Emerging ethical dilemmas and policy issues in science and technology for 2013
As a new year approaches, the University of Notre Dame’s John J. Reilly Center for Science, Technology and Values has announced its inaugural list of emerging ethical dilemmas and policy issues in science and technology for 2013.
The Reilly Center explores conceptual, ethical and policy issues where science and technology intersect with society from different disciplinary perspectives. Its goal is to promote the advancement of science and technology for the common good.
The center generated its inaugural list with the help of Reilly fellows, other Notre Dame experts and friends of the center.
The center aimed to present a list of items for scientists and laypeople alike to consider in the coming months and years as new technologies develop. It will feature one of these issues on its website each month in 2013, giving readers more information, questions to ask and resources to consult.
The ethical dilemmas and policy issues are:
Personalized genetic tests/personalized medicine
Within the last 10 years, the creation of fast, low-cost genetic sequencing has given the public direct access to genome sequencing and analysis, with little or no guidance from physicians or genetic counselors on how to process the information. What are the potential privacy issues, and how do we protect this very personal and private information? Are we headed toward a new era of therapeutic intervention to increase quality of life, or a new era of eugenics?
Hacking into medical devices
Implanted medical devices, such as pacemakers, are susceptible to hackers. Barnaby Jack, of security vendor IOActive, recently demonstrated the vulnerability of a pacemaker by breaching the security of the wireless device from his laptop and reprogramming it to deliver an 830-volt shock. How do we make sure these devices are secure?
In three states — Nevada, Florida, and California — it is now legal for Google to operate its driverless cars. Google’s goal is to create a fully automated vehicle that is safer and more effective than a human-operated vehicle, and the company plans to marry this idea with the concept of the Zipcar. The ethics of automation and equality of access for people of different income levels are just a taste of the difficult ethical, legal and policy questions that will need to be addressed.
Scientists are attempting to use 3-D printing to create everything from architectural models to human organs, but we could be looking at a future in which we can print personalized pharmaceuticals or home-printed guns and explosives. For now, 3-D printing is largely the realm of artists and designers, but we can easily envision a future in which 3-D printers are affordable and patterns abound for products both benign and malicious, and that cut out the manufacturing sector completely.
Adaptation to climate change
The differential susceptibility of people around the world to climate change warrants an ethical discussion. We need to identify effective and safe ways to help people deal with the effects of climate change, as well as learn to manage and manipulate wild species and nature in order to preserve biodiversity. Some of these adaptation strategies might be highly technical (e.g. building sea walls to stem off sea level rise), but others are social and cultural (e.g., changing agricultural practices).
The Latest Bing News on:
Ethical dilemmas in science
- How to Restore Trust in the National Governmenton November 23, 2020 at 9:53 am
In the aftermath of the 2020 presidential election, an important task for national reconciliation is to begin to restore citizens’ trust in their national government. Confidence in our national ...
- Keeping Machine Learning Algorithms Honest in the ‘Ethics-First’ Eraon November 19, 2020 at 4:57 am
Today in so many industries, from manufacturing and life sciences to financial services and retail, we rely on algorithms to conduct large-scale machine learning analysis. They are hugely effective ...
- INTERVIEW-Novartis applies behavioral science to code of ethics, unearthing biases and compliance gapson November 10, 2020 at 1:46 pm
Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis has revamped its code of ethics, creating a more purposeful and interactive code with employee input from across the company, while also applying behavioral science ...
- Studies outline key ethical questions surrounding brain-computer interface techon November 10, 2020 at 9:49 am
Two new papers address these issues by outlining the outstanding ethical issues ... an assistant professor in NC State's Science, Technology & Society program and co-author of both papers.
- Despite Ethical Issues, Palantir Is a Can’t-Miss Opportunityon November 9, 2020 at 11:10 pm
Hence, you can understand why ethical investors have issues with PLTR stock ... but its also grown to be a significant data science issue. If we have more data and better models, we can provide ...
