Plans to boost food production in Britain and reduce its impact on the environment have been unveiled.
The government’s 20-year food strategy includes making land available for people to grow their own food and more healthy cooking courses.
The Tories said ministers “belatedly” recognised the need for food security after a decade of declining production.
Environment Secretary Mr Benn unveiled the government’s Food 2030 plan at the Oxford Farming Conference and said a rising population and climate change meant food could not be taken for granted.
The document includes proposals for a “healthy food code of conduct” to help people choose what food to buy – ideas include clearer labelling, smaller portions for “energy dense” or high salt foods, reducing fat and sugar in foods and nutrition information on restaurant menus.
The government also wants less food waste, more food bought in season to reduce environmental impact and to encourage people to buy sustainably-farmed food.
It says it will pilot healthy cooking classes for “at risk” families as part of efforts to tackle obesity and will help local landowners and community groups work together to make land available temporarily, to grow food.
The Latest on: Food security
via Google News
The Latest on: Food security
- FAO + the United States of America: Enhancing food security. Protecting global stability. Promoting trade.on March 27, 2020 at 11:33 am
The United States of America and FAO join forces to: Increase the resilience of agriculture, enhance food security and improve livelihoods through better disaster response and preparedness (together ...
- The COVID-19 pandemic is a food security crisison March 27, 2020 at 10:09 am
The COVID-19 pandemic is a food security crisis. Though it is impacting all Americans, the most vulnerable are being hit the hardest. During this pandemic, hunger programs should be strengthened not ...
- Lebanon: Inter-Agency - Food Security and Agriculture Sector Chapter - 2020 Update of the Lebanon Crisis Response Planon March 27, 2020 at 7:53 am
The theory of change underpinning the Food Security and Agriculture Sector strategy is built on the following result chain: • If the sector contributes to the improvement of food availability, access, ...
- Editor’s Notebook: Colorado’s food security starts with our farmers and rancherson March 27, 2020 at 6:03 am
As is common in a time of uncertainty and fear, people are hoarding whatever makes them feel safer, whether it be freezers full of meat, closets stuffed with cleaning supplies or packages of toilet ...
- The Elanco Foundation Announces Efforts to Support Food Security Amidst COVID-19 Crisison March 27, 2020 at 5:30 am
Dodge, Iowa, Clinton, Ind., the Kansas City area, and Greenfield, Ind. communities. The Elanco Foundation will continue to monitor the emerging food security issues arising from the COVID-19 crisis in ...
- Brazil meat processors want to keep output, food securityon March 26, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Brazil will continue to play a key role in guaranteeing global food security in the face of widespread lockdowns to contain contagion from the novel coronavirus, an industry group executive said on ...
- World food security at risk as exporters curb sales, importers buy more amid global lockdownson March 26, 2020 at 10:55 am
Global food security concerns are mounting with around a fifth of the world's population already under lockdown to fight the widening coronavirus pandemic that has infected over 470,000 people across ...
- Why Govt’s Food Security Pledge is Unlikely to Help the Poor During 21-Day India Lockdownon March 26, 2020 at 5:27 am
The government has neither explained the source of this Rs 1.7 lakh crore package nor can it ensure that the poor get immediate relief through many of the measures announced.
- StePac's Functional Packaging Enhances Food Safety and Securityon March 26, 2020 at 4:00 am
The European Organization for Packaging and the Environment (EUROPEN) called on the European Commission on 20 March to recognise packaging ...
- Food Security Concerns Stoked as Exporters Curb Sales, Importers Buy Moreon March 26, 2020 at 1:46 am
World Food Security at Risk as Exporters Curb Sales, Importers Buy More SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Global food security concerns are mounting with around a fifth of the world's population already under ...
via Bing News