The use of mushrooms by man for practical, culinary or recreational purposes is said to date back to at least Paleolithic times, with perhaps the best-known variety in recent times being Amanita muscaria or Fly Agaric. Nibbling on one side of this fungus made Alice grow in size and the other made her shrink, leading to some rather bizarre adventures and inspiring one of my favorite songs – White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. The favored psychoactive mushrooms of the drop-out 1960s, though, were members of the Psilocybe genus. Researchers now believe that they have found the optimum dose of the pure chemical found in those so-called magic mushrooms, a level which offers maximum therapeutic value with little risk of having a bad trip.
Psilocybin is produced by over 200 species of fungi and its hallucinogenic, often spiritual, influence has long been well known. It’s said to lead to a feeling of oneness with nature and the universe, of a great inner peace and calm. But, as if proof of the old adage, too much of this good thing can also result in powerful negative episodes marked by fear and anxiety, and has led to strict regulation or outright prohibition in many countries throughout the world.
The latest Psilocybin study at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine set out to discover the “sweet spot” dose of pure chemical Psilocybin that would offer users all the positive benefits while minimizing the negative effects. Researchers screened volunteers between the ages of 29 and 62, ensuring that they were of sound mind and body (as the saying goes), and chose 18 to undergo five sessions lasting eight hours each and timed a month apart. At four of these, the volunteers would receive varying doses of the chemical and a placebo (no drug) at the remaining session.
Lie back and look inward
In common with other studies at Hopkins, volunteers in this one were settled into a comfy couch in an aesthetically-pleasing, living-room-like environment during each session and were accompanied by trained monitors. The subjects were encouraged to lie back and relax, with mood-complementing classical and world music being played through headphones. Neither the volunteers or the monitors knew beforehand how much Psilocybin they were to receive at each session but subjects were given preparatory guidance and coaching.
The Latest on: Psilocybin
via Google News
The Latest on: Psilocybin
- Startup Making Dissolvable Psilocybin Strips Goes Publicon November 11, 2020 at 2:07 pm
Toronto-based Cybin hopes to prove its sublingual strips dosed with the active chemical in “magic mushrooms” could treat major depressive disorder when coupled with therapy.
- Psilocybin - One of the Biggest Winners of the 2020 U.S. Electionon November 11, 2020 at 12:10 pm
Psilocybin was one of the biggest winners on election night. All after Oregon became the first state to legalize its use with Measure 109. The state now joins the cities of Denver, Oakland, and Santa ...
- Revive Therapeutics advances psilocybin candidateon November 11, 2020 at 12:04 pm
(OTCPK:RVVTF +1.0%) announces that it has completed an oral thin-film strip product with psilocybin (the active ingredient in "magic mushrooms") in dosage forms between 1 mg and 20 mg.
- Inside Psilocybin’s Big Week, from a Pioneering Depression Study to Election Day Winson November 11, 2020 at 7:39 am
The hallucinogenic compound came to be a centerpiece of promising news in a roller-coaster stretch and finds an uncharted way forward.
- Psilocybin Mushrooms—Amid A Psychedelic Renaissance—Sets Premise Of Indie Comedy Light Yearson November 10, 2020 at 8:00 am
Filmmaker Colin Thompson’s latest comedy Light Years follows a thirty-something-year-old as he embarks on a cosmic vision quest—what the director calls a “Day-Glo indie comedy adventure romp” with the ...
- Novamind Supports Oregon Measure 109 to Responsibly Expand Patient Access to Psilocybin Therapyon November 10, 2020 at 5:30 am
TORONTO, ON / ACCESSWIRE / November 10, 2020 / Novamind Ventures Inc. (“Novamind”), a leading mental health and wellness company specialized in psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy, today announced its ...
- 'Magical Mushroom' Psilocybin May Help With Clinical Depressionon November 9, 2020 at 5:44 am
In clinical depression and related disorders, there have not been any significant treatment advancements in over a decade. A handful of biotech and pharmaceutical companies in the nascent psychedelics ...
- Psyched: Oregon Legalizes Psilocybin, Washington DC Decriminalizes Psychedelics, Cybin And Entheon To Go Publicon November 7, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Oregon has become the first state in US history to set up a program that regulates psilocybin, the active psychedelic ingredient in “magic ...
- Psilocybin: These are Some Top Companies That Could Benefit from Legalizationon November 6, 2020 at 1:45 am
With excitement gaining momentum, some of the top companies to watch include CYBIN Inc., Mind Medicine Inc. (OTC:MMEDF), COMPASS Pathways (NASDAQ:CMPS), Numinus Wellness Inc. (TSXV:NUMI), and Field ...
- New Study Finds Psilocybin A Quick And Effective Treatment For Depressionon November 5, 2020 at 2:49 pm
A new study published this week shows that psilocybin can be an effective and quick-acting treatment for major depressive disorder. Results of the study by researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bayview ...
via Bing News