- ECC webinar Nov. 12 examines the ethical impact of COVID-19 on existing global issueson November 6, 2020 at 2:59 pm
"This webinar will consider the ethical implications of the ways the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted preexisting challenges by looking at four global issues ... and political science at ECC ...
- Is it time for an ethical renaissance in the engineering profession?on October 30, 2020 at 8:37 am
(professional engineering) licences and for upholding professional and ethical standards. These requirements are ... and technologies that cause knock-on social and environmental issues. Where better ...
- Ethical, Legal, and Regulatory Issues Associated with Neural Chimeras and Organoidson August 2, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Our work helps shape sound policies, inform public opinion, and advance the pursuit of science, engineering, and medicine. Throughout any given year, the National Academies convene hundreds of ...
- National Defense in the Age of Ethical AIon December 20, 2019 at 10:38 am
Who should grapple with the ethical dilemmas presented by machines that ... also will require developing science, technology, engineering, and mathematical (STEM) talent. “We talk about this ...
- Global Solutions Forum adds NPR’s Lulu Garcia-Navarro, panels on ethics in information sharing and AIon October 6, 2019 at 10:28 am
Joining Garcia-Navarro is Tamra Ryan, CEO of Women’s Bean Project, Dr. Andrew Taggart, founder of Askole, Matt Dewitte, owner and co-founder of Argot, and Paul Gibbons, University of Denver professor ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Ethical dilemmas in science
The Latest Bing News on:
Ethical dilemmas in technology
- The Law Offices of Frank R. Cruz Reminds Investors of Looming Deadline in the Class Action Lawsuit Against Pintec Technology Holdings Limited (PT)on November 27, 2020 at 10:55 am
The Law Offices of Frank R. Cruz reminds investors of the upcoming November 30, 2020 deadline to file a lead plaintiff motion in the class action filed on behalf of investors who purchased Pintec ...
- Managing ethics and privacy in the age of AIon November 25, 2020 at 3:59 pm
Many Australian organisations are experimenting with artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies to gain new insights from their information to create an advantage over their competitors ...
- Ban public real-time face biometrics, 4 in 10 researchers say in ethics surveyon November 19, 2020 at 2:15 pm
Some face biometrics researchers are deeply concerned about the ethics of activity in the field, while others do not see any problem with academic studies, according to a survey and an ...
- How Companies Can Develop Ethical AI Technology For The Futureon November 19, 2020 at 5:40 am
Companies cannot ignore the risks associated with ethical AI applications, but guidelines need to be more palatable and concrete in order to fuel progress.
- Elon Musk's Nueralink and other brain chips come with ethical issueson November 12, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Scroll down for videos Two papers have recently been published by researchers at North Carolina State University that discuss the ethical issues ... also questions the technology's ability ...
- With brain implants imminent, scientists point out big ethical issueson November 10, 2020 at 2:45 pm
Perhaps the best example of such technology ... comes to exploring ethical considerations: the psychological and physical effects of brain-computer interfaces. Multiple issues are presented ...
- Reproductive Technology and Genetics: Legal and Ethical Issueson November 7, 2020 at 2:01 pm
Topics covered may include: * Prenatal genetic screening and sex selection * Genetic enhancement * The sale of sperm and ova and access to reproductive technology * Surrogacy ... their derivatives * ...
- Work From Anywhere Trend Intensifying Ethics, And Compliance Issueson November 6, 2020 at 10:27 am
While the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the trend towards Work From Anywhere, much more needs to be accomplished to address the ethics and compliance issues endemic in this new environment.
- Ethical Issues With Business Technologyon November 4, 2020 at 4:00 pm
If you're employing any digital tools, you may face multiple ethical issues in technology. Whether you're an IT company or simply use a lot of IT, you need to deal with concerns of this sort.
- Ten steps to ethics-based governance of AI in health careon November 3, 2020 at 2:03 am
These individuals and their teams are best positioned to engage the intertwined issues of privacy, data, ethics, and technology. Health care organizations should consider establishing these C ...