In June, Twitter users were mourning Michael Jackson before major news outlets reported his death. And, this month, as much of the nation was riveted by images of a balloon believed to be carrying a 6-year-old boy, every twist and turn was tweeted and retweeted instantaneously, drowning out just about everything else on the site.
As major events unfold, Twitter, Facebook and other similar services are increasingly becoming the nation’s virtual water coolers. They spread information quickly, sometimes before the mass media do, and their ricocheting bursts of text and links become an instant record of Americans’ collective preoccupations.
It’s no wonder, then, that pundits and investors are salivating over the prospect of an effective way to search this information. Twitter, of course, has its own search engine. But others with names like OneRiot, Collecta and Topsy are also vying to become the Google of real-time search.
Not to be outdone, Google and Microsoft reached separate agreements last week to bring Twitter posts to their search engines.
For all the buzz, however, one question remains unanswered: How easily can real-time search turn into real cash?
No one doubts that helping users find fresh, up-to-the-minute content on the Web is valuable. But plenty of other valuable Web services — including content sites, free Web e-mail and social networks — have struggled to find effective business models.
Check this out: Social Media Graveyard
The Latest on: Search engines
via Google News
The Latest on: Search engines
- ThoughtSpot Brings Search-Based Analytics to Google Cloud on November 13, 2018 at 10:22 am
Search and analytics company ThoughtSpot extended its partnership with Google Cloud. It is now certified to run its in-memory calculation engine on Google’s Cloud Platform (GCP). ThoughtSpot also adde... […]
- IAB: Mobile drove paid search growth in first-half of 2018, desktop revenue flat on November 13, 2018 at 8:58 am
Why it matters to marketers. Search remains the single dominant digital marketing channel in terms of revenue, with mobile as the growth engine. However, as more digital ad dollars migrate to ... […]
- Scientists develop microbiome search engine to assess microbiome novelty and impact on November 13, 2018 at 6:25 am
Scientists from the Qingdao Institute of Bioenergy and Bioprocess Technology (QIBEBT), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), developed a way to objectively evaluate the novelty and impact of plethora of ... […]
- Frere Enterprises: Search Engine Optimization, to Better Optimize a Business' Customer Reach on November 13, 2018 at 5:37 am
PETALUMA, Calif., November 13, 2018 (Newswire.com) - When running a business, it takes pulling together a lot of strings to make it functional and presentable. In this day and age of technology. Havin... […]
- Pratt & Whitney Canada Delivers First PW127G Engines Destined for Canadian Fixed-Wing Search & Rescue Operations on November 13, 2018 at 5:35 am
MONTREAL, Nov. 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Pratt & Whitney Canada, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (UTX), today announced that it recently started delivering PW127G engines to Airbus ... […]
- New Integration of WRENCH Solutions' SmartProject Engineering & Construction Industry Software with dtSearch® Engine on November 13, 2018 at 5:05 am
dtSearch provides document filters to parse a wide variety of data formats and text retrieval to instantly search terabytes of data. Together, the companies announce WRENCH's integration of the dtSear... […]
- Turkey’s Search Engine Yaani Has Been Downloaded 7 Million Within a Year on November 9, 2018 at 4:13 am
Launched almost a year ago, Turkey’s search engine, Yaani has been downloaded 7 million times, with around 2 million searches conducted daily on average. This press release features multimedia. View t... […]
- AI2’s Semantic Scholar spices up academic search engine with blogs, videos and more on November 8, 2018 at 2:08 pm
You wouldn’t use an academic search engine to look for cat videos — but if there’s a video with cats in it that goes with an academic paper, the latest version of Semantic Scholar just might ... […]
- Six Essential Tips For Voice Search Optimization on November 8, 2018 at 4:00 am
When you’re typing something into a search engine, you’re likely stringing keywords together and most sites are optimized for that type of search. Think “Italian food San Diego.” But when you’re talki... […]
via Bing News