New method developed by researchers could have broad impacts on the mobile Internet and wireless industries
Two professors at the University of California, Riverside Bourns College of Engineering have developed a new method that doubles the efficiency of wireless networks and could have a large impact on the mobile Internet and wireless industries.
Efficiency of wireless networks is key because there is a limited amount of spectrum to transmit voice, text and Internet services, such as streaming video and music. And when spectrum does become available it can fetch billions of dollars at auction.
The “spectrum crunch” is quickly being accelerated as customers convert from traditional cell phones to smartphones and tablets. For example, tablets generate 121 times more traffic than a traditional cell phone.
Without making networks more efficient, customers are likely to drop more calls, pay more money for service, endure slower data speed and not see an unlimited data plan again.
Current radios for wireless communications are half-duplex, meaning signals are transmitted and received in two separate channels. Full duplex radios, which transmit signals at the same time in the same frequency band, can double the efficiency of the spectrum.
However, to make a full duplex radio, one must solve a problem: interference between the transmission and receiving functions. The technology of full duplex radio is not yet ready for the current 3G and 4G networks.
The interference caused by signals from cell towers could be billions times more powerful than the ones towers are trying to pick up from a user’s smartphone. As a result, incoming signals would get drowned out.
The UC Riverside researchers have found a new solution called “time-domain transmit beamforming”, which digitally creates a time-domain cancellation signal, couples it to the radio frequency frontend to allow the radio to hear much weaker incoming signals while transmitting strong outgoing signals at the same frequency and same time.
This new solution is indispensable for a full-duplex radio in general while it is complementary to other required solutions or components. The new solution not only has a sound theoretical proof, but also leads to a lower cost, faster and more accurate channel estimation for robust and effective cancellation.
“We believe the future applications of full duplex radios are huge, ranging from cell towers, backhaul networks and wireless regional area networks to billions handheld devices for data intensive application such as FaceTime,” said Liang, who added that the researchers have had discussions with several major wireless telecommunication equipment companies.
Find out more: Facetime on Android
The Latest on: Efficiency of Wireless Networks
via Google News
The Latest on: Efficiency of Wireless Networks
- The energy harvesting systemmarket is projected to grow from USD 485 million in 2020 to USD 775 million by 2025, at a CAGR of 9.8% from 2020 to 2025on March 25, 2020 at 3:55 am
Key factors fueling the growth of this market include the growing demand for safe, power-efficient, and durable systems that require minimum or no maintenance; extensive implementation of IoT in ...
- Predictability, reliability key to private wireless networks: Special Reporton March 25, 2020 at 2:16 am
Interest in private wireless networks has ramped as new spectrum like CBRS in the U.S. and elsewhere becomes ... He said that elements like spectrum availability, such as CBRS, and automation of ...
- America is expected to hold largest share of energy harvesting system market in 2025on March 25, 2020 at 1:00 am
The energy harvesting system market is projected to grow from USD 485 million in 2020 to USD 775 million by 2025 it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9 8 from 2020 to 2025 Key factors fueling the ...
- CEVA Announces DSP and Voice Neural Networks Integration with TensorFlow Lite for Microcontrollerson March 24, 2020 at 4:48 am
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., March 24, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- CEVA, Inc. (NASDAQ: CEVA), the leading licensor of wireless connectivity and smart sensing t ...
- Wireless Mesh Network 2020 Market Segmentation,Application,Technology & Market Analysis Research Report To 2026on March 24, 2020 at 12:35 am
“Wireless Mesh Network Industry” WiseGuyReports.Com Publish a New Market Research Report On –" Wireless Mesh Network 2020 Market ...
- Samsung Introduces Industry’s First All-in-One Power ICs Optimized for Wireless Earbudson March 23, 2020 at 7:29 pm
For wireless charging, it supports the Wireless Power Consortium’s (WPC) Qi 1.2.4, the consortium’s latest wireless power transfer interface standard. To provide efficient power management ... digital ...
- Global Wireless Mesh Network Market to Expand as Leading Industries Invest in Emergency Communication Technologies - TMRon March 23, 2020 at 5:29 pm
The revenue index of the global wireless mesh network market is prognosticated to improve in the years to follow. Communication needs of industries are diversifying with each passing day. The complexi ...
- Darwin Convention Centre installs NETGEAR ProSafe wireless network to boost business efficiencyon March 4, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The new Darwin Convention Centre (DCC) is using a business-class wireless ... NETGEAR ProSafe network will enable the DCC to provide business-class communications to boost efficiency and improve ...
- Oil and Gas Wireless Sensor Networks Market Size, Growth Outlook 2020-2025, Demand, Evolving Technology, Boost Efficiency, Top Companieson February 28, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Feb 29, 2020 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Kenneth Research has published a detailed report on Oil and Gas Wireless Sensor Networks Market which has been categorized... Feb 29, 2020 (AmericaNewsHour) ...
- The Call Is Coming From Inside the House: Private Utility Networks Bring Efficiency, Control and Reliabilityon February 26, 2020 at 12:16 pm
Converged networks employing IP-advanced private wireless networks enable these systems to become more efficient and extend deeper into the distribution system, where they’re most needed. Massive ...
via Bing News