Researchers at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm have developed a new technique to prevent pharmaceutical residues from entering waterways and harming wildlife.
The new water treatment technology – called membrane distillation – separates drug residues from sewage with the help of district heating, says who worked on the development project with IVL and Scarab Development AB.
Martin says that water vapor passes through a thin, hydrophobic membrane of material similar to Goretex, and through an air gap, where it condensed onto a cold surface. Drug residues collect on one side of the membrane and pure water on the other.
“There is currently no technology capable of doing this cleaning process on a large scale,” Martin says. “And for the membrane distillation process to work, the water temperature does not need to be very high, which is good.”
Pharmaceutical residues in wastewater have been found to alter fish behavior and could even affect the growth of algae. A recent study at Sweden’s Umeå University shows even low levels of Oxazepam detected in the Fyris River, in central Sweden, caused perch to become more antisocial, risk prone and active, making them an easier target for predators such as pike. The study measured levels of Oxazepam found in the perch, which were six times higher than in the water itself.
The study also indicated that the release of anti-anxiety drugs can affect entire ecosystems in a waterway, possibly contributing to an increases or decreases in the incidence of algae.
The Latest on: Wastewater treatment
via Google News
The Latest on: Wastewater treatment
- Longboat Key asking citizens to limit water use due to a wastewater main breakon June 30, 2020 at 10:31 am
The Town of Longboat Key is currently experiencing an emergency wastewater discharge incident and as a result citizens are being asked to limit their use of water during this time.
- Kerikeri Residents Lose Faith In Council’s Latest ETA For New Wastewater Treatment Plant Completionon June 29, 2020 at 9:45 pm
Angry Kerikeri residents say they have no faith their town’s new $27 million wastewater treatment plant will be working by January. “We were told by Far North District Council we would have ...
- Analysis of the COVID-19 Impact: Ultrafiltration Market 2020-2024 | Demand for Ultrafiltration in Wastewater Treatment to Augment Growth | Technavioon June 29, 2020 at 7:15 pm
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Ultrafiltration Market 2020-2024 (Graphic: Business Wire) LONDON-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--Technavio has been monitoring the ...
- Western Virginia Water Authority tests wastewater for fragments of COVID-19on June 29, 2020 at 6:13 pm
In the Roanoke Valley, a new type of COVID-19 testing could provide an early warning system, and help the health department and public officials make informed decisions. The Western Virginia Water ...
- Corpus Christi Can't Duck Suit Over $50M Wastewater Planton June 29, 2020 at 2:59 pm
The city of Corpus Christi can't get out of a lawsuit brought by Graham Construction Services over a soured $50 million contract to build a wastewater treatment plant, a Texas appellate court has ...
- Started with IAEA Support, China's Electron Beam Industry Opens World's Largest Wastewater Treatment Facilityon June 29, 2020 at 6:30 am
With a capacity to treat 30 million litres of industrial wastewater per day, the largest wastewater treatment facility using electron beam technology in the world was inaugurated in China this month.
- COVID-19 positively impact on the Global Biological Wastewater Treatment System Marketon June 29, 2020 at 2:38 am
All those are experiencing thought provoking situation due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 outbreak has positively impacted the biological wastewater treatment system market. According to the ...
- Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market Comprehensive Analysis 2020 And Top Key Players Analysison June 26, 2020 at 12:38 am
The Water Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market research provides a brief analysis comprising both primary and secondary research. The report provides the perception of all the key factors somehow ...
- Packaged Wastewater Treatment Market Size, Share and Forecast 2020-2025 | Covid-19 Impact Analysison June 23, 2020 at 10:18 pm
According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Packaged Wastewater Treatment Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020-2025,” the global packaged ...
- Implementation of New Technologies Expected to Propel the Growth of the Global Biological Wastewater Treatment Market - Research Diveon June 22, 2020 at 6:35 pm
The most-recent research report on the Coronavirus Impact Global Biological Wastewater Treatment Market has been published by Research Dive. This report reflects the influence of COVID-19 pandemic on ...
via Bing News