Plans to boost food production in Britain and reduce its impact on the environment have been unveiled.
The government’s 20-year food strategy includes making land available for people to grow their own food and more healthy cooking courses.
The Tories said ministers “belatedly” recognised the need for food security after a decade of declining production.
Environment Secretary Mr Benn unveiled the government’s Food 2030 plan at the Oxford Farming Conference and said a rising population and climate change meant food could not be taken for granted.
The document includes proposals for a “healthy food code of conduct” to help people choose what food to buy – ideas include clearer labelling, smaller portions for “energy dense” or high salt foods, reducing fat and sugar in foods and nutrition information on restaurant menus.
The government also wants less food waste, more food bought in season to reduce environmental impact and to encourage people to buy sustainably-farmed food.
It says it will pilot healthy cooking classes for “at risk” families as part of efforts to tackle obesity and will help local landowners and community groups work together to make land available temporarily, to grow food.
The Latest on: Food security
via Google News
The Latest on: Food security
- Food Banks Are Overrun, as Surging Hunger Meets Dwindling Supplieson April 9, 2020 at 2:03 am
D.C. She has studied food security for more than a quarter century. “People love the phrase ‘the perfect storm,’” she added, “but nothing is built for this.” Feeding America, the nation’s largest ...
- Rice & wheat prices surge amid fears Covid-19 lockdown may threaten global food securityon April 9, 2020 at 2:02 am
“Unlike other sectors, agriculture is heavily affected by the timing of the lockdown, rather than the duration, because of the strict planting and harvesting calendar,” said Samarendu Mohanty, Asia ...
- DA's 'Plant, Plant, Plant' to help sustain food securityon April 9, 2020 at 1:53 am
BUILD, Build, Build temporarily out. Plant, Plant, Plant in. To help communities sustain food security even under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), the Department of Agriculture (DA) boosted its ...
- Food security fears stoked as exporters curb saleson April 7, 2020 at 1:00 am
Global food security concerns are mounting, with some nations contemplating restricting the flow of staples, as around a fifth of the world's population goes under lockdown. But protectionism could ...
- Southern Africa Food Security Outlook Update, March 2020 to September 2020on April 6, 2020 at 6:46 pm
In much of the region, the primary harvest is expected to improve food security outcomes; however, in the parts of DRC, southern Mozambique, and much of Zimbabwe Crisis (IPC Phase 3) outcomes are ...
- Khusro Bakhtiar removed as food security minister in yet another cabinet shake-upon April 5, 2020 at 5:00 pm
In yet another major cabinet reshuffle, the premier on Monday replaced Makhdoom Khusro Bakhtiar with PTI leader Syed Fakhar Imam as Federal Minister for National Food Security. Bakhtiar has instead ...
- Food Security and a Global Pandemic: What You Need to Knowon April 3, 2020 at 10:01 pm
We already know that the virus is affecting workplaces, our social behavior, and our basic habits, but what’s the bigger picture about food security, food waste, food loss, sustainability, food ...
- Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security Commends Swift and Generous Government Action to Support Emergency Food Reliefon April 3, 2020 at 4:55 pm
MISSISSAUGA, ON, April 3, 2020 /CNW/ - The Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security commended the Prime Minister's announcement today of $100 million to support emergency food organizations ...
- Bullock ramps up food securityon April 3, 2020 at 10:43 am
and announced enhanced food security measures. "Hard-working Montanans have been forced to take on an even greater challenge during the COVID-19 emergency," Bullock said in a call with reporters.
- WFP extends food security assistance to the royal government of Bhutan for COVID-19 responseon April 2, 2020 at 8:31 am
“The Royal Government has taken a proactive approach to address the emergency, which is putting increased pressure on the country’s health system as well as food security,” said Svante Helms, Head of ...
via Bing News