The introduction of the white cane early in the last century gave blind and visually-impaired users a mobility tool that not only helped them to get around, but also allowed them to be seen by others.
Now researchers from Sweden’s Luleå University of Technology – the same place that designed the autonomous wheelchair – have developed and publicly tested a system which could potentially give wheelchair-bound blind people a virtual white stick to help them detect and avoid obstacles. An electric wheelchair has been fitted with a navigational laser scanner which provides virtual 3D maps of the surroundings, and sends feedback about any obstructions to the user via a haptic interface.
Using the time of flight technique, a pioneering navigational laser scanner developed by professor Kalevi Hyyppä of the University’s EISLAB sweeps the area around the wheelchair to produce a virtual 3D map of the surroundings. This information is sent to a haptic interface, which allows the user to “see or feel” obstacles such as open doors, or pedestrians, and use the joystick to navigate past them without so much as a bump.
The first public test run was undertaken by the project’s prospective PhD student Daniel Innala Ahlmark (who is himself visually-impaired), along one of the busy corridors of the University’s Computer Science, Electrical and Space Engineering Department. He remarked afterward that he felt safe when using the system, and that it was just “like using a white cane.”
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Global Shared Mobility Market, 2020-2030 - Industry Convergence and Disruptive Technologies are Key Growth Areas - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 27, 2020 at 11:18 am
The “Industry Convergence and Disruptive Technologies are Key Growth Areas of the Global Shared Mobility Market, 2030” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. This study aims to ...
- Global and Regional Autonomous Cars Market proceeds Research Report | Growth Forecast 2026on November 26, 2020 at 9:31 am
The 'Autonomous CarsMarket' research report assembled by Market Study Report, LLC, provides a succinct analysis ...
- The Holidays - A Time To Be Thankful For Electric And Autonomous Vehicleson November 26, 2020 at 3:30 am
That is my thankful wish for Electric and Autonomous Vehicles and the future of transportation not just in America, but globally. I am thankful for the robust discussions that are taking place in ...
- From Autonomous Cars To Green Hydrogen, Here Are The Top Techs For 2021on November 25, 2020 at 7:00 am
Autonomous vehicles, plastic recycling and green hydrogen will be among the key technologies to watch in 2021, says Lux Research.
- Global Shared Mobility Market Report 2020-2030: Future Growth Potential Enhanced by Opportunities in Mobility-as-a-Service and Autonomous Technologieson November 24, 2020 at 2:53 am
The "Industry Convergence and Disruptive Technologies are Key Growth Areas of the Global Shared Mobility Market, 2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This study aims to ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
Laser-guided feedback system
- Technology, Tactics, And Turkish Advice Lead Azerbaijan To Victory In Nagorno-Karabakhon November 14, 2020 at 4:04 am
He says those purchases included radar-jamming systems from Spain ... four missiles that are also produced by Turkey -- MAM laser-guided ‘smart micromunition’ missiles,” Shahbazov says.
- UAE Set to Get Its First Reaper Drones, Clinch F-35 Deal as Trump Administration Pushes Through Final Arms Saleson November 12, 2020 at 11:13 am
If completed, the sale will be the first American transfer of lethal unmanned aerial systems (UAS ... up to four hellfire missiles as well as laser-guided bombs and joint direct attack munitions.
- Targeting Pods Market Research Study including Growth Factors, Types and Application by regions from 2020 to 2025on November 6, 2020 at 4:45 am
Nov 06, 2020 (Heraldkeepers) -- Targeting pods are a device employed by ground-attack aircraft for identifying targets and guiding Precision-Guided Munitions (PGM), including laser-guided bombs ...
- Frucor Suntoryon October 29, 2020 at 9:35 pm
These include a new warehouse management system and automated laser guided vehicles in their Manukau ... and improve user experience by asking for feedback after every meeting.
- Explained: Why has the DRDO recently conducted a flurry of missile tests?on October 27, 2020 at 8:11 pm
Abhyas has been developed to be used as a target for evaluation of various missile systems. In another test on September 22, the Laser-Guided Anti ... user feedback that have to be incorporated.” ...