments; Industry Forecastson August 19, 2019 at 2:20 am
14.14. Kurita Water Industries Ltd. 14.15. Bio-Microbics, Inc. 14.16. Trojan Technologies Inc. (Subsidiary of Danaher Corporation) 14.17. Aquatech International Corporation 14.18. ASIO, spol. s r.o.
- Sanford Lab’s water treatment plant filters wastewateron August 18, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Ken Noren, foreman at the wastewater treatment plant at Sanford Lab, stands next to one of the filtration systems, which uses bacteria to remove ammonia and other pollutants from water siphoned from ...
- State fines Bethel Heights over its wastewater treatmenton August 17, 2019 at 12:09 am
FAYETTEVILLE -- The city of Bethel Heights faces a total of $122,400 in fines for violations involving its wastewater treatment plants, the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality told the city ...
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Market by Technology, Delivery Equipment, Chemicals, Instrumentation, Application - Global Forecast to 2025on August 16, 2019 at 10:30 am
DUBLIN, Aug. 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Water and Wastewater Treatment Market by Treatment Technology (Membrane Separation, Membrane Bio-Reactor), Delivery Equipment, Treatment Chemicals ...
- Residents and businesses in Wabush to benefit from new industrial wastewater treatment planton August 15, 2019 at 9:45 am
WABUSH, NL, Aug. 15, 2019 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada recognizes that strategic investments in green infrastructure play a key role in supporting dynamic communities while creating good jobs ...
- Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Service...on August 15, 2019 at 9:18 am
The "Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Service Market Analysis 2019" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Industrial Wastewater Treatment Market is accounted for ...
via Bing News