Plans to boost food production in Britain and reduce its impact on the environment have been unveiled.
The government’s 20-year food strategy includes making land available for people to grow their own food and more healthy cooking courses.
The Tories said ministers “belatedly” recognised the need for food security after a decade of declining production.
Environment Secretary Mr Benn unveiled the government’s Food 2030 plan at the Oxford Farming Conference and said a rising population and climate change meant food could not be taken for granted.
The document includes proposals for a “healthy food code of conduct” to help people choose what food to buy – ideas include clearer labelling, smaller portions for “energy dense” or high salt foods, reducing fat and sugar in foods and nutrition information on restaurant menus.
The government also wants less food waste, more food bought in season to reduce environmental impact and to encourage people to buy sustainably-farmed food.
It says it will pilot healthy cooking classes for “at risk” families as part of efforts to tackle obesity and will help local landowners and community groups work together to make land available temporarily, to grow food.
The Latest on: Food security
via Google News
The Latest on: Food security
- DC Nonprofit Dreaming Out Loud Recognized with National Award for Food and Economic Justice Work in Nation's Capitalon October 22, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Bradshaw sits on the District of Columbia Food Policy Council, and DOL helped pass the DC Urban Farming and Food Security Act and develop and advance the Produce Plus Program, Cottage Food Law, and ...
- Food security symposiums in Des Moines, Ghana aim for green revolution in Africaon October 22, 2019 at 9:23 am
Food security symposiums in Des Moines, Ghana aim for green revolution in Africa Africa has the potential to feed itself and those who gathered at the symposiums in Iowa and Ghana are focused on that ...
- HGL to meet Ghana’s food security needs by 2023on October 22, 2019 at 9:13 am
Lilian Nekpe, Factory Superintendent of HGL Company, an agro-based and agro-processing entity in Ho on Monday said they are seeking private-public partnerships to operate at full-scale to meet Ghana’s ...
- The UAE Calls for Innovative Ideas in Finding Solutions to Global Food Security Challengeson October 22, 2019 at 5:16 am
UAE Minister for State for Food Security reveals the country's plans to address global food security challenges through the "FoodTech Challenge" ROME, Oct. 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- On the occasion of ...
- Rwanda: How Rural Women Are Helping to Improve Food Securityon October 21, 2019 at 11:12 pm
"We were growing poor seeds of beans on 0.5 hectares where we used to harvest only 300 Kilogrammes. We used to face food security issues and we could not satisfy all children's needs such as paying ...
- United Way Launches Food Security Initiative in Peel Regionon October 17, 2019 at 1:57 pm
General Mills investment will increase access to nutritious, culturally appropriate and affordable food in Mississauga General Mills is one of the world’s leading food companies, operating in more ...
- Experts on food security to hold public discussionon October 16, 2019 at 9:10 pm
Global experts on hunger and food security will join a panel discussion at Temple Emanuel, 7 Haggetts Pond Road, Andover, on Sunday, Oct. 27, at 9:30 a.m. The event, titled “Do One Thing to Fight ...
- Food security in small islands: Getting crop smart in a warming worldon October 16, 2019 at 3:29 am
Small island developing states, commonly referred to as SIDS, thus need innovative tools to mitigate such impacts for future food security, especially with figures putting the proportion of ...
- Ensured food security of over 8.5 crore Bangla people through Khadya Sathi scheme: Mamataon October 16, 2019 at 2:16 am
The West Bengal has ensured food security to more than 8.5 crore people residing in the state under the `Khadya Sathi` scheme, claimed Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on the occasion of World Food Day.
- OPINION: Women and food security: the case for food system transformationon October 16, 2019 at 2:05 am
food security and sovereignty. By changing the paradigms and disrupting the status quo, Lakshmi’s lived experience shows that change is possible when there is real action.
via Bing News