An international research breakthrough with bees means machines might soon be able to see almost as well as humans.
The Australian and French research shows that honeybees use multiple rules to solve complex visual problems.
Dr Dyer said that rule learning was a fundamental cognitive task that allowed humans to operate in complex environments.
“For example, if a driver wants to turn right at an intersection then they need to simultaneously observe the traffic light colour, the flow of oncoming cars and pedestrians to make a decision,” he said.
“With experience, our brains can conduct these complex decision-making processes, but this is a type of cognitive task beyond current machine vision.
“Our research collaboration between labs in Australia and France wanted to understand if such simultaneous decision making required a large primate brain, or whether a honeybee might also demonstrate rule learning.”
Dr Dyer said the research team lead author Dr Aurore Avargues-Weber (Université de Toulouse) trained individual honeybees to fly into a Y-shaped maze which presented different elements in specific relationships like above/below, or left/right.
With extended training the bees were able to learn that the elements had to have two sets of rules including being in a specific relationship like above/below, while also possessing elements differing from each other.
Dr Dyer said the findings showed that possessing a large complex brain was not necessary to master multiple simultaneous conceptual rule learning.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- TSA Issues Road Map to Tackle Insider Threat With Artificial Intelligenceon May 14, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Artificial Intelligence, probabilistic analytics and data mining are among tools the agency lists in a document it issued today loosely outlining the problem and the plan to create an “Insider Threat ...
- Music made by Artificial Intelligence has started winning awards. Grammys next?on May 14, 2020 at 8:59 am
When MBW ran a piece a couple of months ago on Artificial Intelligence creating a track in the style of Travis Scott, it created quite a stir in music industry circles. Those following the ‘robots ...
- Artificial Intelligence Chipsets Market 2020 Top Growing Companies, Structure Inspection and Forecast 2025on May 14, 2020 at 5:34 am
The Artificial Intelligence Chipsets Market is expected to exceed more than US$ 59 Billion by 2024 at a CAGR of 36% in the given forecast period. The scope of the report includes a detailed study of ...
- Artificial Intelligence Chipset Market 2020 Top Growing Companies, Structure Inspection and Forecast 2025on May 14, 2020 at 5:34 am
Market Research Engine has published a new report titled as "Artificial Intelligence Chipset Market Size By Component (Hardware, Software ), By Technology (Machine Learning, Natural Language ...
- Artificial Intelligence in Multiphoton Tomography: Atopic Dermatitis Diagnosison May 14, 2020 at 2:25 am
In this study, we demonstrate the feasibility of artificial intelligence for the diagnosis of AD from MPT images ... CNNs have been essential cogs in many of the most recent advances of computer ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- AIA Vision Week Keynote Speakers Announcedon May 12, 2020 at 9:24 am
Four exclusive keynote sessions have been scheduled for AIA Vision Week, a new virtual conference and products showcase from AIA and the Association for Advancing Automation (A3). The online event ...
- EFCO’s Eagle Eyes Embedded Vision Systems Now Available in DIN Rail Series For Factory Automation Applicationson May 12, 2020 at 6:28 am
EFCO, a world-class supplier of industrial PC, Gaming and EMS solutions, announced that it has expanded the company’s rugged Eagle Eyes Embedded Vision System with ...
- 2D and 3D Machine Vision Systems Market Have High Growth But May Foresee Even Higher Valueon May 8, 2020 at 6:09 am
Latest Study on Industrial Growth of 2D and 3D Machine Vision Systems Market 2019-2025. A detailed ...
- Global Machine Vision Market is Forecast to Reach US$13.36 Billion in 2024, Witnessing Growth at a CAGR of 6.51%, over the Period 2020-2024.on May 8, 2020 at 3:32 am
The "Global Machine Vision Market (by Type, Components, Products, Application, End-User & Region): Insights, Trends & Forecast" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Factors such ...
- Global Machine Vision Market - Trends and Forecasts to 2024on May 7, 2020 at 10:30 am
Factors such as surging urbanization, rising automotive production, increasing adoption of industrial robots, accelerating demand for artificial intelligence and growing popularity of smart cameras ...